What the heck did I find? (Is this a geocoin?)

Coldgears

I found this inside of a geocache. It seems to be a geocoin. It was inside a plastic case. I took it out and it felt heavy like a geocoin, it had things engraved like a geocoin. It basically is a geocoin. But the thing is there is no tracking number on it. I took it without trading because I thought it was a geocoin... But I wam really curious as to what this is now...

Heres some pics.

Inside case

fsfgfd.jpg

teretr.jpg

Outside case

dgfdfgdfg.jpg

dfdgf.jpg

You probably already did this, but make sure to check the edges of the coin for an inscription that might include a tracking number. First geocoin I ever bought had it on the outer edge of the coin, and I was freaking out thinking I'd spent a fair amount of money on a non-trackable coin.

Believe it or not, geocoins are not the only kinds of coins out in the world. :) There are commemorative coins, challenge coins, military coins, monetary coins, and more. I found this googling the Millenium Cell coin and this cacher posted on the Geowoodstock blog (scroll down) that they found not one, but then another. Maybe they are in caches in your area?

Edit to add, one was a 3 Year Anniversary coin and the other a 5 Year Anniversary. And they may have found more then 2.

Edited by Eartha

Now along a similar vein (newbie here), how do I know, if I find a geocoin in a cache, if I am supposed to take it or not? How do I know if it's something I can keep, or have to move along? I'd hate to take something and bring it home, only to look it up and discover I was supposed to leave it.

Thanks!

Edited by GrapeNutsTburg

If it has a tracking number, it's meant to travel. Unless the owner stated they left it as swag. Or if it's definitely not activated (make sure you have the numbers right). But you must trade evenly if you take one as swag. If it has no tracking number (and check the edge of the coin too) then it's swag/signature item. Trade up, trade even, or don't trade at all.

Believe it or not, geocoins are not the only kinds of coins out in the world. :) There are commemorative coins, challenge coins, military coins, monetary coins, and more. I found this googling the Millenium Cell coin and this cacher posted on the Geowoodstock blog (scroll down) that they found not one, but then another. Maybe they are in caches in your area?

Edit to add, one was a 3 Year Anniversary coin and the other a 5 Year Anniversary. And they may have found more then 2.

Now I feel bad about taking it... I thought it was a tradeable! Yes, I live in the PS/NJ area about 2 minutes from philly and 5 mins from new jersey