Buying first "real GPS"

I have been caching with my Droid for a few months. I really do like some of the things that it can do. Access logs, descriptions, etc.

I am looking to purchase a GPS of some sort. I would really like to have paperless. I want to be able to access the descriptions, view a close cache. I can do all these things with my phone and use the combo of the two. Only problem is service on the phone. It is often spotty at times.

According to Garmin the Colorado, Dakota, and Oregon all have this capability.

I also have looked at the eTrex Vista HCx and it looks like a solid unit. Don't know if does all the things that I am looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to buy a unit and not be happy with it and end up using my phone or buying different unit.

Thanks in Advance:

Smitty

Or the 78 and 62 series and the Nuvi 5xx series.

Also any of the Delorme models.

The Magellan Explorist GC.

Lowrance Endura series.

Lots of choices. How much do you want to spend?

The Garmin Colorado, Oregon, Dakota and Nuvi 500 lines will all do what you want.

However the Colorado line has been discontinued - you stand to get a good bargain on a unit but it is obsolete.

Very soon Garmin will also come out with the 62CSx which will be fully paperless.

The eTrex line is not paperless out of the box.

Other units you may want to condiser include the Explorist GC, Lowrence Endura line, Delorme PN series.

Overall, i consider the Oregon series to be the best of the above with a second to the Endura units.

I have been caching with my Droid for a few months. I really do like some of the things that it can do. Access logs, descriptions, etc.

I am looking to purchase a GPS of some sort. I would really like to have paperless. I want to be able to access the descriptions, view a close cache. I can do all these things with my phone and use the combo of the two. Only problem is service on the phone. It is often spotty at times.

I also have looked at the eTrex Vista HCx and it looks like a solid unit. Don't know if does all the things that I am looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to buy a unit and not be happy with it and end up using my phone or buying different unit.

Thanks in Advance:

I have an Oregon 450 which I really like. It is easy to use, I love the touch screen, and it is very geocaching friendly (easy to download multiple caches and easy to upload field notes). With the new software beta upgrade the problem with WAAS seems to have been solved. The only drawback is the screen is not quite as bright as I would like, but certainly not a deal killer. If you are interested in paperless geocaching and a touch screen I would highly recommend the Oregon 450.

OldA'sFan

Smitty

My suggestion is to go for the best bang for the buck. The various manufactures are constantly coming out with new models all the time,especially so in the last year. What was new and exciting is old and possibly out of date within a year. Save yourself some money and update every few years with units that have fallen out of fashion,yet still meet your needs.

My suggestion is to go for the best bang for the buck. The various manufactures are constantly coming out with new models all the time,especially so in the last year. What was new and exciting is old and possibly out of date within a year. Save yourself some money and update every few years with units that have fallen out of fashion,yet still meet your needs.

I know exactly what you are saying. I have a buddy who is a HUGE fan of the Garmin 60csx.

Thanks for all the feedback. Please keep it coming. I want to make a purchase that I will be happy with for a couple of years for sure.

I know exactly what you are saying. I have a buddy who is a HUGE fan of the Garmin 60csx.

Thanks for all the feedback. Please keep it coming. I want to make a purchase that I will be happy with for a couple of years for sure.

Many geocachers are huge fans of the 60CSX. It is a great unit. The updated version, the 62CSX will be out shortly. I played around abit with a Map 62 the other day and was pretty impressed. Granted I didn't use it for geocaching, but the feature set looked pretty nice.

Here's the transcript, verbatim from Garmin.com <snip contents since the post is just prior to this one>

Your email correspondence just shows that Garmin was trying to work with you and you pulled the plug prematurely. They were even nice to agree to refund your money for the DVD as long as you show you returned your unit.

I'm not seeing how GARMIN SUX here.

*** If you're gonna spam this everywhere, then I'm just going to cut and paste my response.