Night Caches

Team Darkwing

I am still new to Geocaching. I have put out several caches. All traditional and 1 multi. I saw on the Groundspeak store website about the tags for night caches. I can't find any rules for this type of a cache. Is it the same as a traditional one? And does anyone have any tips on placing one?

Edited by Team Darkwing

a night cache is any kind of cache that can only be done at night. most of them are multis or mystery caches, and most of them use reflective markers which can only be seen at night when shone upon with a flashlight. but there's many different other flavors of them as well.

the best advice would be: do a few of them yourself before placing one.

Edited by dfx

I have placed a few night time only caches. With mine I use fire tacks to mark the path to the cache. I also use a very strong dive light when I set one up. This will increase the difficlty rating because lot of cacher like to use LED based flash lights whick I do not recomend.

You should plan on spending many nights when placing a night cache, you may have to redo the path several times before it will be ready for prime time

There are other types of night caches too.

The one that comes immediately to mind is one where you have to bring your TV remote. When you get to the coords you hit the button on it and a light lights up in response. The cache is within ten feet of the light.

(it didn't work when I was there though. High maintenance)

There's one in Seattle where you can find it in the day, but it's a night cache because there's a fantastic light show right there at night. The cache is designed to find it at night so you can see the lights.

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...1a-49a8513272bf

That's a link to some of the night caches in the area. Read some of those descriptions and that will give you some ideas of the different types of night caches.

Well, I wouldn't say that they can only be done at night... We found one during daylight...

I have a friend who loves to find night caches in the day, probably because he does not like caching at night. I have found a few with him, and without him, for similar reasons -- sometimes its hard to go out caching at night, although its easier now that the time has changed. In any event, he told me that some kind of fire tacks are easier than others. I think he said that brown tacks are the hardest during the day. But don't quote me on that.

Edited by mulvaney
Well, I wouldn't say that they can only be done at night... We found one during daylight... A lot tougher that way. But we did find it.

yeah, i realized that minutes after posting it, but was too lazy to edit my post. i should've said "any cache that's primarily meant to be done at night" or something like that.

Here is a night cache (GC2FEB9) I am going to do in the light of the next full moon, Saturday. It may be a little cold but the walking from place to place should keep me warm. I recently found the rest of the caches here in the daytime, 11 different ones, and I probably walked 4 or 5 miles all together. Hopefully it won't be that much distance in the dark. Reading the description may give you ideas on how to do yours.

I like the idea of a night cache.

Unfortunately, most if not all park areas around me close up at dusk.

That would definitely need to be taken into consideration when placing one.

Definitely something to consider. I purchased Fire Tacks about 6 years ago with the idea of creating a night cache, but all public lands that I could find around here are not open at night. State parks, WMAs, county parks all close at night.

Some small municipal parks may be open, but are surrounded by homes. The last thing the neighbors are going to want to deal with are groups of people showing up and shining flashlights all over the place. A sure way to bring the police. Another thing to consider.

I still have the Fire Tacks. Maybe some day I'll find a place that I can use them.