Non PMO Logging PMO Caches

ikonixx

I though I read somewhere on the forums that non members could log a PMO cache if they were with a member somehow. Was I dreaming? I think so.

The reason I ask is that my daughter went out caching with me tonight and can't log 2 caches that she signed because they are PMOs. I really don't see how this would be possible as it would defeat the purpose of PMO caches but I swear I saw that somewhere. Thanks for the help.

Most owners of premium member caches are happy to disable the PM only requirement to allow others in the family to log a find on the cache. I have done it many times for others, and on the few PMO caches we found on vacation last year, the owner was happy to disable for 30 minutes or so to allow our family logs.

But there are ways around that....usually!

I tried the back-door method once, and 2 of my 3 kids got their visit logged and then the third couldn't. The owner refused to respond.

They cannot access the cache page, but the "log page" can be accessed if the Premium Member copies and pastes the URL and sends it to them.

I had just the other day heard of a much easier method on one of the geocaching podcasts. Assuming the non-premium logger is in the same location, and using the same computer, the premium member logs the cache as a find. They then go to log another find on the same cache, but they log out, and log back in with the non-premium account. Voila, log your non-member find on the MOC. :rolleyes:

Good points. Thanks!

I figured I'd better test that, since I told you about it. I went to my only MOC, which is long since archived. I was logged in with my Mr.Yuck account. I was at the "post a log entry" screen. I then logged out in the upper right hand corner of the webpage, and it immediately takes you to the log-in screen. Then I logged in with the non-premium account of my beer drinking Mexican sock puppet clone (a hand puppet Geocaching mascot). It takes you right back to the "post a log entry" screen. I then posted a log with the non-premium account. Works like a charm. Thank you xpunkx and Geocaching Podcast. :rolleyes:

They cannot access the cache page, but the "log page" can be accessed if the Premium Member copies and pastes the URL and sends it to them.

Too complicated. Just start to log some random cache. When on the log page change the ?ID=XXXXXXXX to ?WP=PMO GC # and refresh the url (little green arrow on the right side). You now on the PMO log page.

Or use geocachingadmin.com.

Edited by jholly

I though I read somewhere on the forums that non members could log a PMO cache if they were with a member somehow. Was I dreaming? I think so.

The reason I ask is that my daughter went out caching with me tonight and can't log 2 caches that she signed because they are PMOs. I really don't see how this would be possible as it would defeat the purpose of PMO caches but I swear I saw that somewhere. Thanks for the help.

Just pay the $30 then you have no problem logging them, and stop trying to beat the system. You use the site and take advantage of the benefits why not "do the right thing" and pay your way. The dirty little secret is that it costs money to run the site. :rolleyes:

Scubasonic

I would hope, since it would be a legitimate find, GC would reverse the deletion and lock the log so this should not be an issue.

If not I'll send them a picture of my daughter crying. :rolleyes:

I think anyone that is not a PM and finds a way to log their find on PM hide should have their log deleted. JMO

Scubasonic

Just pay the $30 then you have no problem logging them, and stop trying to beat the system. You use the site and take advantage of the benefits why not "do the right thing" and pay your way. The dirty little secret is that it costs money to run the site. :rolleyes:

Scubasonic

Get real. Jeremy has stated that geocaching will always be free. period. end of discussion. The loophole has been broken before and when pointed out it was hotfixed right away. That is the way GS wants it.

We are talking about the OP's young daughter, no need for a PM account here, and no system beating involved. The loophole has been a de facto family account for like forever.

Scubasonic

His example is the reason the work around for logging PMOs should be in place. He has a premium membership, but you would want everyone in his house to have one also? In a family of five that would be $150 a year.

I think it is great that the kids can have their own accounts, and log the caches they find. I think that will really make them feel good. However, it could really get expensive, if you had to get a premium membership for each one of them.

Scubasonic

Did it occour to you that some of us are on a tight budget and can't afford multiple memberships at once? Way to hang a guy before you know what's really going on. Oh, and thanks for making a noob feel welcome too.

