Bomb squad was called out today...

I'll make this short. You can read a more thorough account of my day on the cache page at: GC27VHY

Anyways, a cache was published last night, a paddle cache. I don't have a way to do these, so I kind of forgot about it. I wake up this morning, had some time on my hands and figured I'd make it happen. Threw on the wetsuit, found a tube from the summer and drove out there. Got to the island without too much hassle and was only short a GPS. Which I left in the car on purpose, hehe. I had a general idea of where I should be headed and figured it wouldn't be tough. Well, with the hint, it seemed like every tree on the island might have this cache in it's roots. So I'm searching.....and searching until i find it. But it's in a bag, bummer, oh well. So I start to open it and instantly imagine seeing some dog poop in it or something. But wait, I see dynamite/fireworks. I have no idea what it is, but I set it down gently and walk away. I search for another 30 minutes before giving up. No FTF today. As I'm working my way back to the dock, a sheriff happens to pull up. He later told me he hangs out there because of the people who break into cars all the time. Anyways, I walk up to him, tell him what I find and he gets on the radio. About an hour later, we have the bomb tech, a boat and I'm guiding them to what I found. I'm a little nervous at this point thinking I'm wasting their time with a kid who hid some fireworks last summer or something. Anyways, we get there, I point out the bag and then I run off to try and find this cache since I got a second chance. Only lasted two minutes before he was walking back to the boat. He tells us it's several backyard pipe bombs and they'll have to blow it up. So we motor back to the dock, a boss looking guy shows up, they go back out and blow it up. Loudest thing I've ever heard. I had no idea it would be THAT loud, wow. The video I got with my phone did it NO justice.

Anyways, I got out of there, hit up a ten year event, went back, floated out there, found the cache eventually and claimed my 50th FTF. What a day...

edit: Here is the video I took. Not much, but yeah.... http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150175740330562

Edited by NWCREW

Also, while I was talking to the original cop later on, he had mentioned that he was somewhat familiar with geocaching in that when they trained the cops how to use the GPS devices for things like finding a lost person or locating something like these pipe bombs, they used geocaches and had the cops find those. Which is probably why he asked me right away if I had the coords for the pipe bombs, but I told him I didn't take anything with me since I basically swam over there.

Also, while I was talking to the original cop later on, he had mentioned that he was somewhat familiar with geocaching in that when they trained the cops how to use the GPS devices for things like finding a lost person or locating something like these pipe bombs, they used geocaches and had the cops find those. Which is probably why he asked me right away if I had the coords for the pipe bombs, but I told him I didn't take anything with me since I basically swam over there.

To me that bolded part is the most interesting. Train cops with caches, that's a great idea!

Probably spoiled someone's "fishing" expedition.

Not unheard of to drop dynamite into the water to stun fish.

That was what I thought of when I read the OP. More specifically, I thought of the punch line to an old joke: "Are you gonna sit there and talk, or are you gonna fish?"