Rule clarification...

O.K. I have searched around and still do not have an answer to my question. I am gearing up to go hide four or so caches that I have worked very hard on. Two of them are kinda iffy to me. I made two that are a statue with a container under them. I know there is a rule about digging. I need to know how literal that rule is. I have seen dozens of caches that are made just like the ones I have. If its soft dirt, and you have talked to the land owner is it ok to push them into the ground? I want to cache, but I also want to put a few caches in spots that I know are very kid friendly. Trouble is the only place to hide any cache in these spots is to push them into the ground. Here is a pic of the basic idea. No i am not using a rubber ducky. It was just a fast model to download in sketchup. :blink: The ground would come right to the top of the pill container. Again no I am not using a pill container...they leak too badly. But you get what I am asking...right?

ducky.jpg

If you have explicit permission from the land owner it's good to go.
Explicit permission would not be required unless it is an area where explicit permission is required by the land owner (sounds like cyclical logic, but it really isn't). Adequate permission is required, and what is adequate may, or may not be explicit where he is wanting to hide this.

Get permission. Ask your reviewer. When you ask your reviewer mention the fact you have permission. In some areas the "buried" guideline drift to end of the spectrum or another- usually with reason.

Go with whatever your reviewer says.

This. Just be sure to explain the idea thoroughly to your local reviewer. Tricking/ling to them falls outside the good idea spectrum.

It has long been held that 'pushing' an item, such as a sprinkler head' into the ground does not violate the 'no digging' guideline.

That is what I was looking for. Thanks you! Also what is a reviewer? You have to be reviewed to post a cache? I thought I had a good grasp of what the process was?

It has long been held that 'pushing' an item, such as a sprinkler head' into the ground does not violate the 'no digging' guideline.

That is what I was looking for. Thanks you! Also what is a reviewer? You have to be reviewed to post a cache? I thought I had a good grasp of what the process was?

Please be sure that you read and REALLY understand the Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

This is the first paragraph.

These are listing guidelines only. Before a cache is published on the website, a volunteer will review the page for inaccuracies, bad coordinates, and compliance with these guidelines. The physical cache site is not verified. As the cache owner, you are responsible for the placement and care of your cache.

You might also want to read some of the Groundspeak Knowledge Books.

http://support.Groundspeak.com//index.php?...apter&id=22

That is generally true. I guess it depends on what you are pushing into the ground. If you are pushing a spike type device into the ground it should be fine.

If are you are going to be driving a post in the ground your reviewer will probably have a dim view of it.

When in doubt check with your reviewer (see Motorcycle Mama's post above).

That is generally true. I guess it depends on what you are pushing into the ground. If you are pushing a spike type device into the ground it should be fine.

If are you are going to be driving a post in the ground your reviewer will probably have a dim view of it.

When in doubt check with your reviewer (see Motorcycle Mama's post above).

It's pretty clear from the OP's pic that he isn't installing a fence.

It's pretty clear from the OP's pic that he isn't installing a fence.

Clearly, he's installing a duck. :laughing:

He never said how big the duck was, did he?

<snipped pic>

The bigger the duck is, the easier it will be to push the medicine bottle-sized container into the ground.