Less Social Cachers

Yesterday as I was running errands, I happened to see 3 people (a lady and two teens/pre-teens) wandering around an area that has a cache with a GPS in their hands and looking around like they were trying to find something. I pulled into the parking lot, rolled down the window and threw out the "Hey, have you found it yet?"

The kids smiled and seemed very friendly, however I think I either embarassed or scared the older (?) lady, as she sat down on the bench facing away from me and mumbled something about not yet. She was looking at her piece of paper though, so I thought that maybe she was just concentrating. I started to mention that I hadn't found this one yet either, and she remained silent and facing away from me.

I took the hint. I drove off. I'm not offended, I'm not angry. The only thing that bothers me about the whole thing is that I made her uncomfortable. I guess this is my apology to the lady that I bothered yesterday.

Awww... I would feel bad too. We've had one encounter with other cachers like that while we were in Eastern Oregon. We were excited to see other cachers on the trail and they really didn't want to talk to us, and we wanted to help them because they were looking in the entirely wrong spot... but we just let them be.

Every other time we've met other cachers on the trail it's been very pleasant.

One of the beautiful things about this sport is that there are so many different types of people involved, but it can be awkward at times.

did she have a barking pug? if so, I'm sorry I offended you lol

No kidding, wasn't me.

I have been guilty of trying to ditch fellows on the trail tho, due to my dog going absolutley nuts on them!

When not with the geo-pug I have a much better time, but he needs his walks too...

Thinking a little more about it, I'm not necessarily friendly looking to ladies in their late 40's to early 50's who are by themselves or with kids as I drive up to them in my car and start talking to them. That may have been a factor...

You and my husband share a common feature, you're tall, dark and have a lot of tattoos. He has been told several times that he's intimidating looking; although like you, he is quite friendly... but I could see how someone might be bothered if my hubby pulled up on his Harley, or even my car and started just randomly talking to them.

:)

Thinking a little more about it, I'm not necessarily friendly looking to ladies in their late 40's to early 50's who are by themselves or with kids as I drive up to them in my car and start talking to them. That may have been a factor...

I agree, you are a little scary looking Jay :laughing::)

I'm not a social cacher. If I meet another cacher on the trail AFTER I've found the cache, I'll be glad to say hello and exchange a "Good luck! Have fun!" with them. But if I'm on my way to the cache, or going round and round GZ muttering curses under my breath, I wanna be left alone. I logged a DNF yesterday after a long frustrating search. Near the end of the ordeal, a couple of chaps went by on a nearby trail. I knew they were cachers, and it would have been easy to give them a friendly holler. But I hid behind a tree until they passed by. No big deal. Just the way I roll.

I took the hint. I drove off. I'm not offended, I'm not angry. The only thing that bothers me about the whole thing is that I made her uncomfortable. I guess this is my apology to the lady that I bothered yesterday.

I think there is no reason for you to feel bad. I have to admit that I am also not the type of cacher who is really enthusiastic about meeting other cachers during my search or somewhere on my way, in particular if I am not in the mood for talking and went caching to be alone and to forget the problems of daily life. From time to time I do enjoy meeting other cachers wile being out caching, but that depends on my mood and the day and also whether or not I meet the cachers for the first time.

I can, however, understand somehow that you felt uncomfortable from the other end of the spectrum. I sometimes go for certain well-visited caches on days where I hope that I will not meet other cachers because I fear that they would consider it as strange if I do not want to join their group enthusiastically or have some sort of smalltalk conversation (something I really hate and are extremely bad at). I do know that many cachers like to socialize. For such cachers my behaviour appears strange and they tend to think that I am arrogant or have something against them which is not the case.

If you are not offended and not angry, that's already quite fine, from my point of view. Some cachers take it personal if one does not join up for some smalltalk.

Cezanne

I have been caught twice by other cachers. The first time was after work when I stopped by "Tunnel Vision" For the second time looking for the smiley. I was walking side to side. Looking over and under ect... When a truck pulls up and parks close by. I decided that I would have to give it up for the night. So I turned and headed toward my van to leave. The driver then popped his head out and hollard "Did ya find it"! I turned bright red and answered "no". So then we strike up a converstion. I find out they are cachers from another state. He is and EMT/FF, and his wife was down here on a business. They were trying to catch a few caches in SC. Well after talking for a bit we decided to hit the next closest cache. I sure am glad they were not serial killers!!

The second time I was caught my son and I were out trying to find a cache that I have had my eye on for months. Here I am with the phone walking and talking. GZ is still a ways off. When my son reaches out and snatches it out of no where. I had walked right past it. Just then a car pulled up and said that he had done a good job to find it so quick. That she had found that one a few years ago herself. We introduced using caching names. Then she was on her way. Hopefully we will all meet again.

