Do event's count in your totals found?

Normally I wouldn’t care much, but I’m approaching number 100 and I’m going to a 10 year event. I was planning on trying to pick something special for that one and I was looking thru what is in the area. Also was considering trying for a FTF on one of the new caches that are sure to pop up that day if any sounded special enough. Then it occurred to me that if the events counted in my totals I was going to have be careful how I managed them or number 100 wouldn’t be the one I wanted it to be. It also occurred to me that if I did what my DR advised and let my knee get better over the next few days I could make the 10 years event number 100. But I’m not sure I can do that because I already have 95 and I was planning on attending a regular event and CITO before the 10 years event. That would mean I could only get 2 more caches before I went to the 10 years thing. Oh wait I could pop in at the 10 year event and then go to the nearby CITO so I could get 3. I would have loved to have done the Houston area Pick 6 challange that is nearby for number 100 but I messed up because I need to do 6 types of caches in a day to do it and well I only have 4 left to do before 100. LOL Another option is to do the Wherigo at the park, but I really wanted to wait until later in the day to try that. I’ve never done one before and I was hoping to find someone else who is interested to do it with me. There is also an earth cache and a letter box there which I’ve never done. Those are on my list too hopefully do too. By that time I can go get that pick 6 challange. Could you follow all that? Really after typing it out anything I choose will be fine. But I still want to know which one is actually #100.

Thank you for your comments.

Thank you so much for the fast reply. That is exactly what I was looking for, but my search didn't go the way I'd hoped. Might have something to do with pain killers and a lack of sleep. LOL

And you reminded me that there is supposed to be a benchmark a couple of miles from my house that I've been wanting to try and get. I was going to go out after midnight Sun morning and try to find it. It's good to know I won't add to my count if I do stumble upon it.

Do we have a support group. My name is WolfsLady and I'm addicted to Geocaching.

*MrsB reeling slightly, from reading and following the OP* :)

I think it all depends on how accurate/controlling you want to be about the order in which you log your finds for any one day. :)

If we were to go out and do 8 caches (of whatever types) in a day, and one of them was a good one for a particular milestone then I'd just log them carefully to ensure that particular one got slotted in to the sequence so that it showed as the milestone.

However, I do appreciate that some cachers might be a bit horrified at the idea of this slight manipulation of our numbers! :)

MrsB

Do we have a support group. My name is WolfsLady and I'm addicted to Geocaching.

Oh yes.....SE Texas has a very active geocaching community. In fact, they won the Texas Challenge this year in San Angelo (Arrrrrgggghhhhh!). Just go to the regional forums and click on 'Texas' and you'll see a number of events being held in your area. You should be able to meet others there.

Also, if you do some researching, you can find another website that is more 'Texas' specific. Oh, I dunno....maybe type in 'Texas' and 'Geocaching' into your search engine....*wink, wink*.

Edited by Casting Crowns
*MrsB reeling slightly, from reading and following the OP* :)

I think it all depends on how accurate/controlling you want to be about the order in which you log your finds for any one day. :)

If we were to go out and do 8 caches (of whatever types) in a day, and one of them was a good one for a particular milestone then I'd just log them carefully to ensure that particular one got slotted in to the sequence so that it showed as the milestone.

However, I do appreciate that some cachers might be a bit horrified at the idea of this slight manipulation of our numbers! :(

MrsB

Thanks Mrs B!! :o I was thinking the same thing but didn't post it for fear of negative repercussions!! I try to log my finds in the order I actually found them, but for a major event I think I might "fudge" a bit to get a "stat bar" to display like I wanted! :) I would first give every effort to making the cache I chose for a milestone fall into my find sequence in the proper order though!

Oh, the humanity!

Just kidding, of course. The only order I care about are my own logs, since that is a record for myself. And I'm not very interested in milestone caches - too much work :D

Let's see... only 793 more geocaches to go before I can log a 10 Years! event as a nice round number. I better hurry up.

Oh, the humanity!

Just kidding, of course. The only order I care about are my own logs, since that is a record for myself. And I'm not very interested in milestone caches - too much work :D

Let's see... only 793 more geocaches to go before I can log a 10 Years! event as a nice round number. I better hurry up.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to stop counting my hundreds milestones once we get to 1000, might count 1500 or the next thousands milestones. It certainly would be easier to keep track of :D

I think a 10 Years! event, being such a rarity as they will be, will be a great 100th milestone.

If I got busy today and went out and found 18 caches I could log our local 10 years event as my 1000th find. I'll probably catch up on sleep though from a weeklong trip in Europe.

The previous milestone event was the one on 09/09/09. I logged that one as my 909th find.

I think a 10 Years! event, being such a rarity as they will be, will be a great 100th milestone.

Absolutely. This will never happen again.

I didn't plan it, and didn't even realize it until this morning, but I should be at 3996 after tomorrows hike. The owner of our 10 Years! event just placed six caches in the area around the event. I figure that I'll grab three along the way and the event will end up as a big milestone.

