Can somone tell me what I have done wrong?

dreamadeidre

Hi,

This is my first cache and I must be doing something wrong when I put the information in. Could somone look over this and tell me what I am doing wrong? It is a 3 part cache in coffee can sized containers. the coordinates are N 36.95994 w 84.27134. Thank you in advance.

Dreama Heckert

dreama_deidre@yahoo.com :):D

Traditional Cache Multi-Stage Cache (Multicache)

Regular (Rubbermaid, ammo box)

Cache Name: Dad

Cache Placed By: dreamadeidre

The cache is still owned by one account, but you can list whoever placed the cache.

Yes, this listing is active (For new listings, if you want to work on this listing before it is reviewed, uncheck this box. Reviewers will only see the listing in the queue when it is checked.)

Date Placed (06/08/2010)

Related Web Page:

Background Image URL:

Optional field. This will change the background image on the web page to the location you define.

Coordinates

Degrees, minutes, seconds (DMS)Degrees and minutes (MinDec)Decimal Degrees (DegDec)

N S Traditional Cache Multi-Stage Cache (Multicache) Mystery/Puzzle Cache Letterbox (Hybrid) Wherigo Cache Geocaching Event (Event Cache) Cache In Trash Out Event Earthcache

Cache Size: Not Listed Micro (e.g. 35mm Film Canister) Small (holds logbook and small items) Regular (Rubbermaid, ammo box) Large (5 gallon bucket) Other (See description)

Cache Name:

Cache Placed By:

The cache is still owned by one account, but you can list whoever placed the cache.

Yes, this listing is active (For new listings, if you want to work on this listing before it is reviewed, uncheck this box. Reviewers will only see the listing in the queue when it is checked.)

Date Placed (mm/dd/yyyy)

Related Web Page:

Background Image URL:

Optional field. This will change the background image on the web page to the location you define.

Coordinates

Degrees, minutes, seconds (DMS)Degrees and minutes (MinDec)Decimal Degrees (DegDec)

N 36. 36.95994

w 84. 84.27134<<<<this number keeps going back to 00.000000

{{{{{{{{{I have trouble getting these in am I putting them in wrong?}}}}}}}}}}

(1 is easiest, 5 is hardest. Try this system to rate your cache.)

Overall Terrain Rating: 1.5

(1 is easiest, 5 is hardest. Try this system to rate your cache.)

{{{{{{{{{

I have trouble getting these in am I putting them in wrong?}}}}}}}}}}

The descriptions below are in HTML

Short Description: Donavon and I placed a geocache at Laurel Lake,To celebrate Chris'Donavons Dads life. The GPS coordinates are N 36.95994 w 84.27134 Chris often played "jailbreak" with his children and anyone else that would play.He really liked the spillway at Laurel Lake.

Location information, terrain and general difficulty levels, altitude, etc. Please limit your text to 500 characters.

Long Description: There are 3 containers.1 red , 1 white, 1 blue , this was accidental.The first gives you directions and coordinates to the next and then the second to the third.There is plenty of parking and it isnt hard to get to the first 2 the third you have to go through some woods and brush but nothing extreme.

Details about the cache, including contents of the cache, what the container looks like, etc. You can be as brief or as detailed as you like.

Hints/Spoiler Info: Take the trail start at the gazebo at the end of the trail go a few hundred yards when you go around a bend and start an upward incline on the right 4 small dead trees in a bunch with a tree lying on the ground and a pile of rocks the cach is a red can in the rocks.You will find directions to the next one there. I think he would like to know we were still playing hide and seek.

Enter any hints or spoiler information above. This information will be encrypted on the site until a geocacher clicks on a link to unencrypt it, or decodes on the trail. Text within brackets [like this] will not be encrypted. Please keep your hints short, so decoding it on the trail is easier. If you don't have a hint, leave it blank.

Note to Reviewer: This is the first cache we have put out any information on right and wrong would be appreciated.

dreama_deidre@yahoo.com

w 84. 84.27134<<<<this number keeps going back to 00.00000

this is because those coordinates are in decimal degrees format and not in degrees+minutes format.

above the entry box is a dropdown menu where you can switch the format to decimal degrees, then you can enter your coords, but as one number, like this: 84.27134

however, it would be advisable to convert them to degrees+minutes if you also want to put them inside the cache description, as this is the format that's used pretty much everywhere on gc.com and it's going to confuse people if you use a different format. or you can just leave them out of the description, as the cache header will tell people the coords anyway (and they will be correctly converted automatically if you use the dropdown menu right).

Since dfx explained the problem with decimal degrees, I just have a few gratuitous comments that may or may not apply.

I noticed in your profile that you have not found a cache. Perhaps you have been caching under a different name or not logging your finds online. While experience is not required, it can be important. The more experience you have, the more you can learn about what makes a good cache hide and whether your container will hold up to the elements. I am still learning over six years later. It might be good to ask a local cacher to "beta test" it for you just to make sure that everything is working fine before it is published. Or, if you have not done so, go back yourself and run through it as if you were finding it for the first time.

It is also very important to make sure your coordinates are accurate, particularly in a multistage where people are asked to find three different locations. I do not know what you used to get the decimal coordinates, but since this is your first cache, be sure that you gave your unit time to settle down. It helps to take multiple readings and see how they work in getting you to the location. I mention this specifically because I have seen some people obtain decimal degrees through iphones, which require much greater care in placing a cache. That, of course, may not apply to you at all.

You also might consider providing more information on the cache page about what it means to you. It appears the cache is a special tribute to a special person. Adding a bit more about Chris and the area might help people appreciate it. I wanted to know more just by reading your post.

You may have already done so, but uploading a photo of Chris to the web page might help others to know him, even just a bit. Your comment in the hint, "I think he would like to know that we are still playing hide and seek" it is a touching thing to say, but people might miss it if they do not look at the hint. And decrypting a long hint in the field might give people pause if they are not "paperless."

Again, the cache placement might be great. I placed a cache soon after joining the site that is still going and in a very good location. Your coordinates might be spot on, and you might be saying all that you want to say about Chris or the area. So take this for what it is worth. As a forum post, it probably is not worth much. Chris seems like he was a great person, and placing a tribute cache with his son is a thoughtful way of celebrating his life.

Edited by mulvaney

It a very long Hint.

Hints/Spoiler Info: Take the trail start at the gazebo at the end of the trail go a few hundred yards when you go around a bend and start an upward incline on the right 4 small dead trees in a bunch with a tree lying on the ground and a pile of rocks the cache is a red can in the rocks.You will find directions to the next one there. I think he would like to know we were still playing hide and seek.

On your webpage it will look like this

Hints/Spoiler Vasb: Gnxr gur genvy fgneg ng gur tnmrob ng gur raq bs gur genvy tb n srj uhaqerq lneqf jura lbh tb nebhaq n oraq naq fgneg na hcjneq vapyvar ba gur evtug 4 fznyy qrnq gerrf va n ohapu jvgu n gerr ylvat ba gur tebhaq naq n cvyr bs ebpxf gur pnpur vf n erq pna va gur ebpxf.Lbh jvyy svaq qverpgvbaf gb gur arkg bar gurer. V guvax ur jbhyq yvxr gb xabj jr jrer fgvyy cynlvat uvqr naq frrx.

Try Decrypting it.

One letter at a time..

I'd be well cheesed off!

Hints should be short and sweet. :)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

It a very long Hint.

Hints/Spoiler Info: Take the trail start at the gazebo at the end of the trail go a few hundred yards when you go around a bend and start an upward incline on the right 4 small dead trees in a bunch with a tree lying on the ground and a pile of rocks the cache is a red can in the rocks.You will find directions to the next one there. I think he would like to know we were still playing hide and seek.