Edit to say that if you read above I stated that I would use this method until I can upgrade her account. I know that this site costs money to run. That's why I got my membership.

Edited by ikonixx

Scubasonic

Get real. Jeremy has stated that geocaching will always be free. period. end of discussion. The loophole has been broken before and when pointed out it was hotfixed right away. That is the way GS wants it.

We are talking about the OP's young daughter, no need for a PM account here, and no system beating involved. The loophole has been a de facto family account for like forever.

Jholly well including you and the father looks like I'm the only one keeping it "REAL" Maybe this might be a good time for the father to explain what you can and can't do to his daughter, and live within the rules of the forum, rather then finding a way to beat the system I look at this as "FREELOADING" doesn't matter if you are 6 or 60 years old, bottom line is we PMs are supporting the "FREELOADERS" but I guess welcome to the USA, if everyone took you and the fathers attitude and no one had a PM how long do you think the site would last Holly? I'll pay my fair share

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic

Scubasonic

Did it occour to you that some of us are on a tight budget and can't afford multiple memberships at once? Way to hang a guy before you know what's really going on. Oh, and thanks for making a noob feel welcome too.

Edit to say that if you read above I stated that I would use this method until I can upgrade her account. I know that this site costs money to run. That's why I got my membership.

Yes it did occur to me, but guess what stay within the rules till such time that you can afford it, then get all the PM caches you want. Can't you be satisfied with just getting the NON-PM caches till then? or is cheating a better way to go.

Sorry for not making you feel welcome, by accepting the fact that it is OK to cheat the rules.

Scubasonic

Wow, just wow. You definitely have issues that I will be steering well clear of in the future, SS. Take care, and I really hope you find a proper outlet for your anger some day. Of course you may respond any way you wish, but just know that I will not respond to your posts in the future. Take care and God bless.

i have no problem with the kids of a PM to log PMO caches

that can be achieved by somehow linking the accounts

the problem i have is with the rest of the regular members, and that has become a problem only since the BOT attacks

i have been PM before i even found my first cache and i never even considered setting up a PMO cache, all are out there for everyone to find

however since the BOT issues we had recently, and since GS chose to do nothing about the situation i figured i would change them to PMO, well guess what the current loophole does not protect my caches from this BOT and that seriously p****s me off because i pay my dues to support this site and they don't seem to give a dadgum

Edited by t4e

I think it's definitely alright in this case for someone's child to log PMO caches. It would be so expensive, especially if you have a lot of kids to purchase PM accounts for them all.

Rules are Rules, once you start accepting this you get on a slippery slope......So then where do you draw the line, once this type of behavior is acceptable.......certain age maybe?, number of kids? no enough money? it is not like there are no other caches to find but PM caches........

Scubasonic

The PMO backdoor is a GOOD thing. There is no reason why GS should screw over the immediate family of a Premium Member. I already pay my $30, so why would I have to pay $90 in order to have my wife and the dog enter logs on the PMO caches we go to together? They never cache without me, the premium member, and we only need a single PM account for access to all the other PM features. I don't need 3 separate PM accounts to all have PQ's to generate. Only 1 PM account is needed per household.

It's really not much different than those who make a team name that is composed of a group of people. Just in this case, each individual member of the household can write their own log and keep track of caches independently.

As for entering the logs, the method described a few posts ago of logging out and logging back in is by far the easiest method for getting the basic account setup for entering the PM log. If you have your browser setup to remember passwords, it takes all of 15 seconds, 6 mouse clicks, and no typing to switch between accounts during the logging process (yes, I really timed it to come up with 15 seconds at the long end... connection speed will vary that, of course).

As stated, after the PM finishes their log and returns to the cache page, click on the "log your visit" link again. Click the logout link at the top right of the page. If you are using FireFox and have it remembering your logins/passwords, just double click in the username field and you'll get a list of all the usernames you've stored on the computer. Click the one you want to use and click the login button. Ba-da-bing... you're back at the log entry screen under a new username and ready to hand the keyboard to your "basic" family member. It couldn't be easier (and it WAYYYY easier than trying to copy/paste that stupid ID number between cache listings and across multiple login accounts).

Scubasonic

Yes it did occur to me, but guess what stay within the rules till such time that you can afford it, then get all the PM caches you want. Can't you be satisfied with just getting the NON-PM caches till then? or is cheating a better way to go.

Sorry for not making you feel welcome, by accepting the fact that it is OK to cheat the rules.

Scubasonic

How is it cheating? If a non-pm is with a pm and they find and log the cache they have earned the right to log it on line. There is nothing in the guidelines that says you have to be a pm to log a pm cache.

Wow, just wow. You definitely have issues that I will be steering well clear of in the future, SS. Take care, and I really hope you find a proper outlet for your anger some day. Of course you may respond any way you wish, but just know that I will not respond to your posts in the future. Take care and God bless.

Not angry, just happen to know the difference between following the Rules, and not following the rules, of the forum, and right and wrong that's all.

Guess everything is bigger in Texas :rolleyes:

SS

Edited by Scubasonic
Maybe this might be a good time for the father to explain what you can and can't do to his daughter, a live within the rules of the forum, rather then finding a way to beat the system

Maybe this is a good time to explain to you that no one is beating the system. The work around is left in place for a reason. Groundspeak has their reasons for allowing the work around. If they didn't they could close it in no time, I'm sure. (and for sure they would not tell people how to do it.)

I can think of any number of good reasons why some people do not have premium memberships, and not all of them are freeloaders.

Non-premium members support the site financially as well, by being exposed to lots advertisements that Groundspeak gets paid for. Premium members aren't exposed to those ads, depriving Groundspeak of income from that stream.

There are more ways to contribute financially to Groundspeak than just premium memberships, and I'm glad that Groundspeak recognizes that.

I think it's definitely alright in this case for someone's child to log PMO caches. It would be so expensive, especially if you have a lot of kids to purchase PM accounts for them all.

Rules are Rules, once you start accepting this you get on a slippery slope......So then where do you draw the line, once this type of behavior is acceptable.......certain age maybe?, number of kids? no enough money? it is not like there are no other caches to find but PM caches........

Scubasonic

I think I am beginning to see the problem here. You feel rules are rules, and there is a rule that only PM can log PMO caches. However, I think TPTB do not think there is anything wrong with it. They make the rules.

You do realize a lot of caches would not be allowed if they could only be logged by PMs. Many public lands allow caching and other activities only if there is no charge for the game. Once you require someone to pay to play the cache would no longer be allowed there.

Scubasonic

No one is trying to 'beat the system' by logging caches that they actually found.

I would hope, since it would be a legitimate find, GC would reverse the deletion and lock the log so this should not be an issue.

I think anyone that is not a PM and finds a way to log their find on PM hide should have their log deleted. JMO

Scubasonic

And if the person with a deleted log wants to press the issue the CO deleting the log is in violation of the "rules". They found the cache and signed the log, they can now log on line.

Scubasonic

You may think that, but it doesn't make you right.

Not angry, just happen to know the difference between following the Rules, and not following the rules, of the forum, and right and wrong that's all.

SS

Would you please provide a cite for the rule where it states a non-pm can not log a pm cache? Please no "quoted" text but a link to the applicable section of the guidelines.

Scubasonic

Scubasonic

Clearly, you don't understand the 'rules'. Jeremy has been very clear on this issue. Logging a PMO cache in this manner is completely within the 'rules'.

Rules are Rules

Yes, they are. Let's look at 'em...

Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed.

If a basic member signs the physical log in a PMO cache, they can log the cache online. That's about as straight forward as a rule can get.

I like this part... "Cease deleting logs based on additional logging requirements." Requiring someone to be PMO to log a cache that they've found is clearly an ALR, which is prohibited.

I also like how the "rules" allow you to Transfer a Premium Membership to another person. So, if you think about that for just a second, you have 1 PM account for the household and you are transferring it between family members as each one takes control of it to write their log.