Thanks for all the great answers. Some amazing numbers are coming up for some of you. WTG. As it turns out my knee did keep me down this week so I'm still holding at the same number. I was very tempted to go for a new one that was put out today as part of the Texas Parks Challange, but it was mile hike and I didn't want to take the chance that it would flare my knee again and spoil my big day tomorrow.

I have 18 caches on my list for tomorrow and I'm guessing that at least 2 more might show up that I can't pass up.

It did occur to me that I could put them in any order I wanted and I don't have a problem with someone doing that, but it wouldn't seem as special to do it. Besides we are talking about maybe a mile or 2 extra drive to do it in the actual order if I still got crazy on the way down there. It's not like I can't catch any caches I really want to do on the way out, instead of in.

It's silly but I'm a little bummed that there isn't a webcam cache anywhere close enough to get it the same day. (Well if it was just me, I'd pop down to Galvaston just to one but my hubby will never go for it.) I'm also assuming that I can actually figure out how to do the Wherigo, when I've never done one. I've hopefully got it loaded.

It's so fun to hear what others are doing. Some of you are so funny. I was thinking if I was only 18 away from 1000 I'd just have to do those 18 to get there for the event. But I wasn't thinking about the fact that once you get that high it's likely you've pretty much done everything in your area, so not an easy feat. although I'm kind of wondering how many are going to get posted in the morning.

Time to put more ice on my knee.

How'd it go, we want updates :anicute:

Thank you for asking: I had a awesome time. Didn’t turn out exactly how I expected, but than what ever does? Not much in my life. Picked up number 96, a Virtual just after midnight to start my day. (I was planning on doing that on the way in the morning or on the way home, but when we ended up in town really late I figured what the heck. Got going late in the morning and missed the meet n greet by about 10 minutes. We wanted to stop there pick up as many icons as we could in a day. No web cam anywhere near to redeem myself and no way was my DH driving to Galveston where I think the nearest one to home is located. Did a letter box near the park entrance for number 97 and regular a bit further down the road for number 98. Headed to the CITO (99) that was near the 10 years event. Got there and discovered that the 10 years event had decided to blend with the CITO so both log books were sitting side by side. Made sure I signed them in the right order, but laughed at myself as I did it. WooHoo! Number 100! LOL Picked up trash and a mystery or is it unknown? While we filled our bag with what little the million other cachers had left. OK so maybe it was a million mosquitoes and a hundred or so cachers. It was hot. Headed back and really enjoyed visiting at the event. Boy was it hot. But I met so many people and that was a big reason I wanted to attend. Talked to some people who did the Wherigo in the park and when I heard that it was on a loop that was over a mile walk I decided that we’d have to wait for a cooler day, because I wanted to get the pick 6 challange. Silly me didn’t realize and no one mentioned that the pick 6 challenge was on the same loop. After the event we planned to get down to some serious caching and that is when I discovered that I needed to do more research when I plan a day. The caches in the park required a bit more walking than I expected. (Note to self, just because roads have names doesn’t mean they are roads you can drive on.) We did a multi and were feeling good but it was getting later but not cooler. Decided to head straight for the challenge cache and pick up a regular on the way. I was looking for the wrong cache and should have double checked the hint before I gave up. Got the challenge cache but the heat was getting to me. Took the long way back, based upon the advice of some other cachers, which conflicted with the advice of the cacher who had sent me in. Did I mention it was hot? Oh and I forgot my water at the car. Should have looked at the sat pick and made a copy it would have saved me a lot of grief. Passed by 3 caches on the way back because at that point I wasn’t sure I was going to make it back without calling a ranger. But I did pause and think about going for one (I think they were all rated at least 4 stars for terrain) even as I was struggling to finish the loop. Cursed myself for being so out of shape. Made it back to the car when my wonderful husband and son (who had gone on ahead while I rested) brought me some much needed water. Mustered enough energy to stop at the gate for one more regular and on the way home for an earth cache. Stopped once more on the way home to drop off a log book in the Geocache I had placed a few days earlier hoping to get it published the same day. Only when I got back home I discovered that my son had taken the logbook and cache page out and it was laying on the floor, so I had to delay my plans. I really need to stop leaving things of interest to a 2 ½ year old laying around. Which means pretty much everything. I actually like it better this way because the hidden date shows as the 2nd. It’s my first cache GC27XY2 published tonight and already has a FTF. Congratulations NOV64.

In a nutshell ~ Did 10 caches ~ 8 different icons. Hid my first Cache and hit the 100 mark at the 10 years event all in the same day. I’d be willing to bet I had a lot more fun than the guy who did 10, 10 years events.

Does anyone else want to share their stories?

Edited by wolfslady

Late response so sorry for the bit of a gravedig but that sounds like an amazing day! I know I often wander off without water as well and have been close to the danger zone a few times, glad things worked out ok for you. And hey you missed a few caches, just sounds like a reason to visit a great park again. Cheers!