I hate it when that happens

NYPaddleCacher

I''ve been in Tucson the last couple of days for some meetings and found a few caches the first day I was here. We had an hour break for lunch today so I checked to see if there were any caches nearby and saw a few. I read the details on my iphone app on two of the closest and it sounded like both were LPCs. I wasn't interested. Then I noticed change the filter so that it was showing all cache types instead of just traditionals and discovered that there was a webcam cache no more than 200' from where I've been sitting in meetings the past two days. I made my way to the location, hoping that I could control the camera using the browser on my phone. I went to the site and saw that the last photo taken was in July and then read the recent logs on the cache. Apparently the webcam has been off since July. Argh. It would have been my first webcam find and the closest one to home is about 80 miles away.

I hate it when that happens.

I''ve been in Tucson the last couple of days for some meetings and found a few caches the first day I was here. We had an hour break for lunch today so I checked to see if there were any caches nearby and saw a few. I read the details on my iphone app on two of the closest and it sounded like both were LPCs. I wasn't interested. Then I noticed change the filter so that it was showing all cache types instead of just traditionals and discovered that there was a webcam cache no more than 200' from where I've been sitting in meetings the past two days. I made my way to the location, hoping that I could control the camera using the browser on my phone. I went to the site and saw that the last photo taken was in July and then read the recent logs on the cache. Apparently the webcam has been off since July. Argh. It would have been my first webcam find and the closest one to home is about 80 miles away.

Aarrgghhh!!! So near, and yet so far, huh? Shame. It can be tough caching when you are out of area on business. Your options are often very limited by the very reasons for your trip.

Bittsen might be able to Photoshop you into another picture from the webcam, though. <_<

Some of my most memorable and fond geocaching misadventures have come in situations where the primary reason for being in an area was something other than geocaching. Away from home, pressed for time, lack of an adequate plan, unfamiliar with the area and the local hiding styles, batteries running out, getting dark, haven't eaten all day, just trying to squeeze in a couple of caches before heading back to the hotel or the airport ...

Good times, good times. <_<

Yup. My webcam, placed in early 2005 (and unbeknownst to me at the time, mere months before they stopped accepting them forever) went missing in the spring of 2009. The private homeowner (whom I had permission from to use it for a webcam cache), lost his town house due to the recession, and moved out. Verified by knocking on the next door neighbors door after finding a realtors lock box on his door when I went to check it out.

Webcams often go off line for months at a time, and if they move the location, you're out of luck, you can't change the coordinates of a grandfathered webcam or virtual. Even more so than virt's, they will eventually become extremely rare. I think the ones on College Campuses are your best bet for long-term longevity. And even those are subject to go off line for extended periods of time.

Which cache is it? I looked up webcam caches in Tucson for kicks and found two that look active pretty close to each other, near the U of A campus.

It's this one http://coord.info/GCGBMA

When I was there yesterday the photo on the webcam page was from July. I just checked the page the morning and it's showing a shot from this morning so it looks like the camera is back in action. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be back on U of A campus today and am leaving for home early in the morning. There were several logs posted on the cache in August that were "simulated" web cam photos taken from the direction of the came and the CO has left them intact. I'm debating whether to log it as I took a couple of similar photos myself. The camera is pointing to the original building of the Uni of AZ campus.

Some of my most memorable and fond geocaching misadventures have come in situations where the primary reason for being in an area was something other than geocaching. Away from home, pressed for time, lack of an adequate plan, unfamiliar with the area and the local hiding styles, batteries running out, getting dark, haven't eaten all day, just trying to squeeze in a couple of caches before heading back to the hotel or the airport ...

Good times, good times. :)

I know just what you mean. I was in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia last year for a week of meetings when there were only four geocaches in the entire country. One of them was a couple of miles from where I was staying and I was actually within 1000' of it twice while our driver was taking us into the main part of the city for other business but I never got the opportunity to search for the cache. It was archived about a month after I got home so I'll never get a chance to find it even if I ever get back to Addis Ababa. There are two now ones in the city now though.

