Real Pipe Bombs, Concord, CA

Pipes Bomb Found in Concord, CA

Three real pipe bombs found and detonated so far. There is currently one active cache in Newell park, where this last one was found. I wonder if it will become a casualty in the search for more bombs. I see that our very own Jellis is from this area, and probably more of you. I hope you keep us informed.

Police said that at about noon today, a man walking in the park found a cylindrical device near Turtle Creek Road and carried it to a nearby park maintenance area.Park employees told the man put to the object down and then left the area and called Concord police.Responding officers concluded the device was likely a pipe bomb and evacuated a large section of the park.The Walnut Creek bomb squad came and detonated the device. Their investigators later determined it was in fact a pipe bomb and that its fuse had been ignited but failed to detonate the bomb, Concord police said.
If I were cache owners in the area I'd temporarily disable and remove the caches until this blows over.

I don't think you'd be let in to remove them (the park is closed), but notifying the police about your cache would be a VERY good idea!! Another article I read says that all three so far have been found in Newell Park. Here's some more info... note the part that I bolded:

Two other pipe bombs were found in the park Wednesday afternoon and detonated by Walnut Creek police.

Morrissey said police have not determined a suspect or a motive but are actively investigating the incidents.

Residents are reminded to not touch or move any suspicious devices and should instead call police or notify a parks worker if any more are found.

If I were cache owners in the area I'd temporarily disable and remove the caches until this blows over.

Actually, one of the Cache Owners did go out and talk with the LEO's during their investigation. She posted an update on our local Forums, and they had a few questions but didn't seem too concerned about it at this time. They were actually standing about 15 feet from one of her placements :blink:;)

Actually, one of the Cache Owners did go out and talk with the LEO's during their investigation. She posted an update on our local Forums, and they had a few questions but didn't seem too concerned about it at this time. They were actually standing about 15 feet from one of her placements :blink:;)

Good to hear, I was just going to say that if I were the CO, I would contact the authorities and make them aware of the cache and it's location, so that they don't waste their time blowing it up or unnecessarily freak out upon finding it.

Not that a geocache looks anything like a pipe bomb, but honestly if I were a LEO and unaware of geocaching and found an ammo can hidden, I'd be a little suspicious of it.

About 15 feet, huh? Sounds like they were just about ready to stumble on it. Its good to hear that she took that initiative.

Any theories about these bombs? Couldn't have anything to do with the issues surround that group trying to feed the homeless, could it? (just thinking that purely because of the name of the group and knowing that there have been political scuffles... by no means accusing!!)

This is the reason why we have so many police destroying geocaches. People still do make pipe bombs. I didn't actually think people actually did this, I always thought they were overreacting... I guess I was wrong, people still do make bombs.

I stopped making them many many years ago. Pipe bombs are so passe.

The paranoia about bombs is really just that. About 1-1/2 years ago I posted in a forum that pertained to geocaches / bombs. I stated then that in the U.S. there is a far greater chance of a plane falling on you from out of the sky and killing you than of being killed by a bomb. Since then, in three separate incidences, folks have been killed by falling planes....still no bomb deaths.........forget being struck by lightening or the roof falling in, those are high probability in comparison.

It’s all paranoia..............and I hope it stays that way.

The paranoia about bombs is really just that. About 1-1/2 years ago I posted in a forum that pertained to geocaches / bombs. I stated then that in the U.S. there is a far greater chance of a plane falling on you from out of the sky and killing you than of being killed by a bomb. Since then, in three separate incidences, folks have been killed by falling planes....still no bomb deaths.........forget being struck by lightening or the roof falling in, those are high probability in comparison.

There are more than 3,000 certified bomb technicians on roughly 475 state and local bomb squads. All civilian bomb techs go through a six-week training program at the federally funded Hazardous Devices School on the Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, Ala., which is run by the FBI and the U.S. Army.

It's all paranoia..............and I hope it stays that way.

So, is getting hit by a falling airplane now known as getting Bamboozled?

There are more than 3,000 certified bomb technicians on roughly 475 state and local bomb squads. All civilian bomb techs go through a six-week training program at the federally funded Hazardous Devices School on the Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, Ala., which is run by the FBI and the U.S. Army.

Any stats on how many times that group has responded to a report and how many of those have turned out to be some sort of actual device?

This is the reason why we have so many police destroying geocaches. People still do make pipe bombs. I didn't actually think people actually did this, I always thought they were overreacting... I guess I was wrong, people still do make bombs.

Apparently they not only make them, they put them in places like parks that should br reserved for caching. Maybe we could make a deal with the folks at pipebombing.com - they stay away from parts, lamp posts, and guard rails and we will stay away from railroad tracks and airports.

Maybe we could make a deal with the folks at pipebombing.com - they stay away from parts, lamp posts, and guard rails and we will stay away from railroad tracks and airports.

But you need parts to make pipe bombs. :blink:

There you go, problem solved. No parts, no bombs. Although staying away from parks would be a good starting place, particularly on nice summer days. At least the ones in question do not appear to have been labeled as official geocaches.

Edited by mulvaney
Maybe we could make a deal with the folks at pipebombing.com - they stay away from parts, lamp posts, and guard rails and we will stay away from railroad tracks and airports.

But you need parts to make pipe bombs. :blink:

There you go, problem solved. No parts, no bombs. Although staying away from parks would be a good starting place, particularly on nice summer days. At least the ones in question do not appear to have been labeled as official geocaches.

I always label my caches as "Medical waste". I don't want anybody thinking they are bombs.