What type of cache should I list this as?

mchaos

Okay,

I am currently designing a Choose your own adventure cache. It will have a simple story line, and the coords on the cache page take you to a stage that gives you 3 choices or paths.

It will be set up like a multi. the one of the 3 choices will be a quick adventure to the cache. another will be a long adventure, and the third will be a path as where you will loose, and have to start over.

Within each choice there will be a stage in each were you may choose to change the direction and go to another route or stay on the current route.

Without explaining the entire plane and all of the details, (and spoiling the fun) that's it in a nutshell.

There is a bit more to it then that, and there will be 2 state parks in which this will take place. The first 3 choices at one, then another set of 3 choices at the other state park, which is not far apart from each other.

I have the story line all worked out. I know the stages and such. I have to go out to the part and plan the routes and stages.

Its set up in a very clever way. As well the main characters name that you would be playing is Jesse Lockhart. A name a man or a woman can have so its fun for whoever.

Now the main question I have is, even though this is set up as a multi cache where you can choose form multiple routes and choices, should I make it a mystery cache or a multi cache?

Ultimately its a multi, and even tho you can choose your adventure, it will ultimately lead you to the end, even tho there will be 2 total ways that will end with failure, but bring you back to the point where you went the wrong way to start over and choose the other way.

So, Multi-cache or Mystery cache?

I kind of want to lean toward Multi because I don't want to scare off people who don't do mystery caches.

Finding the stages will not be really hard. The will be easily found as long as you follow the coords, as well there will be clear hints where the cache stages are hid at each stage that the seeker must decode there. They will not be posted on the page where they can be auto decrypted.

Haha, still down the middle with this one haha.

I think I am going to list it as a multi, and explain to the reviewer how it works. If he publishes it, I will do it as a multi, i he tells me it should be a mystery cache, then I will do mystery. At least that's where I stand now.

I would vote Multi also. If there's something at the posted coordinates that is relative to the cache hunt, most of the time it's a Multi (but not always).

Maybe I'm too nice, but I hate seeing folks get frustrated on my caches, and would probably think of some alternative to the following:

...the third will be a path as where you will loose, and have to start over.

But it's your cache and you can do what you think is best.

Best of luck!

From Geocaching.com:

A multi-cache ("multiple") involves two or more locations, the final location being a physical container. There are many variations, but most multi-caches have a hint to find the second cache, and the second cache has hints to the third, and so on. An offset cache (where you go to a location and get hints to the actual cache) is considered a multi-cache.

Mystery or Puzzle Cache: The "catch-all" of cache types, this form of cache can involve complicated puzzles you will first need to solve to determine the coordinates. Due to the increasing creativity of geocaching this becomes the staging ground for new and unique challenges.

According to these descriptions, we would think this should be a Multi

...and I am tending toward calling it a multi, since the posted coordinates take you to an actual stage of the cache, and since there are, well, multiple stages.

I'm with pal-o-chad.

If there is something to find at the posted coords. It's a multi.

If the posted coords are bogus, it's a puzzle.

Why not list each one individually? List them as, "losing cache #1", "long path #1", "short path #1" Then # 2 and # 3.

They would each be listed as a puzzle and the starting point as a traitional. I'd do it this way to stop people from being bummed out. There is a cache series with me just like that. You go to the first stage, a traditional, inside are the coords for 6 different caches. One of them is the one you want, the other 5 are the wrong ones. You can still log the wrong ones, they are all individual caches. It's a great series, each hidden in a unique way...

Edited by Coldgears

This really sounds like fun - will it be in NJ? My kids loved the original series of "Choose Your Own Adventure" books when they came out in the late '70's and '80's - guess that is your inspiration?

I would also vote for Multicache, just because many people filter out puzzle caches, since so many are very, very time consuming. You'll have more people looking for your cache if it's called a multicache. It might be a good idea to give the approximate mileage to be covered between all the parks, just so people can plan to spend a whole day working on this one (if that's about how long it would take.)

We would definitely want to do one like this where we live, in Virginia!

Haha, still down the middle with this one haha.

I think I am going to list it as a multi, and explain to the reviewer how it works. If he publishes it, I will do it as a multi, i he tells me it should be a mystery cache, then I will do mystery. At least that's where I stand now.

I think you have it there. I would call it a multi but do as the reviewer suggests.

Can't go wrong that way.

Yeah, Ultimately there it will lead people to the cache even if they make a choice that ends up a dead end so to speak. The dead end will be close to the start point, so they can easily start over and choose a different choice. so there is no puzzle, and if the caches commit and keep going they will get to the cache.

Its one story, with 3 initial choices, each choice will have a sub choice. Then when you get to the end they must hop in the car and head a little ways away to another state park near by, where there will be another 3 choices with a sub choice in each.

Yes, the choose your own adventure books are my inspiration. I loved them. And yes it will be here in NJ.

I will give a preview of the story line. You are going to be an adventurer/transport expert. It will be in the past some time. Haven't quite decided yet. A strange object is found at an archeology dig. A scientist in charge contracts you to get the object to a research center. Obviously there will be people trying to stop you and steal the object. The ending will be a surprise ending....

Driving to another park will be part of the story line.

As for the stages. I am going to make story plaques. Basically a wooden plaque with a sheet with the story decoupaged on so its one piece and will hold up against dampness.

I am going to put clues on each at the bottom with the decode key. So it is something to do at each stage. It will be recommended on the cache page to bring a pad and writing utensil.

I am going to make each stage easy to find, but nothing a muggle will stumble across.

I am debating on using ammo boxes for the stages, which will be expensive. I may just get a bunch of the green lock and locks.