On your webpage it will look like this

Hints/Spoiler Vasb: Gnxr gur genvy fgneg ng gur tnmrob ng gur raq bs gur genvy tb n srj uhaqerq lneqf jura lbh tb nebhaq n oraq naq fgneg na hcjneq vapyvar ba gur evtug 4 fznyy qrnq gerrf va n ohapu jvgu n gerr ylvat ba gur tebhaq naq n cvyr bs ebpxf gur pnpur vf n erq pna va gur ebpxf.Lbh jvyy svaq qverpgvbaf gb gur arkg bar gurer. V guvax ur jbhyq yvxr gb xabj jr jrer fgvyy cynlvat uvqr naq frrx.

Try Decrypting it.

One letter at a time..

I'd be well cheesed off!

Hints should be short and sweet. :)

Also a hint /spoiler is something that people generally use after they can't find the cache, meaning that they are already at the cache site. So telling people where to start and how to get there is pretty pointless.

Thanks everyone for your help. I am now going to try to find a local person who has done many caches and go from there. I have been writing down all the conversions as I dont know how to use my gps well.Thanks again and if anyone leaves in or near the somerset ky area and wouldn't care to show me the ropes my email is dreama_deidre@yahoo.com

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your help. I am now going to try to find a local person who has done many caches and go from there. I have been writing down all the conversions as I dont know how to use my gps well.Thanks again and if anyone leaves in or near the somerset ky area and wouldn't care to show me the ropes my email is dreama_deidre@yahoo.com

Thanks

Just about all gps units allow you to select the display format for the coordinates. Find out how to do that and switch your unit to HDD MM.mmm and you will have less work to do on conversions.

Being from the area I see a couple possible problems here and I am sure the reviewer will alert you to them.

1. This cache will be in the Daniel Boone National Forest which is not impossible but has some rules to publish including written documentation from the district manager.

2. There is a 5/5 multi that has a final stage in this area and your stages may be too close to this existing cache. The old 0.1 mile distance rule.

Thanks

While I'm not a big proponent of the "find 100 caches before you hide" rule, I do think that you need to have SOME experience finding caches before placing one. Please please do that first. It will save you a lot of headache in the future :blink:

Thanks

While I'm not a big proponent of the "find 100 caches before you hide" rule, I do think that you need to have SOME experience finding caches before placing one. Please please do that first. It will save you a lot of headache in the future :laughing:

OH i didnt know about the 100 finds thing opps! But i found a seed cache hidden in one i found and i had 30 days to hide it....

Since dfx explained the problem with decimal degrees, I just have a few gratuitous comments that may or may not apply.

I noticed in your profile that you have not found a cache. Perhaps you have been caching under a different name or not logging your finds online. While experience is not required, it can be important. The more experience you have, the more you can learn about what makes a good cache hide and whether your container will hold up to the elements. I am still learning over six years later. It might be good to ask a local cacher to "beta test" it for you just to make sure that everything is working fine before it is published. Or, if you have not done so, go back yourself and run through it as if you were finding it for the first time.

It is also very important to make sure your coordinates are accurate, particularly in a multistage where people are asked to find three different locations. I do not know what you used to get the decimal coordinates, but since this is your first cache, be sure that you gave your unit time to settle down. It helps to take multiple readings and see how they work in getting you to the location. I mention this specifically because I have seen some people obtain decimal degrees through iphones, which require much greater care in placing a cache. That, of course, may not apply to you at all.

You also might consider providing more information on the cache page about what it means to you. It appears the cache is a special tribute to a special person. Adding a bit more about Chris and the area might help people appreciate it. I wanted to know more just by reading your post.

You may have already done so, but uploading a photo of Chris to the web page might help others to know him, even just a bit. Your comment in the hint, "I think he would like to know that we are still playing hide and seek" it is a touching thing to say, but people might miss it if they do not look at the hint. And decrypting a long hint in the field might give people pause if they are not "paperless."

