THE BEST CONTAINER EVER!

markstang

I am a new GeoCacher but know enough about life to know when something happens that is a memorable moment.

My daughter (5) and I got up to go treasure hunting. She knew I just started Caching and wanted to find some by herself after I got us to the location. Earlier I looked specifically for a regular cache because she wanted to trade a nice item. So we went on a hunt. The find was AMAZING, so much so that I registered here to tell about the cache container.

The road was a long and clay for miles. No houses with just open prairie like rolling hills. I use an HTC Evo phone with a wonderful Droid application "c:geo" You know the story...follow the coordinates. I had the phone set on Radar and watched as I drove along the fields lined with barbed wire.I came to a hill and could see that the wire fence went wider and left a group of trees accessible. It was kind of like the end of "Shaw Shank Redemption". We went together up to find nothing but sticks, weeds, a log , spanish moss and shade weeds in the beautiful blowing wind. Turning around looking at the view with no houses or people, just the two of us on an adventure together, Daddy and Daughter on the weekend before she starts KinderGarden. She bends over to lift up a stick and it lifted up....but...what?WOW the best ever Container in the world. I will stop here and just enter the pictures that tell it all.

What a Fantastic Hobby for a Father with kids.

77_21_08_10_1_42_14_0.jpg

77_21_08_10_1_42_14_1.jpg

77_21_08_10_1_42_15_2.jpg

77_21_08_10_1_42_15_3.jpg

Edited by markstang

I was told I should delete my post about my experience. But can not see an edit tag. So...erase if I did something wrong. I have the memory and that can not be taken away. I thought I saw a tab about nominating cool caching stories. I guess the site does not like mine. Sorry

I have never spent so much time apologizing on a form than i have on this site. shaking my head in disappointment.

Looks OK to me. Great photos! I have discussed that the application mentioned is not authorized by Groundspeak though. Hopefully the new Groundspeak application will work for you, or you can try Geobeagle or some of the other ones. They are already working out some of the bugs on the new Groundspeak app.

Still, this topic is not about apps. Please don't derail the topic. That is an awesome looking cache. Thanks for not giving away which one it is. That is the proper way to discuss the great hide.

Edited by mtn-man

I love when our kids get into geocaching. My 7 year old is having a blast, and sometimes finds them before I do, guess having a different prospective on the world helps. I don't think I would have thought to pick up a stick and found that one, but I bet my son would have!!! Happy caching to you and your daughter from me and my son :D

Thanks.

Side note. The App discussed was used before I knew better. The moderator helped me find the right one however I could not omit the comment above because too much time went by for the edit option.

Found two today with my wife. She wants to know how to do it on her own device now. LOL

What an awesome experience! And SHE found it. Even better! I came across a very interesting one the other day. The description had the word STOP in it and said it was a stainless steel container. I finally homed in on a stop sign with a bolt through one of the holes in the post. The bolt had a stainless steel acorn nut on it that was finger tight. After removing the acorn nut, rolled very tightly in a hole drilled into the end of the bolt was a paper log! I laughed for quite some time after that find!

Edited by wv_hiker

Came aross something similar...not hinged, but with a top that fit a hollow stump. Lifted off the top and it was full of cookies for bear bait! :P Not the kind of swag we were looking for! My younger daughter and I just started geocaching ourselves, and this was her first traditional cache ride-along, so we hihg-tailed it out of there (we were walking the wrong way anyway!) :angry:

That is very...very cool, it gives me some good ideas, maybe i could do one with rocks and leave it in plain site......1- saw,1-diamond blade and badda bing a cool stash. There's always someone raising the bar.

Bucket

Did one like that... actual rock fist sized, broken on a fault line. Hinge set on the inside of the rock, ground/set into the rock. Hollowed out just enough for a small baggie & log... hidden in a pile of rocks at the edge of a highway... Lucked out on my third visit and spotted it...

I once saw one inside a big fake rock in a high muggle park in downtown Orlando. The big fake rock was one of several the park had and blended perfectly. Inside it had a portable cd player intended to stay inside the cache with cd's inside that you can play. The difficult part was extracting the cache from inside the big fake rock without all the park visitors and homeless people noticing you. My daughter loved it.