Banned in a cache, alright for a cache?

Jonovich

Hi folks,

Found a cache yesterday that I thought was a little ironic, we all know lighters are not allowed in caches for trades, however the cache I found was in a lighter! The bottom had to be unscrewed and the cache log was rolled up and stuck inside where the gas normally goes! Not seen a cache like this before and wondered if it was something anyone had seen elsewhere?

Cheers,

Jon.

While I wouldn't want to comment on whether an empty lighter would make a good cache container, surely the reason they are not allowed in caches is they could cause a fire (if the cache gets hot in the sun for example, or a small child finds it and plays around with it).

If the gas, and presumably the flint?, has been removed then there is no risk of fire or anyone hurting themselves with it so it becomes no more than a strange shaped micro, carrying no more risk than a film pot.

Part of the trend to try and find unusual or unique containers I guess.

How was it sealed to keep the log dry?

Thinking about it, I guess it may encourage kids to play with lighters if they find this cache first? Never checked for a flint I guess really I should have tested it first before unscrewing the base, could have been interesting had it been real :laughing:

It was a disposable lighter, it seems the bottom of it unscrews and must be gas tight, or at least originally was? The log was placed in a small bag, rolled up and stuffed inside. It was a Tweezers job to retrieve, but log was nice and dry.

Jon

How was it sealed to keep the log dry?

Somebody getting ideas??? :laughing:

No way. I can think of half a dozen better containers of a similar size as an old disposable lighter.

Was just curious as to how it was sealed to keep it dry assuming the bottom had to be cut away to enable the log to go in.

It's not even the sort of caontainer that would blend in to the environment to create a tricky find - unless the 'environment' comprised litter so that an old disposable lighter would not stand out like a sore thumb.

Seems to me like someone has either been too lazy (or too much of a cheapskate) to buy one of the many much better similar sized containers for the job.

Or as I said, it's part of the trend of people trying to use "unusual" containers in the hope it may make their hide more clever or difficult. Snail shells, bolts, rocks (purpose made for the job) are quite clever as those items blend in with their surroundings.

An emptied disposable lighter is not clever, in my opinion.

So no, I am not getting ideas :rolleyes:

What kind of environment would a lighter cache blend in with?

I'm sure there must be places where it would not just be picked up and thrown away by someone, but I can't think of any.

I know containers don't have to blend in with their surroundings, but I would have thought if you were going for something to make the find more difficult, then the one thing you want to do is make the container almost invisible in its surroundings.

Maybe a shelf in the local newsagents? :laughing:

St Alfege's (now archived) was a lager can in a church yard.

Is it a sign that you're becoming a grumpy old man when....

You see a beer can in a churchyard and instead of thinking

"Hey, I wonder if that's a cache"

you think

"Darn underage kids drinking and littering everywhere again"

:laughing:

And what does it signify when you see a beer can and think it's a bomb? as the Met did just before I found it:

d81e28c8-ce3a-4e60-b8c1-2ae89bd5714a.jpg

Ah, (s)he put two kisses at the end of the note.

She.

What kind of environment would a lighter cache blend in with?

I can think of lots. Clearly you lead a very sheltered life! :rolleyes:;)

Talking of cache containers, I was considering using some things I found whilst at work over the years - but Deci wouldn't publish my 'Crack Pipes through the ages' series. :laughing: Not sure why.