Again, the cache placement might be great. I placed a cache soon after joining the site that is still going and in a very good location. Your coordinates might be spot on, and you might be saying all that you want to say about Chris or the area. So take this for what it is worth. As a forum post, it probably is not worth much. Chris seems like he was a great person, and placing a tribute cache with his son is a thoughtful way of celebrating his life.

your awsome!

Hi and welcome to geocaching and the forums dreamadeidre. Just a heads up - you may want to remove your email address from your posts....to prevent any of those "I will put money in your bank account if you send me the details" scams. It won't come from the genuine members here, I just want want to keep you safe. We can contact you through your profile here.

While I'm not a big proponent of the "find 100 caches before you hide" rule, I do think that you need to have SOME experience finding caches before placing one. Please please do that first. It will save you a lot of headache in the future :D

OH i didnt know about the 100 finds thing opps! But i found a seed cache hidden in one i found and i had 30 days to hide it....

There's actually no "100 first find thing" or any sort of set amount of caches that you need to have found before you can hide your own. But most cachers believe people should find a certain amount of caches before they hide their own. Not only have you never found a single cache, but since you wrote a whole paragraph in the hint field I'm assuming you've never looked at a cache page either. I don't think anyone except the hider themselves can accurately gauge whether someone is experienced enough to hide their own cache. But you really ought to find at least... well... one cache before hiding your own.

The best thing for you to do now is to put this whole hide on hold and learn a lot more about Geocaching. Look around Geocaching.com, read through the forums, and-- most importantly-- find some caches. Then you can come back and finish your hide.

... but since you wrote a whole paragraph in the hint field I'm assuming you've never looked at a cache page either.

funny enough, a lot of the very old caches have quite elaborate "hints". somewhat archaic for modern caches listings though :D

While I'm not a big proponent of the "find 100 caches before you hide" rule, I do think that you need to have SOME experience finding caches before placing one. Please please do that first. It will save you a lot of headache in the future :D

There's actually no "100 first find thing" or any sort of set amount of caches that you need to have found before you can hide your own. But most cachers believe people should find a certain amount of caches before they hide their own. Not only have you never found a single cache, but since you wrote a whole paragraph in the hint field I'm assuming you've never looked at a cache page either. I don't think anyone except the hider themselves can accurately gauge whether someone is experienced enough to hide their own cache. But you really ought to find at least... well... one cache before hiding your own.

The best thing for you to do now is to put this whole hide on hold and learn a lot more about Geocaching. Look around Geocaching.com, read through the forums, and-- most importantly-- find some caches. Then you can come back and finish your hide.

It sounds like they did find one cache to get the seed cache. My friend found a seed cache and thought it would be oh so excellent to place it right away somewhere. I confiscated that seed cache and said when he gets more familiar with the website, getting permission, how to figure out coordinates, what is and is not appropriate for caches etc. I would consider giving him his seed cache back. His stated he had 30 days to rehide it at as. Too bad. I'm not going to allow him to go out and throw some little container in a bush because he needs to get it off his hands knowing full well he has no concept of maintenance and all those issues either.

Instead I'm trying to drag him through the permission seeking process of a cache I want to hide. And I probably won't ever hide more than 1 because I don't have time to maintain a bunch of these things. He's all ready to sprinkle the world with them all willy nilly.

End of story. Back away from the seed cache until you get a better feel in general for the game.

Thanks

oh no, it's not an actual rule, it's something that some cachers think people should have to do. I think it all depends on the person really... so no worries you're fine ;)

I confiscated that seed cache...

Confiscated? Whoa. :)

From my friend not from the cache in general. When he got his hot little hands on that and was all ready to throw it out into the world with no idea bout saturation guidelines, permission, maintenance or any of that stuff... I wasn't going to let him put that thing out. He has no clue what he's doing when hiding caches at this point. So when he learns a little about what he's doing he can have his seed cache back to place somewhere appropriate.

I wish that seed cache hadn't been in the normal cache that day honestly.