kayakerinme geocoins

kayakerinme

It's been a long time since I visited the geocoin forums, longer still since I made a post, and even longer since I started a topic.

Four years ago I created a set of coins that I consider my small contribution to the geocoin community. If you're not familiar with the 5-coin panel, you can find more information at kayakerinme.com.

I'd like to say for the record, again, that I always intend kayakerinme sets to be trade-only. This has caused discussions in the past about whether I can say that. I certainly can't enforce it as is evidenced by the auction currently taking place or the handful that have transacted over the years. It is, to me, a matter of principal and integrity. I guess in that way I'm old school - an anachronism in the geocoin community.

I was recently informed that two sets of my coins are to be auctioned on ebay. I've voiced my strong objection; it will not dissuade. So be it.

That said, I hope anyone who is thinking of bidding will first consider making a trade with me. I have a number of antique silver kayakerinme sets remaining from my 2006 minting. Pictures are available with the information at kayakerinme.com. You, too, can obtain a kayakerinme set without the need to bid.

Got 3-5 trackable coins you can trade? Got 3-5 coins I don't already have (and that's lots from the past 2 years)? Send me an email through the forums and I'm sure we can work out a deal. I'll be offline for the 10 year event in Canada but will be back online on Monday 7/12 and will reply to emails then.

I had the pleasure of trading with you @ GCF '08 in Pittsburgh. I still have the set (even the baggie you put them in) and would not consider selling them. By the same token, I don't recall ANY mention of NEVER selling them at the time of the trade! I probably would have thought twice b-4 proceeding because I don't agree with such stipulations.

I had the pleasure of trading with you @ GCF '08 in Pittsburgh. I still have the set (even the baggie you put them in) and would not consider selling them. By the same token, I don't recall ANY mention of NEVER selling them at the time of the trade! I probably would have thought twice b-4 proceeding because I don't agree with such stipulations.

I clearly remember reading on Barry's website back then, that this set was NOT to be sold on Ebay, whether traded from Kayakerinme or anyone else. He also mentioned, to contact him first so he can get the set back.

I have one of the sets on E-Bay now. I have not ben on the forums recently and not been active in geocoins for over a year. Until this evening I had not been contacted by anyone voicing an objection to their sale. I feel that once you make a trade the coins are the property of the person you traded with. When I traded with Barry he did not trade them to me under any condition that he made known to me, in fact his e-mail said that I could do what ever I wanted with the coins. I had never been to his website and never even knew he had one. When they arrived they had no disclaimer attached with any conditions of ownership. Over a period of time I trade for 3 sets. I gave a copper set to a friend, sent a set traveling and saved a set which I intended to display and let people discover. I am now no longer into the geocoin thing for multiple reasons, so I am selling my unactivated coins. I had received many gift "secret" coins and a Moun10bike coin (from Jon himself) and those I have re-gifted to others. The first coin I made was trackable and I gave most of them away-with no conditions attached in geocaches (now that is real old school). If you trade coins with a presumed restriction on them that should be made known at the time of the trade - or better yet have it engraved into the coin so everyone is aware. An other option is to activate them all yourself so you retain "ownership" of them even though they are in an other person's collection. So now I have unknowingly placed these coins up for sale and other unknowing people have bid on them. It certainly was not done against anyones express wishes that I was aware of and not done with the intent of upsetting anyone. Had I been made aware from the start that these coins were not to be sold they would not be on E-Bay now.

I clearly remember reading on Barry's website back then, that this set was NOT to be sold on Ebay, whether traded from Kayakerinme or anyone else. He also mentioned, to contact him first so he can get the set back.

Again, nothing was said to me at the time of the trade with Barry. To assume that I had read a website regarding the "stipulations" of this coin(s) is quite a stretch.

Again, nothing was said to me at the time of the trade with Barry. To assume that I had read a website regarding the "stipulations" of this coin(s) is quite a stretch.

I've posted several times on various threads about not being for sale. However, if you contact me, I'm sure we can trade back. Or sell them. Or enjoy them. As I said, I cannot control what people do with them - only re-state my intent and opinion.

I gifted my copper set to Hollora :laughing: She really wanted it for her grandbaby!

~J

And indeed it is in the hand's of Amara's mother (Francis Family), if not already activated it will be.........and it will NEVER be sold (in our generation). Thank you GeocoinGuy and in some century we will be square on the trade my friend.