I can't seem to find any "rules" that say anything about basic members not being allowed to log PMO caches. Got a citation for that?

No worries. We'll continue to log PM caches on her account using the "loophole" until I can come up with the $30 for my daughter's account. If a CO wants to delete the log that's not a problem as she still found the cache and had had fun doing it. That's what really matters. :rolleyes:

i have no problem with the kids of a PM to log PMO caches

that can be achieved by somehow linking the accounts

the problem i have is with the rest of the regular members, and that has become a problem only since the BOT attacks

i have been PM before i even found my first cache and i never even considered setting up a PMO cache, all are out there for everyone to find

however since the BOT issues we had recently, and since GS chose to do nothing about the situation i figured i would change them to PMO, well guess what the current loophole does not protect my caches from this BOT and that seriously p****s me off because i pay my dues to support this site and they don't seem to give a dadgum

Protection from bot logging through the use of PMO was never a feature of premium memberships. One must upgrade all the way to Black level for that.

Scubasonic

You keep posting about 'rules'. Please identify the rule that logging in this manner violates.

SS

Would you please provide a cite for the rule where it states a non-pm can not log a pm cache? Please no "quoted" text but a link to the applicable section of the guidelines.

its implied in the Benefits of Premium Membership

6.Seek and create Premium Member Caches

As for entering the logs, the method described a few posts ago of logging out and logging back in is by far the easiest method for getting the basic account setup for entering the PM log. If you have your browser setup to remember passwords, it takes all of 15 seconds, 6 mouse clicks, and no typing to switch between accounts during the logging process (yes, I really timed it to come up with 15 seconds at the long end... connection speed will vary that, of course).

As stated, after the PM finishes their log and returns to the cache page, click on the "log your visit" link again. Click the logout link at the top right of the page. If you are using FireFox and have it remembering your logins/passwords, just double click in the username field and you'll get a list of all the usernames you've stored on the computer. Click the one you want to use and click the login button. Ba-da-bing... you're back at the log entry screen under a new username and ready to hand the keyboard to your "basic" family member. It couldn't be easier (and it WAYYYY easier than trying to copy/paste that stupid ID number between cache listings and across multiple login accounts).

I think that the method posted by jholly in post 17 is easier, but to each his own.

Non-premium members support the site financially as well, by being exposed to lots advertisements that Groundspeak gets paid for. Premium members aren't exposed to those ads, depriving Groundspeak of income from that stream.

There are more ways to contribute financially to Groundspeak than just premium memberships, and I'm glad that Groundspeak recognizes that.

Groundspeak also recognizes that many people contribute to this game in other ways than financially. These contributions benefit the company, as well.

No worries. We'll continue to log PM caches on her account using the "loophole" until I can come up with the $30 for my daughter's account. If a CO wants to delete the log that's not a problem as she still found the cache and had had fun doing it. That's what really matters. :rolleyes:

If you have a minor daughter I see no reason to spend money on another premium membership. You don't pay for a second cable account for her, do you? Get her a pm account as a gift on the day she moves out of the house.

If you have a minor daughter I see no reason to spend money on another premium membership. You don't pay for a second cable account for her, do you? Get her a pm account as a gift on the day she moves out of the house.

Very true, but we use the iPhone clients to cache and she wants to be able to search them on her phone and log them on the phone in the field. That's worth a PM I think.

Would you please provide a cite for the rule where it states a non-pm can not log a pm cache?

LOL... "implied"?!?

As I posted a short while ago... the actual logging "rule" directly states that anyone who signs the physical log gets to enter an online log. There is nothing implied about that rule. It's clear as a bell. Plain as day. Black and White.

Next topic.

:rolleyes:

SS

TPTB have made it clear that this benefit gives the PM the ability to create a cache page that only other PMs can view. It does not give him the ability to forbid other members from logging. The rational for this goes all the way back to Jeremy's declaration that the game will never become pay-to-play.