Placed Our 1st Cache Yesterday

PeakFault

We placed our first cache yesterday. And it's been found twice already, which is great and our daughter is thrilled too.

We're quite chuffed with it, I know you may not that bothered, but thought I'd share it with you anyway! (I suppose we've all been excitable newbies at some point!)

We enjoy finding caches a lot, however I honestly think we're going to get just as much, if not more from planting well thought out and decent caches and putting travel bugs and coins into circulation.

For me, in the short time I've spent caching, my favourite caches are ones that have a good description that educates you and/or takes you to somewhere where there is something to be appreciated. So with the caches we plant as a family will hopefully be well thought and and not planted for the sake of planting a cache.

I've noticed a few sparse areas in my local area so I hope to fill these with some interesting caches as there are some amazing places that people should visit near where we live!

Great stuff - we are relative newbies too - have put out our first series - a quick cache and dash drive by series as "she who must be obeyed" doesn't walk far - We had a bit of a problem with one of the first ones as we sighted it - co-orded it and recce'd round - went home, published it and then went to put it out. Too late !!! the "superfast" reviewer had reviewed it, and published it and SOMEONE HAD FTF'D IT before we could get back and put it out !! Red faces all round. We got advice from all and sundry and, having taken note put the rest out BEFORE sumitting for review !! I must admit - its great opening the e mail in the evening and finding that several cachers have logged them - even the TFTCs - it means that someone has been, looked and (mostly) found. As you will no doubt find, there will be some queries about co-ordinates, some DNFs and some not so great comments. We have taken all on board, re-checked co-ords, re-packaged one or two - and even "slightly moved" one on advice from reviewer but its all worth it for the occasional - "Nice" comment !! keep on caching - keep finding interesting and cunning places to put out caches and thinking up appropriate names, clues and descriptions

cheers

;)

Hiding gets just as adictive as finding, only it costs more.

Plus you have to seriously think about your hides and if you have the time to look after them, they are a commitment after all. I've placed all of mine so that if problems were reported I could go and at least see what the problem is the following weekend. I'm not sure how those with 100's of hides cope with this.

Plus you have to seriously think about your hides and if you have the time to look after them, they are a commitment after all. I've placed all of mine so that if problems were reported I could go and at least see what the problem is the following weekend. I'm not sure how those with 100's of hides cope with this.

It is fairly easy if you have a lot of hides. I have 83, a small amount are now archived having served their time. Although it isn't something to rely on, it is always worth having a network of local caching friends, so that if you can't get to one of your caches that there is a problem with, you can call on one of your caching friends to step in and do maintainance or check on it. Then at other times you can reciprocate. It works well around here. And yes, it does become addictive putting out new caches, just don't put them out for the sake of it.

A suitable moment to promote my resource website :laughing: ...... especially as we have so many newcomers to the game placing their first caches. The site will provide you information about placing caches in the UK & Ireland, tips on writing the cache page (and how to get your cache published quickly :) ) where to get information about locations, maps that we reviewers use and specific guidelines as well. There are a lot of links to other sites including the Geocaching Association of Great Britain and information about GPS receivers and coordinates.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK & Ireland Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

It is fairly easy if you have a lot of hides. I have 83, a small amount are now archived having served their time. Although it isn't something to rely on, it is always worth having a network of local caching friends, so that if you can't get to one of your caches that there is a problem with, you can call on one of your caching friends to step in and do maintainance or check on it. Then at other times you can reciprocate. It works well around here. And yes, it does become addictive putting out new caches, just don't put them out for the sake of it.

Yes putting out a quantity does not mean quality, I try and put out the boxes that will fit the enviroment. e.g not a micro in a wood :laughing: . The children prefer to find a proper box with things they can swap, a good cache page describing local events and the history of the place will always be my choice too over a short the cache is here type. And it is fun placing, finding a spot doing the research getting the land owners permission which can be frustrating but worth it in the end. Good luck with your placements