While at dinner last night with those I've been meeting with here in Tucson I was basically asked to help run a preconference workshop for a conference next July in Namibia. Of course, I checked to see what kind of caching was available in Namibia when I got back to my hotel and found that there are quite a few in the country (compared to many other African countries) and that of the first 10 listed for the country, 6 have never been found.

It would have been my first webcam find and the closest one to home is about 80 miles away.

C'mon up to Rochester, we've got 50% of the active webcam caches in NY State! One at UofR, the other at RIT.

The ones in Rochester are the ones I was referring to 80 miles from home. There used to be one at Cornell (where I work) for just a couple of weeks after I started geocaching and another one a bit west of Watkins Glen. I talked to someone that found the one near Watkins Glen and he said that you had to use a boat to get to the spot where the photo was taken. When he got there the first time he went to call home to have the webcam photo taken only to discover that he didn't have cell phone service there. So he got back in his kayak, put his boat back on his vehicle, drove to a spot where he got cell phone service, then called his wife to take a few photos with the webcam at a pre-determined time. Apparently he was FTF on that cache and the only person to ever find it before it was archived.

I'm debating whether to log it as I took a couple of similar photos myself. The camera is pointing to the original building of the Uni of AZ campus.

My guess is that you'll be robbing yourself of a very satisfying moment in the future when you do successfully capture that first image off of a webcam cache... I'm not making a value judgment, but if I were you I'd preserve that future moment.

I'm debating whether to log it as I took a couple of similar photos myself. The camera is pointing to the original building of the Uni of AZ campus.

My guess is that you'll be robbing yourself of a very satisfying moment in the future when you do successfully capture that first image off of a webcam cache... I'm not making a value judgment, but if I were you I'd preserve that future moment.

That's what I'll probably do. In any case, I posted a note on the cache about my experience, indicating that the camera is back in action for anyone that might be watching the cache. I always include webcam caches for any PQs I make when I'm traveling so eventually I ought to be able to find one.

Man I was at a webcam cache once, it was a mile from the closest parking I knew of. It was 100+ degrees out and I was wearing my work clothes, long button up shirt, long pants and dress shoes. But I thought I would try anyway.

I get there and find it and call my wife with the link to the cache. I am standing there for 15-20 minutes with her trying to get it and sweating up a storm. Anyway she was a trooper but I gave up. So as a last ditch effort I called a friend that was good with computers as he might be able to get the page up. He managed to get the shot after I was soaked from head to toe in sweat. Turns out its IE only and he happens to work at a facility that is IE only.

Anyway I got it but if I had walked away without it I would have been so disappointed so I can feel your pain. When I got back I looked on the site and found that some people just took a picture of themselves in the spot and used that to claim credit.

It would have been my first webcam find and the closest one to home is about 80 miles away.

C'mon up to Rochester, we've got 50% of the active webcam caches in NY State! One at UofR, the other at RIT.

And if I'm not mistaken, you had 2 others archived in the last year or so. :mellow:

So math isn't my strong point, but you're saying there are only 4 webcams left in New York? The one in Niagara Falls isn't a true webcam cache, and I'm surprised they "got away with it". But I ain't saying anything (although I guess I just did). :)

And if I'm not mistaken, you had 2 others archived in the last year or so. :)

You wouldn't happen to know what those are, would you?

So math isn't my strong point, but you're saying there are only 4 webcams left in New York? The one in Niagara Falls isn't a true webcam cache, and I'm surprised they "got away with it".
That's what I'm saying.

http://coord.info/GCH774

http://coord.info/GCGPW1

http://coord.info/GCHQRF

http://coord.info/GC3C3A

Edited by dakboy

Thanks. One of those is not too far from home and the camera is still up & streaming.

Nope. GCN7BQ was mine, in the Buffalo area where I told the boring story about the webcam owner moving that no one cared about earlier in the thread.

The one in "Eye on the weather" webcam in Webster was archived without comment less than a year ago. That sucks, why'd they do that? The 4th Rochester webcam (and it's been archived almost two years, not one like I guessed) was Issaquah on The Avenue Webcam

Thanks. One of those is not too far from home and the camera is still up & streaming.

