Help.. I cant find cache..regularly

droidster

Ok, So I have done this about 2 weeks. My find rate is about 20%

I thinking...I must be really lucky and guessing all the problematic cache sites or I don't have the "common sense" that everyone is referring to. Others have said When your close, put away the unit and start to look. So I have done that and it has yielded very little. If I am in the woods, what percentage of the time is it going to be up high in a tree? Will I ever have to push brush away or on hands and knees crawl through a sticker bush?

Please tell me the common locations to look when in the woods, near a tree, in a field, and road corners.

Do the more expensive units get you closer to the exact coordinates? Is within 8 feet normal. I have been right on top of the site according to my unit and it is nowhere.

Now on to other item. Is there a way to contact owner of cache to ask for a hint. Or let them know the site has been washed away by a river? or it is all under construction now. These are things I run into and am frustrated as to why I cant find the cache. IS it considered reasonable to ask for a tip from owner?

Thanks

:laughing:

don't worry about your find rate for now, its all part of the learning curve, we all experienced the same thing at first

the cache description usually has a hint, try reading that to help you on your search

the most common hiding spots in the woods are stumps, holes in a tree, hanging from a branch, under piles of dead wood, in fallen trees, the possibilities are endless, but with time you will start getting the feel for it

keep trying and don't get discouraged

you might want to consider teaming up with someone that has more experience, try going to events and meet the local cachers

as for letting the cache owner know about an issue with the cache , the best way is to make a "Needs Maintenance" log on the cache page, keep in mind that is entirely separate from logging a Find or a NDF, you have to log them separate

that is the best way to do it, because it also lets other cachers know that there is an issue and would save them a trip there

to get a hint the cache owners can be contacted through their profile, if you click on their name you will be taken to their profile and there is a link "send message"

Edited by t4e

I started with a Magellan Explorist ($60 on Ebay) I found that at least fifty percent of the finds were with in 3 feet and some right on the money. With the explorist I had to enter everything from paper. I didn't try to find any micros until I got used to the GPS. Recently I purchased a Garmen Oregon 400T so I could go paperless and found it to be no better finding the caches. Now I am thinking about selling the Oregon and just use the explorist.. The Oregon is too complicated for me..

I've been geocaching for over 8 years and I still post quite a few DNFs. Evergreen tree micros, rock piles and playground equipment will usually require a couple visits. But the challenge is one of the reasons I keep caching - if I always found the cache in the first place I looked when I reached GZ, then the sport would have grown really boring really quick. Some of my best cache adventures have ended up with a DNF at the end of them.

Step one..... tell us where you are from in your profile.

Putting it another way..... I'm going out Monday and you are welcome to join me. I'll be doing some in the foothills here (forest), I'll do some country road park-n-grabs, I'll do a city park hide, and whatever else you would like to do. All you have to do is get to Colorado Springs, CO.

In general, when I walk up to a tree and it is indicated as ground zero, I first look on the ground around the trunk for the obvious pile of sticks or a few rocks. Seeing none, I start working my way up the trunk and branches, slowly circling the tree looking for anything unusual. Once I get to about 6-7 feet up, I figure I've overlooked it so it gets another going over.

Don't count on the gps to get you to the exact spot. Figure in the margin of error between your gps and the hiders gps and you can be many feet off. DO, however, figure out how accurate your GPSr is. For example, my partner and I have identical GPSrs and we've determined that mine is just a few feet more accurate than hers is, so side by side my GPSr will read just a foot or two different than hers. Realistically this means nothing BUT... when one of our units starts reading real wild and yet the coords are identical, we know it's time to put new batteries in. What we've figured out is that when our units read ZERO feet.... we're within 6 feet of the cache. This info is always good to know.

Fence post caches can be just about anything from a bison tube hanging on a post to a pile of rocks at the base of the post, to whatever the hider can think of that is different.

So when will you be here?? :laughing:

I have been doing this Geocaching thing for almost 2 months, so i am no "big dog" by any stretch...

* Your GPS does not find ANYTHING. YOU find the cache. The GPS gets you close. Sometimes it brings you within 3 feet. Sometimes it doesn't. LOOK. That's what your eyes are for.

* When your GPS says you are THERE, think to yourself, "Where would you hide a cache if YOU were the hider?" Often there are multiple cool places. Check them all.

* Look for stuff that doesn't look right. Would nature put that pile for rocks there? How but all those stick stacked on that fallen log?

* Early on, try to pick caches that are easy (dif <2)) and that have been found recently. If the last three cachers haven't found it, you won't either. Stick ones that have been found by others. Once you get good, then you can try the others. Early on you need the confidence obtained by posting a smiley.

* Bring children/grandchildren/nieces/nephews. Sounds dumb but some days my 9 year old kicks my butt when it comes to finding caches. First time out we went 1 for 5. She had our only find of the day. Kids do very well with this sport. Probably a lot of reasons. I wish they had this when I was boy in the 70s....

