Pocket Query Issue

gbmcache

In my pocket queries that are generated every week the e-mail no longer has the attached GPX files. All that is in the e-mail is a link to the Pocket Query preview. I created a couple of new pocket queries and the results are the same. I have dutifully checked that the query output be to an e-mail address in the format GPS Exchange Format. The issue is true whether the output is to an address on a PC or a MAC.

If the Pocket Query has more than 500 caches, it will not be attached to the email.

You will need to download it from the download tab on the Pocket Query page.

That limit must be something fairly new as I used to receive an email attachment from my MyFinds PQ even though it contained over 500 waypoints. Since none of my other PQs are set to include more than 500 waypoints I just assumed that somethings changed just for the My Finds pocket query.

I see that that introductory paragraph on the Pocket Query page now contains the sentence:

"Queries that contain 500 geocaches or fewer can be delivered as an email attachment." I never noticed that and I suspect that most others that have been using PQs for awhile, never read that paragraph after first seeing that page. I wonder if some sort of mechanism which produced a temporary notification might be useful, for example:

"NOTICE: The functionality of this page has been changed. Queries that contain 500 geocaches or more will no longer be delivered via email. You must use the Pockets Queries read for download tab download the results of these queries."

That limit must be something fairly new as I used to receive an email attachment from my MyFinds PQ even though it contained over 500 waypoints. Since none of my other PQs are set to include more than 500 waypoints I just assumed that somethings changed just for the My Finds pocket query.

yes and no. the limit of number of caches per PQ was upped from 500 to 1000 at the beginning of may. PQs containing more than 500 caches were never emailed (as previously they weren't possible). other PQs still work the same as before (in addition to being able to download the files after they were emailed).

as for the "my finds" PQ, it's not a real PQ, so it works a bit different. previously, it would always be emailed. now it's never emailed. the number of caches returned doesn't apply and never did.

Edited by dfx

My weekly PQ, which is set to return a max of 200 entries, stopped running at the end of April. (This is not an email problem.) I just checked my PQ list and its usual day was not checked off any more. Has the email system been eliminated? If not, why would the query just stop running?

Also, at the end of May, I tried to create a new run-once PQ and the system simply would not mail it to me. It was actually really frustrating as I was going on a trip--no geocaching though. I tried a few different variations but never got a file. This is something I do all the time so unless the system changed I doubt I was making an error.

What's the recommended method now for doing a one-off query? I don't understand the "ready to download" tab... how is it populated?

I am reluctant to experiment because of the daily limit.

My weekly PQ, which is set to return a max of 200 entries, stopped running at the end of April. (This is not an email problem.) I just checked my PQ list and its usual day was not checked off any more. Has the email system been eliminated? If not, why would the query just stop running?

i believe there was a glitch in the system which caused a few PQs to become deselected. it's not supposed to happen and usually doesn't.

Also, at the end of May, I tried to create a new run-once PQ and the system simply would not mail it to me. It was actually really frustrating as I was going on a trip--no geocaching though. I tried a few different variations but never got a file. This is something I do all the time so unless the system changed I doubt I was making an error.

if the PQ is set to return <=500 caches, everything should work as it always has.

in case of a >500 cache PQ, the "run once and then delete" option doesn't make any sense, because when the PQ is deleted, the file you're supposed to be able to download also disappears, which means you'll never be able to get the file.

What's the recommended method now for doing a one-off query? I don't understand the "ready to download" tab... how is it populated?

either do whatever you used to do, just don't use PQs which return >500 caches. or use the "uncheck day of the week" option, and only delete the PQ manually after you've downloaded the file.

the list is populated by all PQs that you run, no matter of how many caches they return. the files are kept for up to a week, after which they disappear from the list. they also disappear when the PQ is deleted.

Edited by dfx

Thanks for the reply.

All my queries are set to a max of 200 since that's all my Garmin can take.

I did some looking in the forum and other reported PQ weirdness... Hopefully it was just a glitch and things will work as they used to next time.

What garmin takes a max of 200? Even the old ones had a 500 max.

The Oregon/CO/Dakota maxes at 200 GPX files, but you can have 2000+ caches in those files. (more on some models) A PQ is only a single GPX.

If the Pocket Query has more than 500 caches, it will not be attached to the email.

You will need to download it from the download tab on the Pocket Query page.

When I click the name of a 1000 waypoint PQ under the tab "Pocket Queries Ready for Download", the File Download dialog box does not pop up, the PQ disappears!

The option "Run this query once then delete it" is NOT checked.

P.S. It works fine for a PQ <500 waypoints.

Please help!

