Cammo Duct (or Duck) Tape

JasNBex

We have found over 30 caches in the past week and a half (yes....we are beginners) and we feel we are finally ready to start HIDING some. I did a lot of research on the forums about hiding caches and am excited to start. So, just like a typical woman, I went on a huge cache "shopping spree" to buy containers, swag and other items for inside the cache.

My question is: I went to Wal-Mart to get some colored tape and the only cammo tape I could find is digi-cammo (for those who are NOT military affiliated, digi-cammo is the newest pattern that the troops are using) I bought a roll of that to start taping up some containers. I then looked around in the hunting section, and had no luck there either. Where can I find the REALTREE (looking) cammo tape? Besides online? I even went to a local craft store and they only sold the digi-print cammo tape. Please help! I am super anxious to start hiding these caches.

:(

I get mine in WalMart but they only sell it during hunting season around here. Any store that sells hunting supplies should have it, or the cloth tape, which is better.

Have you considered painting instead? You can get camo spraypaint colors. Krylon makes them with Fusion, meaning that it will stick to plastic. I find if you scuff up the plastic a bit by washing it with an abrasive cleaner, or a clean Scotch Brite pad or Brillo the paint sticks better.

Lay down a base of the camo green, then a couple of random squirts of the brown and black here and there and it looks pretty good. It won't degrade or fade the way duct tape does if exposed to the elements.

JasNBex, with plastic paint you don't need to scuff the paint. It is formulated to stick to plastic. Not that it would hurt of course. One thing I have done is to lay down a layer of plastic paint and then put some textured (stone looking) paint over it.

I picked up a 20' roll of 2" camo duct tape at Bass Pro Shops for $7.99:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...__SearchResults

They had a light and dark version (I went with the dark)

I went looking off season for the woodsy type of camo tape too and also came up empty handed.

Then I asked the guy in the sporting goods section about camo tape. He had to hunt for it in the storeroom, but came up with 1" wide matte hockey wrap tape.

It works wonderfully for wrapping micros and smaller contariners and hides really well because it's a cloth tape not plastic. It has no reflective quality to it whatsoever.

I also use the Krylon plastic and camo lines of paint on plastic containers. That and real bark glued on. Usually I'll paint a container first with a camo colour, then glue 'from the woods' camo on, so that when it comes off you're not left with this shiney plastic container.

We have found over 30 caches in the past week and a half (yes....we are beginners) and we feel we are finally ready to start HIDING some. I did a lot of research on the forums about hiding caches and am excited to start. So, just like a typical woman, I went on a huge cache "shopping spree" to buy containers, swag and other items for inside the cache.

My question is: I went to Wal-Mart to get some colored tape and the only cammo tape I could find is digi-cammo (for those who are NOT military affiliated, digi-cammo is the newest pattern that the troops are using) I bought a roll of that to start taping up some containers. I then looked around in the hunting section, and had no luck there either. Where can I find the REALTREE (looking) cammo tape? Besides online? I even went to a local craft store and they only sold the digi-print cammo tape. Please help! I am super anxious to start hiding these caches.

:)

If you have one in your area try Menards.

Unfortunately the closest Bass Pro shop is in Cinncinatti (4 hours away) so that would not be an option. Yes, I probably COULD order it online, but I like instant gratification. Has anyone used the digi-cammo tape to hide any caches? Does it work okay? I mean, if it works well enough for our troops, shouldn't it work for pill bottles and ammo cans? :)

I suppose I will come up with something, just use what I have on hand for the time being. I DID get some dark green duck tape to cover a pill bottle to hide behind a handicapped parking sign and some silver (not the shiny kind) tape to use as cover for hiding on a guardrail. Any other input any one can give me?

I've actually seen a lot of caches with digi-cammo on it, but you don't have to use it of course. I like the hunting camo tape better myself anyway. But, as others have said, we've recently started spray painting our containers rather than taping them and we find it to be easier, better looking, and just as cammoed. Also, the tape doesn't peel off when it gets wet. We bought the rustoleum "camoflauge" colors.

I will share a "secret" of mine... forget the camo tape and start looking at fabric stores for cammo cotton canvas or duck. Then pick up a bottle or spray can of contact cement. Not only will it be a camo that others are not used to, but it also will have a great matte finish. Shhhhh!! Don't tell anyone!