Nope. GCN7BQ was mine, in the Buffalo area where I told the boring story about the webcam owner moving that no one cared about earlier in the thread.
That's not the one I'm referring to.

The one in "Eye on the weather" webcam in Webster was archived without comment less than a year ago. That sucks, why'd they do that?
This is the one close to home for me, and if you check it out, the camera is still active, so it's still possible to log a find on it.
The 4th Rochester webcam (and it's been archived almost two years, not one like I guessed) was Issaquah on The Avenue Webcam

I remember that one, I was bummed that it went away before I had a chance to get it.

I've had my picture taken at six webcam caches. One in Maine, one in West Virginia, three in New Jersey. And Times Square Webcam before it got archived and moved to whymarking in 2005. :) (As I recall they bribed offered a free year of premium membership if cachers would move their webams/locationless/virtuals to whymarking.) I had finally figure out how to get my picture at New York Minute but it was archived. There was a third in the city that moved to whymarking before I got around to finding it. (Don't remember the particulars on that one... Around East 53rd...)

But, you are all welcomed to visit my webcam cache! Warning: I do delete any logs without the required webcam photo! It is a webcam cache, not a virtual..

So math isn't my strong point, but you're saying there are only 4 webcams left in New York? The one in Niagara Falls isn't a true webcam cache, and I'm surprised they "got away with it".
That's what I'm saying.

http://coord.info/GCH774

http://coord.info/GCGPW1

http://coord.info/GCHQRF

http://coord.info/GC3C3A

There is also one in Warren, PA (http://coord.info/GCMHEM) where GeoWoodstock is going to be held next year. That one might be my best opportunity to find one if I got to GW next year. I imagine that it could could have a line of geocachers as long as a Disneyworld character photo opportunity if it's real close to GW.

I've had my picture taken at six webcam caches. One in Maine, one in West Virginia, three in New Jersey. And Times Square Webcam before it got archived and moved to whymarking in 2005. :D (As I recall they bribed offered a free year of premium membership if cachers would move their webams/locationless/virtuals to whymarking.) I had finally figure out how to get my picture at New York Minute but it was archived. There was a third in the city that moved to whymarking before I got around to finding it. (Don't remember the particulars on that one... Around East 53rd...)

But, you are all welcomed to visit my webcam cache! Warning: I do delete any logs without the required webcam photo! It is a webcam cache, not a virtual..

Hey, I like it. The official NY State webcam cache thread. :laughing: I had saw that Times Square one on Skidmarking, and almost did it last month when I was there. I did know it used to be a cache. I do not remember being bribed in 2005 to move my Webcam cache to Whymarking!!

The one in "Eye on the weather" webcam in Webster was archived without comment less than a year ago. That sucks, why'd they do that?
This is the one close to home for me, and if you check it out, the camera is still active, so it's still possible to log a find on it.

I tested it. It is not locked. It can still be found and logged. Perhaps I will do it next time I'm in the Rochester area. Got to go find those Seaway Trail caches anyways. Do not, under any circumstances let Sapience Trek know about this webcam situation though. :huh::P:)

There is also one in Warren, PA (http://coord.info/GCMHEM) where GeoWoodstock is going to be held next year. That one might be my best opportunity to find one if I got to GW next year. I imagine that it could could have a line of geocachers as long as a Disneyworld character photo opportunity if it's real close to GW.

I have not found it, but that webcam is definitely on the cache owners front porch!! That will be interesting to see what happens come GeoWoodstock time. That being said, it will probably be one of the last surviving webcam caches in the future, assuming they never move. They haven't in almost 6 years, I guess.

I have not found it, but that webcam is definitely on the cache owners front porch!! That will be interesting to see what happens come GeoWoodstock time. That being said, it will probably be one of the last surviving webcam caches in the future, assuming they never move. They haven't in almost 6 years, I guess.

