I deleted a log

42at42

GC1WVTW

I have a multi with two stages. The first stage I placed for the sole purpose of putting a warning that I also stated on the cache page.

The fisrt stage is a little tricky. The second stage is a tricky hide. I give no hints. The name of the cache is a small hint but does not give away anything.

Yesterday I seen there was a new finder. He/she is also a new cacher, this is their 5th find. Koodos to him/her for finding this one. When I first started I would have never found this. Unfortunatly his/her log gave away where to look for the cache...both stages...I mean really gave it away.

I deleted the log immediately because I didn't want it downloaded to GSAK or something like that. I then sent an email asking the finder to log the find again without the spoiler. I haven't seen a new log yet. Is this the proper way to do this.

This is the first spoiler I've had to delete.

we have a cacher in our area that warns people who post spoilers that their logs will be deleted.

I would send them an email inviting them to re-log it sans spoiler information. Treat it as a newbie mistake, and not something meant to be harmful.

With a new cacher I would have given him a day to remove or edit the log themselves. I say this for two reasons

First, a new cacher, not understanding the game as well as an old hand, might be offended by the deletion, not understand it, or never see it until later. Without prior communication you never know how they will take the log deletion and I wouldn't want to be the cause of someone quitting the game.

Second, anyone who has looked for the cache without finding it, probably has it on a watch list and has already seen the log. For me the unintentional hint to another cacher doesn't bother me as much as the potential to scare away a new cacher.

we have a cacher in our area that warns people who post spoilers that their logs will be deleted.

I would send them an email inviting them to re-log it sans spoiler information. Treat it as a newbie mistake, and not something meant to be harmful.

That is what I did. I tried to explain why I deleted the log. The last thing I want to do is upset a newbie and give them a bad taste for the game.

I probably would have given the finder a chance to edit out the spoiler before deleting it.

The only reason I didn't do it this way was it might take a couple of days. In that time some of the locals might download their PQ's with the spoiler log. The whole log was the spoiler.

I'd delete his log, and send him a flame-o-gram. :huh:

Be sure to tell him what a goof he is, for even attempting to log your cache.

Oh wait.....that's what happened to me. :anicute:

So.... don't do that.

I now IGNORE all that hiders caches. :P

The way you did it was the polite way.

Be sure and follow up with a thank you.