My silver set already has a cavaet in the baggie for whomever may get it after I am gone. It has been discovered by a few and I hope more to come.

Quess these are special to me as I know KIM, know the background on the coins and also knew the website and caveat. KIM introduced me to coins and is the reason I even care or are involved with them.

So - IF anyone who requests a set from KIM (Barry) and it can not be filled (within the next month) - I would give up my silver set with some CAVEATS! As GeocoinGuy dd for me so my Granddaughter could have a set.

My guidelines are strong and long and until I die I will monitor...............you will not acquire this set from me, for which I paid nothing, and generate any personal gain other than ownership, appreciation and sharing for discovery - perhaps passing on in a trade but you better share the guidelines - they are transferrable.

Thank you - GeocoinGuy for ensuring what will probably be a 3rd generation cacher has a very limited edition of this coin!

I gifted my copper set to Hollora :huh: She really wanted it for her grandbaby!

~J

And indeed it is in the hand's of Amara's mother (Francis Family), if not already activated it will be.........and it will NEVER be sold (in our generation). Thank you GeocoinGuy and in some century we will be square on the trade my friend.

My silver set already has a cavaet in the baggie for whomever may get it after I am gone. It has been discovered by a few and I hope more to come.

Quess these are special to me as I know KIM, know the background on the coins and also knew the website and caveat. KIM introduced me to coins and is the reason I even care or are involved with them.

So - IF anyone who requests a set from KIM (Barry) and it can not be filled (within the next month) - I would give up my silver set with some CAVEATS! As GeocoinGuy dd for me so my Granddaughter could have a set.

My guidelines are strong and long and until I die I will monitor...............you will not acquire this set from me, for which I paid nothing, and generate any personal gain other than ownership, appreciation and sharing for discovery - perhaps passing on in a trade but you better share the guidelines - they are transferrable.

Thank you - GeocoinGuy for ensuring what will probably be a 3rd generation cacher has a very limited edition of this coin!

heh... I'm a grandparent.. how could I NOT send it to you! :laughing:

~J

Barry,

I fully understand where you are coming from. When I first read your post, I looked on the E-Place and have since found at least 3 of my personal coins for sale there in the past week. On one hand, it is flattering to know that even my "non-trackable" coin is desireable. I would just like to go on record here for the benefit of some the newer collectors, I have never sold my Personal JayBee/LitLens GeoCoin and never will.

My personal policy is that if I purchase a coin, then yes I have the right to re-sell it. If I aquire a personal coin via a trade, then I will only trade it or "gift" it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.... :)

:rolleyes::D:lol::);)

Got the AS set today - I have no idea why I didn't get these when they came out - they are lovely.

They are to go in our display case and will remind us of the State o' Maine and the wonderful times we had there.

I have yet to sell any of my personally-owned geocoins and have no intention of selling these.

The only coins I've ever sold were for the ASPGB event.

Did you get my trades yet, kayakerinme? :rolleyes:

I have a set and they are very important to me. Kayakerinme sent me the set. They will be passed on for generations because they represent us and where we live so well. Down back on the pond we have loons. We have had a moose that travels the neighborhood, got a video of my daughter trying to catch it. We have even had a baby bear in a tree, their is pine trees in the yard. Every winter my grandson and I go collect some and he puts peanut butter and bird seed in them for the birds and we can see Mt. Katahdin from our front window. My grandson looks at them and knows why we have them. Each one reminds us of special moments we have shared.

Hi!

I don't know if you remember us, but we traded you for a set a LONG time ago. Currently, we are selling off some coins, to raise money for Better Half's ongoing medical expenses from her stroke. We gave our word that we would NEVER sell this set, and we won't. :)

Great to see you at GeoWoodstock 8!

This was a fun set to collect, kinda panicked me out when I knew I needed 5 coins Barry didn't have to trade for the set! :D

This was our first trade. Joe must have sent kayackerinme 20 emails. We did not have a clue what we were doing. Since we have a place in Maine and are active in the restoration of loons, Joe had to get this set for a surprise Xmas present for Sue. Finally, an answer from the coin owner right before Xmas and the trade was made. We were sent the XLE (did not know what that was yet) set as he put it " for being so persistent" :) . That started a friendship that continues to grow! Our most treasured geocoins!

Edited by JoenSue