mantaining cache

just come back from a morning of caching. on one of the logs before we set off it said that some calling cache cards where found at GZ but not tub. so we always take our maintance kit and when we arrived at GZ we found said calling cards but no tub we did a good search but did not find any cache. we decided to use one of our spare tubs put in the calling cards ,a log book, pencil and a few swaps (our daughter gets very dissappionted when there is no swaps) we placed in at roughly GZ for fellow caches to find as the cache is part of 7 and one has already been deacviated.

have we done the right thing?i have left a note on the cache page to say what we have done but we don't want to upset the owners but it's been mentioned over a month ago that people could only find the cards at GZ.

It's called 'being a kindly cacher' we have often done it ourselves. We always carry a repair box stocked with Temp log books, replacement log sheets for micros and nanos along with a selection of plastic bags and some magnets and insulating tape 'just in case'

Edited by DrDick&Vick

This is http://coord.info/GC25E0R isn't it?

You are very kind to replace the cache, but I think in general it's best not to. The by-the-book response, if you're sure the cache has been disrupted, is to post a Needs Maintenance log. If you're not sure, post a DNF. If LetsOffRoad had done that, perhaps the owner would have fixed-up the cache in time for your visit.

This is http://coord.info/GC25E0R isn't it?

You are very kind to replace the cache, but I think in general it's best not to. The by-the-book response, if you're sure the cache has been disrupted, is to post a Needs Maintenance log. If you're not sure, post a DNF. If LetsOffRoad had done that, perhaps the owner would have fixed-up the cache in time for your visit.

If that is the cache...

The problem goes back further than that log.

A newish cacher states there is no tub, followed by a more experienced cacher that doesn't say there's a problem. :)

Either there was a problem earlier, or the newish cacher didn't find the actual cache!

just come back from a morning of caching. on one of the logs before we set off it said that some calling cache cards where found at GZ but not tub. so we always take our maintance kit and when we arrived at GZ we found said calling cards but no tub we did a good search but did not find any cache. we decided to use one of our spare tubs put in the calling cards ,a log book, pencil and a few swaps (our daughter gets very dissappionted when there is no swaps) we placed in at roughly GZ for fellow caches to find as the cache is part of 7 and one has already been deacviated.

have we done the right thing?i have left a note on the cache page to say what we have done but we don't want to upset the owners but it's been mentioned over a month ago that people could only find the cards at GZ.

It's a moot point. I would do it, but only by prior agreement with the cache owner.

A couple of times I've had experienced cachers do just that, and log it as a find, when the cache was there all the time, in the correct hiding place. Not only have they logged what should have been a DNF as a find, which frankly is their business, but they have required that I make an otherwise unnecesssary maintenance visit to remove their "replacement".

So you haven't necessarily done the wrong thing, but I think you do need to be absolutely sure it has gone before "replacing" one.

Rgds, Andy

A couple of times I've had experienced cachers do just that, and log it as a find, when the cache was there all the time, in the correct hiding place. Not only have they logged what should have been a DNF as a find, which frankly is their business, but they have required that I make an otherwise unnecesssary maintenance visit to remove their "replacement".

We have on a number of occasions found two caches in the same location as a previous experienced cacher has left a new container rather than logging a DNF :o , normally the replacement cache was a micro so we took it away and advised the cache owner, bar one where we signed both log books ;) .

It is very difficult to know what is the right thing to do, but if more cachers mentioned issues in their logs then the cache owner would more likely go and sort the issue out. I will get an odd comment on my caches from time to time but then monitor it and if a few more experienced cachers do not mention the issue I do not normally go out and check on the cache assuming all is well.

If more cachers mentioned issues in their logs

If more cache owners read the logs (and acted on them)...

If more cachers posted "Needs Maintenance?" logs...

If more cachers would stop 'having a go' at 'Cache Police'... :o

If cachers were not embarressed by posting a DNF...

If...

;)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

This is a tough one because if you are certain that the cache has gone, replacing it is a very cool thing to do, but if the cache is in fact there, you will have caused a lot of confusion for future cachers. I've seen situations where later finders got into a fight with the cache owner because their signature wasn't in the log book (ie, it was in the other log book, in the replacement cache, which the cache owner couldn't find).

The worst was when I couldn't find my own cache and replaced it, only to have the next finder report that he'd found both. :P

I always have logbooks, film cannisters, pencils and other Cache relevant things with me so that I can repair "Temp disabled" Caches. I always inform the owners that I am doing this.

I hope nobody ever replaces one of my caches with a film pot.... I'd never live it down!! If one of my caches is 'temporarily disabled' then it means that I'm doing something about and wouldn't appreciate 'interference' from somebody else.

We visited a cache not long ago with a huge string of DNF's spanning back to April. The cacher before us had replaced the cache with a micro in what they thought was the obvious spot. So we merrily hunted for the replacement. I thought I had it and then realised when I opened the pot and looked at the log book the last log was from April!

The reason for the huge string of DNF's? The location was behind a wall of nettles that on our visit had just died down enough for us to spot it and get to it. Between May and June they would have been pretty fierce! Oh and the coords were pretty off! :P The cache owner hadn't reacted to the DNF string at all though and I think the previous cacher definitely did the right thing in replacing it. At least someone cared about the cache! ;)