Pathtags

jeepdelfuego

I found one two days ago. They are not trackable like travel bugs, and the intention is not to replace geocoins, as far as I can tell. They seem to be collectibles and signature items. The one I found bears the name of the cacher who left it. After I entered the tag's serial number (and signed up for an account) I read that I am welcome to keep the tag. The tag's owner is notified that I logged it, and I can see the owner's profile. I do not want to keep it, so I will place it in another cache.

I took it thinking that it was like a geocoin, but now that I know more about them, I think I will just not take the next one I find. I am not interested in collecting things.

They are similar to geocoins with one major difference:

When a geocoin gets taken from a cache and then is never seen again, the owner is disappointed.

When a pathtag gets taken from a cache and then is never seen again, that's what the owner expected!

edit to add: this is neither a criticism of geocoins nor an endorsement of pathtags.

I appreciate the people who release geocoins despite the high risk of losing them.

I also appreciate the people who leave pathtags for others to find and keep. I have a modest collection of about 8 of them, and I'm leaning toward getting some of my own to leave when I find great caches.

Edited by hukilaulau