Replacing a misplaced/stolen cache?

NicHK

there is a cache near where i live, and it is definitely not there, it hasn't been found in about 3-4 months, but i think it's a really cool location and idea. is there anyway i can put a new one there and "revamp" it? by that i mean put it where i'd like to, and just make it a "2.0".

The best thing you can do is post a "needs archived" log on the other cache, and once it's gone, make your own listing in that spot, because otherwise it's a 'throwdown' cache, and you don't really own it. Hope that helps :)

Try emailing the CO and ask if you can adopt the cache. If so your in business, if no answer post the "needs archived".

The best thing you can do is post a "needs archived" log on the other cache, and once it's gone, make your own listing in that spot, because otherwise it's a 'throwdown' cache, and you don't really own it. Hope that helps :)

Try emailing the CO and ask if you can adopt the cache. If so your in business, if no answer post the "needs archived".

my business.

there is a cache near where i live, and it is definitely not there, it hasn't been found in about 3-4 months, but i think it's a really cool location and idea. is there anyway i can put a new one there and "revamp" it? by that i mean put it where i'd like to, and just make it a "2.0".

You wouldn't be the first to do that, but you are simply keeping an unmaintained cache alive. If there is no cache there and the owner is not being responsive issue an SBA and if you like the area so much, place your own cache there once the original was archived.

I would post a NM...then wait... then email the CO... then wait... then post an NA. Give the CO a chance to fix things before posting an NA.

Who knows what's going on in his or her life.

Edited by brslk

That's true, I as I am rereading the OP's post, all they said was "haven't been found in 3-4 months" I realize they didn't say there were any DNFs...

Sometimes caches just go unfound for that long, sometimes longer. I found one recently that hadn't been found in 3 years.

I realize that my answer may have been in haste. Could we have some more information, OP? Is the CO a current active member? Are there DNFs? Is it maintained?

That's true, I as I am rereading the OP's post, all they said was "haven't been found in 3-4 months" I realize they didn't say there were any DNFs...

Sometimes caches just go unfound for that long, sometimes longer. I found one recently that hadn't been found in 3 years.

I realize that my answer may have been in haste. Could we have some more information, OP? Is the CO a current active member? Are there DNFs? Is it maintained?

well, i know that where that cache was hidden just was remodeled (it was hidden in front of a store, on a barrier type thing), and it's a great idea, but when they were remodeling, i'm sure they snatched it up with the old rocks (or whatever was there) and tossed it away. i've been out there twice along with 3 other people that couldn't find it, so it's evident that it's gone.

well, i know that where that cache was hidden just was remodeled (it was hidden in front of a store, on a barrier type thing), and it's a great idea, but when they were remodeling, i'm sure they snatched it up with the old rocks (or whatever was there) and tossed it away. i've been out there twice along with 3 other people that couldn't find it, so it's evident that it's gone.

Can you link to the Cache or give the GC number for it?

If that cache isn't archived, then you wouldn't be able to put a new one there. (proximity issue)

Unless you've been in contact with the CO, you don't know the whole story, and making assumptions can be bad.

"Unofficially adopting and maintaining" a cache is useless. Only the "official" cache owner will receive notices and emails. Only the official CO will be able to post "maintenance" logs, thereby removing any NM attributes. The reviewer will only contact and deal with the official cache owner of record.

Post your DNF's, or notes, and add to the history of the cache. Suddenly popping up and posting an Needs Archived looks suspicious, without a long history of DNF's.

Please post the GC number of the cache in question.

I can't find the GC anymore because it was archived, the owner of the cache knows that the cache is gone because of landscaping (i'm pretty sure they went out and checked it). so all that's left would be me asking them if i can place a cache there in a similar style, correct?

thanks to everyone for all the help! :)

I can't find the GC anymore because it was archived, the owner of the cache knows that the cache is gone because of landscaping (i'm pretty sure they went out and checked it). so all that's left would be me asking them if i can place a cache there in a similar style, correct?

thanks to everyone for all the help! :)

If it has been archived as you say it has, then you don't even need to do that much. It might be appreciated, but certainly not expected. You could always say something on the cache page that gave tribute to the former cache/cacher if you wanted to.

thanks to everyone for all the help! :laughing:

If it has been archived as you say it has, then you don't even need to do that much. It might be appreciated, but certainly not expected. You could always say something on the cache page that gave tribute to the former cache/cacher if you wanted to.

Knowschad is correct. Great that you have the opportunity! Here's a link to a cache that I placed that's similar to what you're doing if you want some ideas. I placed as a tribute cache to the former cache.

GC248ZY

One amusing thing to note about my new cache. Originally I had put it in the actual place the old cache was, but one problem the old cache had was that the coords were 100ft off; so when I placed it with the correct coords it turned out to be too close to another cache... so my cache is actually now up the road a ways from where the original one was. :)

Anyhoo, best of luck placing your cache, just be sure to put it where it won't get landscaped! :laughing: