High Number

Ampresearch

hello all

I have been caching for about a year but just recently signed up to the sites. i had always done it with a friend of mine when i visited but never signed up myself. anyways. in the last couple month i have noticed a trend in my area and i'm sure others that i dont understand.

When i look at some profiles of the "experienced" cachers around me i noticed a few have daily find averages near 50 per day and two that have more then 100 per day. 1000's of finds each.

how the heck is that possible. if i went out every single day there is NO WAY i could find 100+ per day. matter a fact not even close to that. finding 20-30 in a day is about the max for most people and thats a really heavy run. but we are not talking about a max run. we are talking about an AVERAGE per day. That makes it even worse.

Am i missing something here or is this just a case of faux finds? i wont point out names just wanting to know for myself.

hello all

I have been caching for about a year but just recently signed up to the sites. i had always done it with a friend of mine when i visited but never signed up myself. anyways. in the last couple month i have noticed a trend in my area and i'm sure others that i dont understand.

When i look at some profiles of the "experienced" cachers around me i noticed a few have daily find averages near 50 per day and two that have more then 100 per day. 1000's of finds each.

how the heck is that possible. if i went out every single day there is NO WAY i could find 100+ per day. matter a fact not even close to that. finding 20-30 in a day is about the max for most people and thats a really heavy run. but we are not talking about a max run. we are talking about an AVERAGE per day. That makes it even worse.

Am i missing something here or is this just a case of faux finds? i wont point out names just wanting to know for myself.

Depending on where you live and how you select your caches it is possible to find many many caches in one day. So far I've managed a day with 14 finds- I was very proud of myself.

Check out some of the Power Trail topics, you'll be amazed.

my concern is that in order to have 100 be your average you would have to find 100 EVERYDAY at a minimum. thats what raises my interest

The top cacher in the world currently has 43,339 finds. They started caching October 27, 2002. Today is September 21, 2010, 2887 days later.

45,339 divided by 2887 possible caching days is only 15.71 caches per day or 111 per week.

With the rate that caches are being hidden, if someone travels to new areas, there will be tons of new caches for them to find. If they cache lightly for 3 days, getting 35-40 finds per day, they could easily maintain their 111 per week average. Toss in a couple bigger days where they get 50 or 60, and they could take a few days off to relax.

We visit family in Florida every so often, and each time we go we have no trouble grabbing 100 caches in 3 or 4 days, and that's doing it fairly relaxed, caching for about 5 or 6 hours each day.

my concern is that in order to have 100 be your average you would have to find 100 EVERYDAY at a minimum. thats what raises my interest

The top cacher in the world currently has 43,339 finds. They started caching October 27, 2002. Today is September 21, 2010, 2887 days later.

45,339 divided by 2887 possible caching days is only 15.71 caches per day or 111 per week.

With the rate that caches are being hidden, if someone travels to new areas, there will be tons of new caches for them to find. If they cache lightly for 3 days, getting 35-40 finds per day, they could easily maintain their 111 per week average. Toss in a couple bigger days where they get 50 or 60, and they could take a few days off to relax.

We visit family in Florida every so often, and each time we go we have no trouble grabbing 100 caches in 3 or 4 days, and that's doing it fairly relaxed, caching for about 5 or 6 hours each day.

111 per week i can handle. makes mathmatical sense. but 100 per DAY average i cant get my head around. maybe they own a time warp i dont know about lol. this person seems to have quite a bit of respect in the area so thats why i thought i must be missing something.

111 per week i can handle. makes mathmatical sense. but 100 per DAY average i cant get my head around. maybe they own a time warp i dont know about lol. this person seems to have quite a bit of respect in the area so thats why i thought i must be missing something.

Nobody has 100 find per day average. The top finder as he said has a 15 per day average.

Nobody has 100 find per day average. The top finder as he said has a 15 per day average.

I wonder what it would look like if you only counted days you went caching as the number of days possible. That could make a huge differnce.

Skippermark did the math by averaging all the days.

As Mark Twain said "There are lies, dang lies and statistics" (actually he didn't say it but he made it a popular phrase so he's often given credit). And he certainly didn't use 'dang' in the phrase, but I dont' want the nanny software to get me. :)

*Edit to add last sentence.

