Idea for a cache wondering if it is legal

The cache would play out as follows.

It would be a basic cache. Hidden with coords. and description, etc.

The change would come once you get to the cache. When you arrive at the cache, you would find a set of coord. (similar to a multi) that would direct you to the critter cache (ceramic frog, turtle, etc.) After you find the critter you are allowed to move it and hide it within a certain area (the place I am thinking is a small trail system with in my town). The catch is that you would need to return to the original cache and leave the new coordinates for the next person to find the critter.

The idea would be to keep moving the critter and give people a chance to hide a cache/practice finding coordinates.

You would obviously only get credit for the first cache but it could really end up being a fun adventure.

All this would need to be well written out on both the cache description and in the actual cache. I would also need to make a special log book that would have spots for Name, Date, New Coordinates of the Critter.

Legal or not?

Cool idea or been done before and lame?

The cache would play out as follows.

It would be a basic cache. Hidden with coords. and description, etc.

The change would come once you get to the cache. When you arrive at the cache, you would find a set of coord. (similar to a multi) that would direct you to the critter cache (ceramic frog, turtle, etc.) After you find the critter you are allowed to move it and hide it within a certain area (the place I am thinking is a small trail system with in my town). The catch is that you would need to return to the original cache and leave the new coordinates for the next person to find the critter.

The idea would be to keep moving the critter and give people a chance to hide a cache/practice finding coordinates.

You would obviously only get credit for the first cache but it could really end up being a fun adventure.

All this would need to be well written out on both the cache description and in the actual cache. I would also need to make a special log book that would have spots for Name, Date, New Coordinates of the Critter.

Legal or not?

Cool idea or been done before and lame?

Sounds legal if you have the good coords. There is one like this in Calgary called Cache and Dash, where once you find the cache you must place it somewhere else in Calgary within a few days and post the coords online. If you find it you musut leave some orange flagging tape left in the cache to let others know it is not there. It should work as long as 2 cachers dont go looking for it on the same day.

The actual cache would never move.

Only the critter whose coords will be in the actual cache would move. Then when someone finds the cache, they move the critter and both post the coords of the critter and physically write them on the log book.

This way if I find it and move the critter and you show up 5 min. later you can find the cache then hunt the critter.

Edited by smitty19983

You know the area, and that the cachers there are conscientious enough to do a great re-hide, so they'll properly update coordinates. Most places, I'd be concerned that it would be badly re-hidden where it gets lost or stolen. This would be a nightmare for the Cache Owner, when a log says the stage is missing. Each time, the Cache Owner must go look for it. Replace it, and now you might have two frogs.

In many places, this would be a lot of extra work for the CO, to prevent it from being archived.

Don't you also have to update the new waypoint on the cache page?

Edited by kunarion

Just a couple of thoughts...

The second part, presumeably with the logbook, sounds like a travelling cache which is no longer allowed per the Guidelines. The second part of that issue is the off chance that the second part of the cache would run afoul of the Saturation portion of the Guidelines, since it seems unlikely that folks would check for nearby caches, let alone care.

The second potential issue would be the requirement to move the cache to log a Find. A potential Additional Logging Requirement, which is also not allowed anymore.

Just my .02 :)

Thanks peeps-

This is exactly the feed back that I needed.

I could see the critter being lost, and then replacing it only to find out we now have 2 out in the trails. That would could turn into a real nightmare. I do think that all the local cachers would do a great job of recording the new coords and hiding the critter.

As for the additional logging requirement. What if the critter portion was an option. You don't have to find the critter but you can if you want. If you find him, you are free to move him if you want. If you would rather just find the Ammo box with all the info, that would be cool also.

If this is a horrible and unusable idea, please let me know.

There is one in Half Moon Bay where you have to find it. Plant it close by that day and update the coordinates with a website log. I happened to be caching in the area went to the coordinates that I checked onliine that morning, it wasn't there so presumed someone had grabbed and not gotten around to updating the log.

Promply went to ignore list. I can't figure out how it got past the reviewer.

There are caches that are re-hid vertically (up a wall or stairs) where the coords don't change, and where the container remains in a defined area. Maybe you could have several fixed points to choose (say, one of the corners of a fountain in a park).

If it has a limited range of movement, it might be easier to maintain.

ALRs are not allowed anymore, thus many won't do it.

Pretty much sums it up. You can "suggest" anything you want, but a lot of people won't do it. Sounds like an interesting idea, and I'm sure you could do it. There would probably be very little participation in my area, but I can't speak for yours. ;)