If I am alone, which so far I have been...and out on a trail like I was yesterday.....not many people around....

I am friendly as long as you don't get too close. Start coming toward me, and I will start to back up, and I will tell you to stay back. I don't care if you are a nice couple with two kids, out caching. I trust no one.

I don't know who is an axe murderer and who is not. :lol:

A woman out with two kids may be rather vulnerable, and maybe she knew it, but wasn't assertive enough to tell you to keep driving--or she is still stuck in politeness mode (the way we were brought up).

Anyone has access to these cache coordinates. Some of them would make excellent places to wait in ambush.

On the other side of Orlando, there has been a rash of rapes......near one of the recreation trails. Very much like the trail I was on yesterday.

My advice as a paranoid person--I certainly don't have the creds as a cacher--if they don't want to talk, leave them. Look at the situation. Maybe you're a big scary guy and it's a soccer mom with her 13 year old son. Get too close and you risk attack with a hiking staff, pepper spray, or a gun. You just don't know.

And yes, it makes me sad sometimes to even have to think about living that way. :lol:

If I am alone, which so far I have been...and out on a trail like I was yesterday.....not many people around....

I am friendly as long as you don't get too close. Start coming toward me, and I will start to back up, and I will tell you to stay back. I don't care if you are a nice couple with two kids, out caching. I trust no one.

A woman out with two kids may be rather vulnerable, and maybe she knew it, but wasn't assertive enough to tell you to keep driving--or she is still stuck in politeness mode (the way we were brought up).

Anyone has access to these cache coordinates. Some of them would make excellent places to wait in ambush.

On the other side of Orlando, there has been a rash of rapes......near one of the recreation trails. Very much like the trail I was on yesterday.

My advice as a paranoid person--I certainly don't have the creds as a cacher--if they don't want to talk, leave them. Look at the situation. Maybe you're a big scary guy and it's a soccer mom with her 13 year old son. Get too close and you risk attack with a hiking staff, pepper spray, or a gun. You just don't know.

And yes, it makes me sad sometimes to even have to think about living that way. :lol:

Yikes. It makes me sad to think that others think about living that way.

I've placed a cache in the park across from where I live and have seen a few people searching for it from time to time. I saw someone wandering around GZ as I was coming home one day so I pulled into my driveway then walked across the road. I called out, "Find it yet?" as I was walking toward the area. Without looking he said, "don't tell me where it is. I want to find it myself.". I just said, "okay, good luck" and walked back home. He DNFd it. It's only had two 2 DNFs and 166 finds.

I've been fortunate to meet quite a few cachers while out caching and although I am not an extremely outgoing person, I always grab the chance to meet like-minded people. A couple of times the people I met weren't cachers and had no idea what geocaching was until I explained it to them. One of the nicest couples I met while returning to my vehicle from placing some caches. They were returning to their vehicle after finding several of my caches in the area and we chatted for quite some time. On my way home I stopped to check on one of my caches and they pulled in behind me to let me know they were trying to catch up with me so they could give me an ammo can fully stocked. Their reason, because they enjoyed searching for my caches so much they wanted to have another one to find when they came back to the area. I got to see them again last Saturday at a CITO and Flash Mob event in Mtn Home. Even if I received a cold shoulder from someone I met while caching, I would still make the effort to meet and talk to someone on the trail.

Yikes. It makes me sad to think that others think about living that way.

I know. It's quite a shock. I was raised 100 miles NE of you, and we never locked our doors, and left our car keys under the seat. Never in a million years did I dream of living like this.

I've been toting for 5 years now, and it makes you MORE paranoid if you are not careful. Unfortunately, bad things do happen down here....makes me long for NY, but there is nothing there for me now. Luckily, I happen to like guns. Always did.

But anyway, never mind that depressing stuff. I think if I looked for a bit, I wouldn't mind someone giving me a hint. I like trying to see if I can find it, but I am too impatient to look for more than a few minutes. I don't think I want it pointed out, just give me a hint, or let me know if my phone is sending me too far away from it.

Someone I know is coming down from Canada, and wants to go out. If we can arrange it, it will be my first time caching with someone else. I believe he has over 1,000 finds, so I will learn something as well.

And we will be sure to say hi to other cachers. :D

Edited by MightyParagon

I'm not always very social. I spend my work days being social and by the time I hit the weekends when I cache I'm kind over being social unless I'm out with my friend or mom or whatever. That being said I'll talk to muggles and people here and there. Met a really fun muggle once and didn't talk a lick about geocaching.

If approached by other geocachers I would probably be social in that moment but I certainly wouldn't be following them around to caches as a group. But I would acknowledge their existence.

I've worked with the more questionable in the area as clients so I don't worry about who I run into while out and about much.