Couple of Q's

I have been out of geocaching for about a year now. :lol: Sadly real life too over too much. :rolleyes: I have a new dog an 8 month of German Sheppard. We have gotten into hiking with her. As the soon-to-be wife and I have more free time we want to get back into caching. However, a change of username is in order due to changes in my personal life. How does one go about that, but still keep a record of the caches found?

I recently purchased a Garmin Oregon 450. Love it, however after the first trip it has some minor scratches on it. Nothing you can see when the unit is turned on, unless it is held are the right angle. Does anyone have any recommendations for good screen protectors? I have done some searching, some people say 3M or a 3M style. Mainly looking for a few links to stuff that people have used. Also is a case worth getting? If so any recommendations?

Lastly, the basic map sucks. It is will work and get me through, but im looking for something a little more. Mainly for geocaching and hiking. Reviews that I have read say that Garmin's 100k and 24k topo maps are not worth it considering the money. I was able to find this http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/1 Which I need to fiddle with. Just wondering if anyone has any other recommendations for maps.

Sorry for all the questions. This is my first good GPS unit that I have purchased. All others were barrowing old ones from friends. Thanks in advance for any information.

Username is pretty easy: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p...page&id=115.

Cannot imagine a 3M product being bad, we use Zagg™ screen protector (don't care for things like xxxx-"style" as copies are just copies and usually poor ones at that). A quality screen protector will generally hide a less-than super serious scratch rendering invisible to all but who know it is there.

We use Topo-8, haven't tried any others, so... commenting would be out-of-place.

Enjoy your new unit and company! :lol:

Screen Protectors, I'm fond of Invisible Shield - Zagg - same as Gitchee-Gummee. They were advertising on this site. I haven't noticed their ads lately. I generally hunt bargains - I've seen their shield for a different product on sale somewhere (Best Buy, Amazon) and bought it, then just cut it to fit, rather then pay full price for the one that's precise to my unit.

They last a long time. I'd buy the second when/if I needed it. You might replace the unit before you needed another.

Sorry, I know nothing about Garmin maps.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Zagg that was the name, could not remember it for the life of me. Thanks for that info. Let hope someone can come along with some info on cases and maps. Thanks guys/gals. Love this community so helpful!

Also when you state you use Topo-8 who makes that product and where might I be able to find it? Sorry for all the questions, most of this GPS stuff is new to me.

Edited by CHAnosers

The Garmin 24K's are well worth the money. They have all the POI's the Navigator series does and the TOPO features plus being routable. It doesn't get any better than that. I haven't heard of any of the free ones being routable.

So when you say routable to mean. . . .what? lol sorry :lol: Also does the 24k maps display all/most road for easy city caching? How would routing come into play when hiking/geocaching?

Routable means that if you ask it to plot a route between where you are and where you want to go, it knows how to find the roads and intersections to get you there according the criteria you specify, generally least amount of time or shortest distance. There are maps that don't have routing, but they only show you "as the crow flies". The default map that comes with the 400t is not routable, as you might have noticed.

When geocaching/hiking, I turn routing off. The easiest way to do it on the 400t is to make up different profiles. I have one for geocaching, which uses the Geocaching dashboard and has routing and other stuff turned off. I have another profile called Automotive, which has routing turned on, with a 3D view that's good for navigation on roads.

I also have a profile called Waypointing, which is good for finding my way to waypoints that are not geocaches. You might have noticed that if you have the Geocaching dashboard loaded and select a waypoint as your destination, it sends you to the geocache, not the waypoint. That's why I use a different profile for waypoints.

Routable means that if you ask it to plot a route between where you are and where you want to go, it knows how to find the roads and intersections to get you there according the criteria you specify, generally least amount of time or shortest distance. There are maps that don't have routing, but they only show you "as the crow flies". The default map that comes with the 400t is not routable, as you might have noticed.

When geocaching/hiking, I turn routing off. The easiest way to do it on the 400t is to make up different profiles. I have one for geocaching, which uses the Geocaching dashboard and has routing and other stuff turned off. I have another profile called Automotive, which has routing turned on, with a 3D view that's good for navigation on roads.

I also have a profile called Waypointing, which is good for finding my way to waypoints that are not geocaches. You might have noticed that if you have the Geocaching dashboard loaded and select a waypoint as your destination, it sends you to the geocache, not the waypoint. That's why I use a different profile for waypoints.

Awsome I ordered the Zagg's today lets hope I can get them on ok. I did not order the 400t I believe it was a 450. Though I did not order the 450t version as there are no topo maps included. PokerLuck what map pack are you currently using? Thanks again everyone for all the info. I will be checking out the free maps tonight at work!

QQ

Troll much? Thanks to thoes that post with helpful info.

It was just a joke. I am sorry if it bothered you.

No bother, just didn't expect it from this community.

Contrary to popular belief geocaching is not about finding buried treasure and some geocachers actually have a sense of humor; for example, that guy that placed a cache in a hole in the back side of a large metal bear sculpture.

QQ

Contrary to popular belief geocaching is not about finding buried treasure and some geocachers actually have a sense of humor; for example, that guy that placed a cache in a hole in the back side of a large metal bear sculpture.

Now that I do find very humorous! I never through about geocaching as finding buried treasure, though I guess I could see why some would. It's more about a fun activity to do in the city, and something more to do on a hike!

QQ

Having a sense of humor or not is no excuse for random rudeness.

QQ

Such as yours?

QQ

Such as yours?

To whom was I randomly rude?

The Garmin 24K's are well worth the money. They have all the POI's the Navigator series does and the TOPO features plus being routable. It doesn't get any better than that. I haven't heard of any of the free ones being routable.

DITTO...get the CD-rom version. I have more that one Garmin and it works on both.

Just noticed all the off topics. Hmm...i guess it is about the money..huh..

Edited by alohabra