take more than one?

jpanda97

Don't buy into the guilt trip about nice to trade. Travel Bug owners want their bugs to travel and their wishes are the most important. No TB owner wants to see his bug sit in a cache for many visits and not move because the person didn't have one to trade. There are no restrictions on taking bugs.

When I head out for vacation I clean out several spots in this area and clean out where I go to.

The statement I have on my TB Hotel is treat it like a buffet, take all you want, log all you take.

Don't buy into the guilt trip about nice to trade. Travel Bug owners want their bugs to travel and their wishes are the most important. No TB owner wants to see his bug sit in a cache for many visits and not move because the person didn't have one to trade. There are no restrictions on taking bugs.

When I head out for vacation I clean out several spots in this area and clean out where I go to.

The statement I have on my TB Hotel is treat it like a buffet, take all you want, log all you take.

Exactly, well said.

:)

Neocacher here....I found a travel bug in a cache this evening but the bug was not activated....does this mean it's mine to activate? (hope so 'cause I did) If that was the wrong thing to do, please tell me how to fix it....don't want to spoil it for anyone - just trying to learn the ropes. Also, the bug was not listed in the "contents" on the geocache.com site....

:laughing:

Neocacher here....I found a travel bug in a cache this evening but the bug was not activated....does this mean it's mine to activate? (hope so 'cause I did) If that was the wrong thing to do, please tell me how to fix it....don't want to spoil it for anyone - just trying to learn the ropes. Also, the bug was not listed in the "contents" on the geocache.com site....

I'm new too. I have found new coins with tracking numbers that are personal coins that some people have made. The ones that I have seen are "PathTags" I thought I was scoring a new TB, but it wasn't. I still like collecting them too.

As long as you can assist the bug towards its mission it doesn't matter if you take two or twenty.

Move Those Bugs!

I got one thing against people taking all the TB's. (let the mudslinging commence). 1. If I look on the inventory and 5 travel bugs are listed. 2. Pack my kids up and head to the cache. 3. Get there and they are all gone.. 4. Disappointment sets in.

Granted different people took of taken one at a time by the time I get there. But inventory shows 5 TBs and there are only 2 log entries at the cache. I am thinking one person took all five or the other person took what was ever left.

Edited by sodapop11

(let the mudslinging commence)

Okay, I'll start. I didn't release my bug to be left behind trying to make sure that everyone has a bug available for them when they finally have the time to make it out to a cache. That kind of thinking is where travel bug prisons come from. "It's so people can enjoy finding a bug."

Ah no, not with my bug you don't.

Pick up two bugs and email the owners asking if you should move them both or leave one behind assuming someone else will eventually assist it. What do you think they'll say?

I say that my travel bugs are meant to move and you have no business saying someone should have left it behind just for you.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Because I lack the ability to predict the future when I get to a cache and there are more than on travel bug I will usually take more than since I don't know when the next person is going to be coming through.

And I probably wouldn't travel out to a cache specifically to grab a travel bug since those lists are typically pretty inaccurate.

I got one thing against people taking all the TB's. (let the mudslinging commence). 1. If I look on the inventory and 5 travel bugs are listed. 2. Pack my kids up and head to the cache. 3. Get there and they are all gone.. 4. Disappointment sets in
\\

The missing bug issue is well known and much documented and has nothing to do with people taking as much as they want. It comes from people who take them and don't log them followed by a CO who doesn't check his caches's inventory to make sure the listed bugs are there (particularly if they have sat their a long time) and then taking appropriate actions.

Sometimes, when you find a travel bug in a cache that has not been activated, it is a "gift" from a fellow geocacher. As I understand it, if it has not been activated, it is yours to do with as you please. That means keep it (activated or not) or place it in another cache. Finding an unactivated trackable in a cache is like getting an early Christmas present. Congratulations!

Sometimes, when you find a travel bug in a cache that has not been activated, it is a "gift" from a fellow geocacher. As I understand it, if it has not been activated, it is yours to do with as you please. That means keep it (activated or not) or place it in another cache. Finding an unactivated trackable in a cache is like getting an early Christmas present. Congratulations!

Typically a gift tb tag is going to be in the original packaging. If you find a bug that has a tag attached to a traveler you might want to verify a few things first.

TRAVEL bugs are meant to travel. Move them. They are not trade items. Help them along.

Unactivated? Are you sure you typed in the numbers correctly? B=8, I=1, S=5 and so on... Was anything attached to it? Or was it in a small plastic bag with two tags (one says "COPY") and an activation code on the bag? If it's the first one, someone most likely owns it and you got the numbers wrong. If it's the second one, then they probably left it as swag and you should have traded even, traded up, or not traded at all.