I read more about the one in Warren, PA and that it the CO had it set up so that it saves a photo every 5 minutes but might require a plugin to access the cache. The CO offered to save photos manually and posted their phone number and invited finders to knock on the door to ask a photo from the webcam to be saved. I wonder if they'll change their policy before thousands of geocachers arrive in Warren, especially as it looks like location is in a residential area. I can just imagine what the neighbors will think about a steady stream of cars stopping in front of the house with a steady stream of people getting out and standing in front of the house. I could even envision that they might disable the webcam to avoid problems with the neighbors.

It's too bad that GS no longer allows webcams as that would be kind of a cool cache to log at GW if a temporary webcam cache could be set up at the main location. It would provide a photo of pretty much everyone that attended Geowoodstock.

Although it's not categorized as a webcam cache the Crossroads of the World cache in Times Square used to be an ALR which one was supposed to take a "I Found It" sign from the cache and have a photo taken. There were two webcams nearby that could be used to take the photo. The cache is still active, but not as an ALR.

(As I recall they bribed offered a free year of premium membership if cachers would move their webams/locationless/virtuals to whymarking.)

Really?

I had finally figure out how to get my picture at New York Minute but it was archived. There was a third in the city that moved to whymarking before I got around to finding it. (Don't remember the particulars on that one... Around East 53rd...)

I don't suppose you happen to know the GC numbers for either of these? Sounds like you definitely don't for the latter, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask...

(As I recall they bribed offered a free year of premium membership if cachers would move their webams/locationless/virtuals to whymarking.)

Really?

I had finally figure out how to get my picture at New York Minute but it was archived. There was a third in the city that moved to whymarking before I got around to finding it. (Don't remember the particulars on that one... Around East 53rd...)

I don't suppose you happen to know the GC numbers for either of these? Sounds like you definitely don't for the latter, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask...

* New York Minute * - Webcam Cache GCC3D6

There's the other:

NYC Corner Cache GC4045

Edited by Harry Dolphin

someone should make a bookmark list of archived but usable web cam caches.

Yes. So reviewers or Groundspeak employees can use it to lock the listings. Just kidding. :D

I will check that out, at least for all the ones in America, which have a bookmark list. I really don't think there's going to be too many though. But we have seen examples of people who moved them to Waymarking, and one that was archived for no apparent reason in Rochester, NY.

By the way, I purposely typed Waymarking with a lower case w, and it fixed it for me, that was very nice. ;)

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I thought about creating a bookmark of all U.S active U.S. webcams (there are 219 of them). Probably won't do it though.

Archived but usable...hm.. (then there's not archived, but no functioning camera......)

There are no webcams in Louisiana, New Mexico and North Dakota.

31 in California, 17 in Florida.

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Georgia, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Vermont, and West Virginia each with one active webcam cache.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I thought about creating a bookmark of all U.S active U.S. webcams (there are 219 of them). Probably won't do it though.

Archived but usable...hm.. (then there's not archived, but no functioning camera......)

There are no webcams in Louisiana, New Mexico and North Dakota.

31 in California, 17 in Florida.

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Georgia, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Vermont, and West Virginia each with one active webcam cache.

I can confirm, only one remaining active webcam in Minnesota.

I am just curious, how many webcam finds do you all have? I have 20 finds. I want to know if that's low, average, or high for someone with 4000 finds overall. I'll be the first to admit that TWO of my webcam finds are self portraits, which were allowed rightly or wrongly by the CO, because the cams are broken.

EDIT-- ok, there were three, not two. I just checked.

Edited by bflentje

I am honored that bflentje has his photo taken at my webcam cache!

As mentioned earlier, I have logged six webcam caches. Out of 2800 logged caches.

Two things on your webcam.. first off, that was THE COOLEST experience doing a webcam ever. Secondly, we knew the weather would be an issue so we tried to take extra considerations while taking our picture (flashlight). I am gratified that you allowed our find considering that you can barely see us in the fog and 55MPH winds.

I only learned of Mt Washington because of your webcam, I personal THANKS for taking us there. Now I see Mt Washington being talked about all over the place. I must not have been paying attention before. One thing is for sure, I want to revisit SOON and get down to that darn Lake of the Clouds Hut.

:):laughing::rolleyes: