New Bug Repellent

Hi Everyone, I have a question regarding an ad I saw in a magazine. Here's what it said:

Buzz Away Extreme

repels mosquitoes, black flies, gnats and TICKS.

DEET-FREE, all natural and works up to 4 hours.

Family friendly, in spray and towelettes for easy application

America's favorite antural Repellent

(made by Quantum Health)

So, has anyone heard of this? Tried it? Does it really work? Thanks! ;)

DEET attacks plastics. Just be careful with your equipment if you use DEET.

I find picaridin to be a much gentler alternative. It's effective against mosquitoes. I haven't tried them against ticks.

I don't know how effective is Buzz Away Extreme - but I don't have very good experience with "natural products" for repelling insects.

Edited by Chrysalides

You saw this in a paid advertisement? Jeepers, I cannot believe it, and in a magazine too boot!

EDIT: Sorry, I had to say that. In truth if it is so great, why is it stuck inside of a magazine? I think the only natural thing that mosquitoes don't like are temps less than 20°F.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

If it has DEET or Picidarin in it then it's probably fine.

I noticed one of their claims was that ""Buzz away is the most effective natural repellent tested" Tested against Avon's Skin So Soft, Bite Block and others."

A great claim but tests of Skin So Soft show that id doesn't work, so being more effective than Skin So Soft means little. Can't find references to Bite Block on the web.

You saw this in a paid advertisement? Jeepers, I cannot believe it, and in a magazine too boot!

EDIT: Sorry, I had to say that. In truth if it is so great, why is it stuck inside of a magazine? I think the only natural thing that mosquitoes don't like are temps less than 20°F.

So, your point being that anything being advertised in a magazine is automatically worthless junk?

Someone I know swears by a natural remedy to his mosquito problem. He kept a few toads in his back porch. Swore he's never been bitten by mosquitoes when he's sitting outside. I'm rather skeptical, to put it mildly.

I'll back up Briansnat that 'Skin So Soft' is marginally worse than spraying yourself with water.

We had it in our pack on our last trek and concluded that we were spraying ourselves with whatever blackflies might consider butter.

Never heard of the product mentioned... but as it's tick season, I'll stick with DEET.

However, I encourage you to try it and post the results... it'll save us the research! ;)

supposedly University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada conducted a research on it, Quantum Health makes the claim and everyone else is using the same article, however i can't find any official research papers on the University's site

http://www.quantumhealth.com/news/buzz_awa...evaluation.html

at this point i am a little skeptical about this product and the claims of its effectiveness

the research suggests anyway that its as effective as a low DEET concentration product, which in my books is not too effective

Permethrin my friends.. permethrin impregnated clothing. I swear by it. I buy the Army issue stuff (50%) not the Sawyers (0.4%). The US Army stuff is supposed to last the lifetime of the article of clothing not 6 washings like the Sawyers. I haven't seen a tick, chigger, or mosquito on or near me this year so far.

I don't know who paid for this study, or what other bias it may have, but this site has some interesting "facts" for those that are interested:

http://www.quantumhealth.com/news/buzz_awa...DA_testing.html

edit: HTML tables don't play well here

With a whopping sample group of 5, or maybe 3 I have to wonder just how solid any data coming out of that group can be. ;):rolleyes:

Each repellent was tested once on two of the subjects (three women and two men) using a completely randomized design. Two of the female subjects withdrew before tests were completed

1oz 98% deet + 2oz citronella oil.

Apply to bandanna for hair.

Around any spot a tick can crawl into clothing.

And sensitive spots, forehead, neck, inner arms and back of hands.

The electronic repellents only bug me, the kids and my cat.

The bracelet and necklace repellents are worth as much a a dollar store flea coller on a turkish angora. The bugs would live under them if they could.