I just don't get these "free" Map Sites..

A few of you listed sites where I could D/L Maps instead of paying Greedy Garmin an arm, leg, and my first born, for a map I could only install on one GPSr. I've tried GPSfiledepot, Openstreetmap, and Worldwide routable Garmin maps. I have had little luck with any of these sites. I have D/Led many regular, and zipped, files but none end up in a format that Mapsource recognizes or that I can drag to my GPS. What am I missing??

A few of you listed sites where I could D/L Maps instead of paying Greedy Garmin an arm, leg, and my first born, for a map I could only install on one GPSr. I've tried GPSfiledepot, Openstreetmap, and Worldwide routable Garmin maps. I have had little luck with any of these sites. I have D/Led many regular, and zipped, files but none end up in a format that Mapsource recognizes or that I can drag to my GPS. What am I missing??

First, are you using a PC or MAC? I only know how to do it with a PC and here is how I do it.

Ok, you have downloaded the file. Have you run the MapSetToolkit, added a link to tutorial for it. Once you have run that, you should be able to use Mapsource, link added for tutorial.

After doing this, everything should work out fine.

First, are you using a PC or MAC? I only know how to do it with a PC and here is how I do it.

Ok, you have downloaded the file. Have you run the MapSetToolkit, added a link to tutorial for it. Once you have run that, you should be able to use Mapsource, link added for tutorial.

That was very, very helpful. Thanks!

Is there any other 'essential' software for using Mapsource?

Edited by takcache

So with this process, could we get satellite view type images to function as maps? Like with google maps, satellite views? I like that feature on my iphone, so I'm usually double fisting it plus a garmin until I get really close. Unfortunately, since I live in a rural area now, I can't zoom the google map nearly as far as I could when I lived in Pittsburgh.

I've loaded better topo maps to my garmin already, but they weren't .img files.

You need to be more specific. Besides computer platform, which model of GPSr (which specific mapsets would also help)? Most mapsets hosted on gpsfiledepot are self instaling (to MapSource and BaseCamp or to MAC software). Also see the tutorial on gpsfiledepot (http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/).

Basically your missing that the mapsets need to be installed to MapSource before MapSource can use them.

There are exceptions; however you need to be more specific.

Edited by snowfleurys

Now I'm getting a better grasp. Great info, thank you!! BTW, I am running Mapsource on a PC and my GPSr's are a Garmin GPSMap 276c and a Garmin Oregon 450. Still haven't found a streets and cities map though.

Edited by billinan

Most of the http://gpsfiledepot.com maps will extract to MapSource. They should show up in the drop down map select list once you extract them.

This...he must be doing it wrong. I have excellent maps of Arizona and Florida from gpsfiledepot.com.

I actually found a great Florida Topo map and a map of the Southeast United States from gpsfiledepot.com after I posted this. I D/Led them, closed Map Source, reopened map Source, and there they were. I think the glitch might have been patience....Not one of my stronger suits. LOL! :laughing:

Anyway, like I said I am getting the hang of this thanks to everyone here. I truly appreciate your patience with me. Speaking of patience, does anyone know how long it takes to receive the e-mail that your requested maps are ready from http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php ? I put in my request for Florida last evening around 9PM and I still haven't received a response. And yes I have checked my Junk e-mail folder as well.

Thanks again for all the good advice!! :(

Edited by billinan

I actually found a great Florida Topo map and a map of the Southeast United States from gpsfiledepot.com after I posted this. I D/Led them, closed Map Source, reopened map Source, and there they were. I think the glitch might have been patience....Not one of my stronger suits. LOL! :laughing:

Anyway, like I said I am getting the hang of this thanks to everyone here. I truly appreciate your patience with me. Speaking of patience, does anyone know how long it takes to receive the e-mail that your requested maps are ready from http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php ? I put in my request for Florida last evening around 9PM and I still haven't received a response. And yes I have checked my Junk e-mail folder as well.

Thanks again for all the good advice!! :(

It took about 20 hours for me, but I didn't check my junk mail folder and only just saved them before the 2-day limit.

... does anyone know how long it takes to receive the e-mail that your requested maps are ready from http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php[/url] ?

Depends on how many requests are pending and their size. Did you see this information when you sent the request? I have experienced a few hours with none pending to 1 1/2 days when nearly 100 were before mine.

I think he also does a new build with the latest info on Friday, so the system may be on hold and also a lot of users seem to want the latest info each week.

... does anyone know how long it takes to receive the e-mail that your requested maps are ready from http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php[/url] ?

Depends on how many requests are pending and their size. Did you see this information when you sent the request? I have experienced a few hours with none pending to 1 1/2 days when nearly 100 were before mine.

I think he also does a new build with the latest info on Friday, so the system may be on hold and also a lot of users seem to want the latest info each week.

There were 96 ahead of me. :P

Red, that second link to a complete U.S. map was exactly what I've been looking for THANKS BROTHER!!! Now, I wonder how much memory I'd need to put the entire U.S. streets and highway system on my Oregon 450???

:P

Well crap! I D/Led and attempted to use Mapsource to install the entire U.S. highway system (http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/19/) on my 4 G SD Card on my Oregon. For some reason it erased my SE USA and Florida Topomaps, which have sidestreets and minor roads, that I previously installed via Mapsource as well. Back to the drawing board! Why do I have a feeling I'm gonna end up breaking down and buying City Navigator? :P

Edited by billinan

Why do I have a feeling I'm gonna end up breaking down and buying City Navigator? :P

This could be a good answer:

patience....Not one of my stronger suits. LOL! :P

LOL, I know, I know but admitting it is the first part of solving the problem right? Anyway, why would the D/L have erased everything else? Is there an order to map installation? I noticed that the Topos were more detailed then the one of the entire U.S. Or was it because I tried to D/L the entire U.S. and Hawaii to my GPSr at the same time? I know it erased the other maps because I right-clicked and checked the available space on the SD Card before and after I added the U.S. Map with Mapsource. There was much more room on the card after my failed installation. There has to be a comporable alternative to CN that doesn't wipe the Topo-maps and other maps away.

Generally on the Garmins you have to load all the maps at one.When you install a new set of maps they overwrite the old map info.So now that you have the new maps you need to load them all at once to the gps.This would be the same way you had to do it even if you had City Naviagtor.

CrazyOn2Wheels

When you install a new set of maps they overwrite the old map info.

The BEST way to manage maps on the GPS itself is to load them all one-by-one on a large SD card. I use an 8 gig microSD card in my 60CSx. After each map is loaded, rename it so the next map loaded doesn't overwrite it. The default map is always called "gmapsupp.img". It takes a LOOOOOONG time to build/load maps in Mapsource, but only a few SECONDS to rename a file. My SD card has several topo maps on it AND all of City Navigator with almost 2 gigs to spare. I usually keep the western third of the Garmin US TOPO 2008 map (from DVD) as my active map. If I want another one, I just hook it up via USB and go to the SD card directory, change the name of the current "gmapsupp.img" file to "whatever.img" and then rename the map I want to "gmapsupp.img". Now, it automatically loads and becomes the active map on the next start-up. It's very quick and better than waiting for Mapsource to build them all over again. Even dragging and dropping a previously built map from the computer directly onto the SD card in the GPS is SLOW.

I understand the new Oregons let you pick from a list of ANY .img file right on the unit itself. This is quite nice as you don't need a computer (or smart phone) to rename files in the field.

Edited by sviking

Generally on the Garmins you have to load all the maps at one.When you install a new set of maps they overwrite the old map info.So now that you have the new maps you need to load them all at once to the gps.This would be the same way you had to do it even if you had City Naviagtor.

CrazyOn2Wheels

Oregons had a firmware update that allowed them to read any IMG file, not just the 3-4 "fixed names" they did before.

Thus you can put one map set into each IMG file and the Oregon can load them all. Mapsource will only write to gmapsupp.img, but once this is written you can rename it.

Dakotas always had this capability.

Not sure about Colorados.

@billinan

Mapsource makes the maps called gmapsupp.img

Once these maps are on an Oregon you can rename this to myname.img

If you don't do this, the next map sent to the gps by Mapsource is called gmapsupp.img again and overwriting the old one.

Edited by splashy