We're still alive!

I was showing off my new Oregon 450t to a friend of mine, and showed him the Geocaching feature, explaining what geocaching was . . . he replied that it sounded more like "death caching" or something equally inane. He said it sounded like a good way to get shot while rummaging around in someone's yard, etc. :laughing:

So 38 finds later and we're all still alive, and haven't had anything even remotely scary happen to us as of yet. Of course we're still supern00bs at this so far, but I have to ask - has anyone been shot or attacked or hurt in any way . . . or killed while geocaching :(

Those of you that have actually been killed get a bye from answering this inquiry. (and my apologies to anyone I just offended)

(please feel free to admonish me with the fact that this topic has probably been addressed ad nauseam)

A few cachers have died while geocaching. Several in backcountry type accidents, several of heart attacks, several of car accidents of one kind or another.

Still - it remains as safe as an activity as any that involves making grand use of the great outdoors.

I tend to avoid any cache that would have me rummaging around somebody's yard in full view of neighboring homes.

So 38 finds later and we're all still alive, and haven't had anything even remotely scary happen to us as of yet. Of course we're still supern00bs at this so far, but I have to ask - has anyone been shot or attacked or hurt in any way . . . or killed while geocaching :laughing:

So far, all my minor injuries have been self inflicted.

I don't know if anyone has been shot at. There certainly has been enough angry confrontations, arrested by law enforcement, detained by security, one fairly recent thread was about someone accosted by a renter while going for a cache and getting into a scuffle. Last year a geocacher slipped and fell to his death while geocaching.

Ok, there is the ever present possibility of accidents - I could easily fall victim to something like that.

Interesting to hear about the interactions between those who geocache and those who don't. I can see where some misunderstanding could possibly lead to a violent confrontation. I just didn't figure it was all that dangerous what with the large number of cachers with 1000s of finds and no one's been killed on purpose as of yet - sounds pretty safe to me.

I was attacked by several dogs. The cache placer accidentally posted his home coordinates and I went there, saw the travel bug decal on his car, and started looking around. His dogs came running out and took a bite at me, lots of blood and a trip to the ER later, I was still the FTF after I found out the correct coordinates :P

You're going to be outside, and that increases your chances of being killed, but you still increase your longevity unless you only do p&gs... Geocaching is no more dangerous than hiking on rocky trails...

Not too sure about that, most of the statistics I've seen say you are more likely to be injured or killed in your own home than outside of it. :P

All caches should not be placed on private property without permission. If you have to go in some ones back yard, and its not specified on the page, I wouldn't go for it.

You can also tell by logs. If lots of people found it, its probably okay to find.

One of the most important things is use common sense. Don't cache during hunting season without blaze orange, don't attempt a hide beyond your abilities, don't cache on private property unless OKed by owner and always be aware of your surroundings. Geocaching is a fairly safe sport in my mind except for the thorns, bug bites and poison ivy.

Your friend reminds me of a guy I used to work with. We were chatting about something (I forget what) and I offhandedly mentioned something about geocaching. He asked, I explained, and his comment was "Well. Sounds like it's all fun and games until someone decides to hide a Claymore or something."

Could happen, I suppose. :P

I'll just go ahead and lock myself in the basement so nothing bad can happen. Ever. :P

I have done an extensive study.

The results of that study indicate that geocachers, for reasons as yet unknown by me are subject to death for many of the same reasons as mere mortals.

I also learned during this study that of the population of geocachers that have died, not one was shot.

It is also medically and physically possible that geocachers could be shot at and that the path of the bullet would not pass through any part of their body. To my knowledge, there are no recorded instances of this having occurred.

A geocacher could also be shot at and the bullet could in fact strike a part of his body. This may or may not result in the death of the geocacher involved. To my knowledge, there are no recorded instances of this having occurred.

Therefore, until proven otherwise, geocachers can die. None have died as a direct result of being shot while involved in the game of geocaching.

In some respects, geocachers are just like mere mortals.