Edited by rodgowdy
Should I start a new topic to get my question answered?
What's the name of the PQ? (I have had this when I had a colon in the name. I suspect "special" characters cause this.)

THAT DID IT! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I was using a special character, the "/".

When I click the name of a 1000 waypoint PQ under the tab "Pocket Queries Ready for Download", the File Download dialog box does not pop up, the PQ disappears!

I have the same problem here. Some PQ's (1000) with a special character in it's name do work, others don't.

It seems to be a bug?

Does any one has the same experience?

We know it fails with : and / It works with ( or )

I think some one has reported variable results for -

(I left the period off the end of sentence above to try not to confuse.)

It is, of course, a bug. We don't know if TPTB have noticed this or if they think it is important to fix.

I went through all my PQs with : (even though they are e-mailed) and changed them to meet the current requirements for downloads to work.

We know it fails with : and / It works with ( or )

I think some one has reported variable results for -

(I left the period off the end of sentence above to try not to confuse.)

It is, of course, a bug. We don't know if TPTB have noticed this or if they think it is important to fix.

We're definitely watching and investigating ourselves, as we really, really want to squash this bug. Unfortunately, the repro is not consistent. Nate and I just ran through a number of tests using : and / in the PQ name, both <500 and >500, and in every case the PQ generated correctly, downloaded correctly, and remained on the download tab.

If you come up with additional details to help track down this issue, we'll definitely take action!

If you come up with additional details to help track down this issue, we'll definitely take action!

I'd love to experiment...but I lose a download every time it fails. :)

The only times I lose a download is when I have a special character...so I'll just stay away from them and hope someone else can find the bug.

(I guess I could offer to let you sign onto my other account and try to download a PQ I changed back to have a : in the name....but I don't know if you are THAT interested in pursuing this.)

Edited by beejay&esskay
(I guess I could offer to let you sign onto my other account and try to download a PQ I changed back to have a : in the name....but I don't know if you are THAT interested in pursuing this.)

I am. If you can rename a PQ that has given you trouble back to a name containing a colon and get the download to fail again, please let me know here. I can then spoof your login and see if I get the same issue on this side. Then I would ask that you leave that particular PQ alone while we investigate what is going on with it.

In the meantime, I can reset your PQs - just let me know which ones to target.

Thanks!

We're definitely watching and investigating ourselves, as we really, really want to squash this bug. Unfortunately, the repro is not consistent. Nate and I just ran through a number of tests using : and / in the PQ name, both <500 and >500, and in every case the PQ generated correctly, downloaded correctly, and remained on the download tab.

it's probably browser dependent, at least as far as downloading them is concerned. the RFC says that it's up to the browser to filter out invalid characters (as this is OS dependent), but it's likely that not all browsers do that correctly.

I am. If you can rename a PQ that has given you trouble back to a name containing a colon and get the download to fail again, please let me know here. I can then spoof your login and see if I get the same issue on this side. Then I would ask that you leave that particular PQ alone while we investigate what is going on with it.

In the meantime, I can reset your PQs - just let me know which ones to target.

Thanks!

database_lightning.png (1000) 100 mile: 29

I just ran this (output less than 500) and got the download failure. Firefox 3.6.3.

I did this under a different account. I'd rather send that account ID to you directly and not post here.

(Every one of my : PQs failed to download in that account several days ago.)

Edited by beejay&esskay

Under my beejay&esskay account, I just ran PQ

Nearby updated last : 7 days

Resulted in 68 caches. The download failed. (I have 100% failure rate on downloading PQs with a colon in the name.)

Feel free to reset and rerun and try the download. (The extra e-mails of PQs for any testing won't bother me.)

I have two the same PQ's.

The first one is called NPQ 02-01-2010 tm 26-04-2010

The second one is called NPQ 02-01-2010 t/m 26-04-2010 nieuw

The first one can be downloaded, the second one disappears by clicking on it.

The / seems to be my problem.

Thank you, guys! With the ability to have a 100% repro we now know how to tackle this. (Previously, most people reporting the issue would delete the problematic PQs, so it was hard for us to obtain failing examples.) The reason that the bug appeared to be inconsistent (and now appears obvious in hindsight) is that the issue only appears if you have a special character in the PQ name *and* you have "Include Pocket Query name in download file name" checked. The workaround for now is to remove special characters or uncheck that checkbox. In the meantime we are getting to work on the proper fix.

This issue was hotfixed just a few minutes ago, so you should be able to now successfully download PQs containing special characters and not have the link disappear on you. The special characters (and spaces) will be stripped from the file name as you might expect.

Please let me know if you encounter any further issues. I'd also be happy to reset anyone's PQs that encountered this problem previously.

Thanks for all of your help!