Edited by MooseJawSpruce

I don't believe that there is anyone that averages 100 finds per day. Even if I were retired and had nothing to do but cache, I would probably burn out, or at the very least my vehicle would burn out. As was mentioned, even the most prolific cacher on earth doesn't have that average.

As for getting a lot in a day, yes it is possible. We attempted the power trail in Nevada a few months ago, and our most in a day was 231. That is pretty unique circumstances though, and we know others who found far more than we did on that trail.

Other than that, I've been able to find 70 in a day just driving around locally and caching the 'normal way.' It was a total of a 15 hour stretch.

I think on average doing urban caching, I find between 12-15 per caching trip, sometimes 20. But, if I go out in the sticks and go hiking to find caches (which I honestly prefer) I may find 1 or 2 in a day and thoroughly enjoy myself! When I first started, I used to think it was crazy that anyone could find 15 in a day. I thought it was impossible. An early log of mine mentioned that my husband and I were on a caching 'rampage' one day. We found four that day.

My perspective has definitely changed over time, but what it all boils down to, is that it's okay to not be able to find tons and tons of caches in a day. You won't be missing out! As long as you're enjoying yourself, the number you find, and the numbers that others find won't matter.

Edited by nymphnsatyr

i did forget to metion these are the stats off of one of the profile stat additions. maybe they are just poorly managed and not updated making the stats appear goofy. i know the one i have i have to update myself and if i put in something wrong it looks way off.

I just wanted to be sure there was not some sort of trick or side of caching i was missing out on

like said above as long as i'm having fun thats all i care about. the finds and adventure with my family is what i'm concerned about. the numbers are a distant second

snipitty snip snip

snip

35-40 caches is "caching lightly"?!! I just realized how much a newbie I really am!

We averaged 59 caches per day this year.

That's because we had a couple of ONE cache days thrown in.

A normal day for us is around 100 finds. We've had a couple of very slow days lately.... 50 or 60 finds.

It depends on the density around your area.

It also depends on the kind of caches you like to do. There's enough cache density around my location to support 100 cache days, but I'll never find 100 caches in a day. I'd rather spend an hour hiking to a cache than spend the same hour driving around to eight park and grab caches.

Our (in)famous local powercacher, Bobcam, who has found a mind boggling 22,268 in 3 years averages only about 47 finds per caching day (his stats are a bit out of date right now). Now, aside from vacations, he only caches on weekends, so that number would be much lower if averaged for days per year. I'd love to see who it is that has 100/day averages.

Oh, there could be some n00b who's really taken to caching, currently averaging 100/day, but that will eventually go down, just like the example you state. And that is amazing, with the 22,268 (and probably being behind in logging) still a few days short of the 3 year cacheversary. I tell you, give that guy a few more years, and he might just catch up to Alamogul.

Our (in)famous local powercacher, Bobcam, who has found a mind boggling 22,268 in 3 years averages only about 47 finds per caching day (his stats are a bit out of date right now). Now, aside from vacations, he only caches on weekends, so that number would be much lower if averaged for days per year. I'd love to see who it is that has 100/day averages.

Oh, there could be some n00b who's really taken to caching, currently averaging 100/day, but that will eventually go down, just like the example you state. And that is amazing, with the 22,268 (and probably being behind in logging) still a few days short of the 3 year cacheversary. I tell you, give that guy a few more years, and he might just catch up to Alamogul.

That would be fun to watch!! Alamogul needs someone to challenge him. :)

35-40 caches is "caching lightly"?!! I just realized how much a newbie I really am!

Whatever you do, don't feel that you have to get a lot of finds just because someone else does. The numbers don't mean anything. All that matters is that you're having fun. Cache the way you want and enjoy what you do. If that includes going crazy finding a lot, that's great, but if you'd rather get a couple each weekend, that's perfectly fine too. That's the cool thing about caching. Everyone can do what they enjoy.

We averaged 59 caches per day this year.

That's because we had a couple of ONE cache days thrown in.

A normal day for us is around 100 finds. We've had a couple of very slow days lately.... 50 or 60 finds.

It depends on the density around your area.

Wow!! That's amazing!! We don't even have that much density to do something like that. Cool beans for you! :)