* Smileys can be overrated. Yes, its cool to be able to say you have "x" finds. The real fun is the thrill of the chase. Some the best times we had were on DNFs. Don't let "failure" get in the way of a good time. :laughing:

* Early on in your caching career, decode the hints. Sometime they will help you out and eliminate the places you need to look.

* DON'T GIVE UP! This hobby seems like it shouldn't be that hard. Then you go out and its 10x as hard as you think it should be. Keep with it! It will get easier.

Good luck!

I have three DNF's in a row, and I am relatively new, (88 found), but sometimes it's just not your day. I have gone back and found some. I have learned to look at the logs quickly to make sure that the cache has been found relatively recently (within 4 or so months depending on where it is). There's nothing as frustrating as looking and looking, finally looking at the hint, then finally at the logs, and finding a bunch of DNF's. Aargh! I've done that a few times. Still, when you do go back and find a really hard one, it's really fun.

Step one..... tell us where you are from in your profile.

Putting it another way..... I'm going out Monday and you are welcome to join me. I'll be doing some in the foothills here (forest), I'll do some country road park-n-grabs, I'll do a city park hide, and whatever else you would like to do. All you have to do is get to Colorado Springs, CO.

In general, when I walk up to a tree and it is indicated as ground zero, I first look on the ground around the trunk for the obvious pile of sticks or a few rocks. Seeing none, I start working my way up the trunk and branches, slowly circling the tree looking for anything unusual. Once I get to about 6-7 feet up, I figure I've overlooked it so it gets another going over.

Don't count on the gps to get you to the exact spot. Figure in the margin of error between your gps and the hiders gps and you can be many feet off. DO, however, figure out how accurate your GPSr is. For example, my partner and I have identical GPSrs and we've determined that mine is just a few feet more accurate than hers is, so side by side my GPSr will read just a foot or two different than hers. Realistically this means nothing BUT... when one of our units starts reading real wild and yet the coords are identical, we know it's time to put new batteries in. What we've figured out is that when our units read ZERO feet.... we're within 6 feet of the cache. This info is always good to know.

Fence post caches can be just about anything from a bison tube hanging on a post to a pile of rocks at the base of the post, to whatever the hider can think of that is different.

So when will you be here?? :laughing:

Found a cache today... A bone shaped dog toy with a holed drilled in the end and a film canister cemented in the end. I love the creativity!

I started with a Magellan Explorist ($60 on Ebay) I found that at least fifty percent of the finds were with in 3 feet and some right on the money. With the explorist I had to enter everything from paper. I didn't try to find any micros until I got used to the GPS. Recently I purchased a Garmen Oregon 400T so I could go paperless and found it to be no better finding the caches. Now I am thinking about selling the Oregon and just use the explorist.. The Oregon is too complicated for me..

Can you return the Oregon to place of purchase and trade for another GPSr? The Garmin 60CSx is our choice of "cache finding weapon" and if I can use the basic functions, anyone can! We also started with the Magellan Explorist, and still have it as back-up. Take up the offer of hooking up with someone if you can...ask ngrrfan if they do accomodation too... :laughing:

Found a cache today... A bone shaped dog toy with a holed drilled in the end and a film canister cemented in the end. I love the creativity!

I can show you some REAL creative hides out here. Some are so simple you wonder why it takes such a long tome to find. Others are real mind benders that have you coming back several times before you find it. :laughing:

And all lead to good stories at gatherings. :)

I can show you some REAL creative hides out here. Some are so simple you wonder why it takes such a long tome to find. Others are real mind benders that have you coming back several times before you find it. :laughing:

And all lead to good stories at gatherings. :)

If I ever make it to CO and have time for caching, I'll look you up for sure. B)

And all lead to good stories at gatherings. B)

If I ever make it to CO and have time for caching, I'll look you up for sure. :cool:

You got a deal. :)

I can show you some REAL creative hides out here. Some are so simple you wonder why it takes such a long tome to find. Others are real mind benders that have you coming back several times before you find it. :)

And all lead to good stories at gatherings. :cool:

If I ever make it to CO and have time for caching, I'll look you up for sure. :D

You got a deal. :cool:

Good. That should prevent the stalking charges... :laughing:

:cool:B):grin:

* Your GPS does not find ANYTHING. YOU find the cache. The GPS gets you close. Sometimes it brings you within 3 feet. Sometimes it doesn't. LOOK. That's what your eyes are for.

and sometimes your eyes don't help you either, in those cases you need to use your fingers and FEEL :laughing:

Edited by dfx

Don't count on the gps to get you to the exact spot. Figure in the margin of error between your gps and the hiders gps and you can be many feet off. DO, however, figure out how accurate your GPSr is. For example, my partner and I have identical GPSrs and we've determined that mine is just a few feet more accurate than hers is, so side by side my GPSr will read just a foot or two different than hers. Realistically this means nothing BUT... when one of our units starts reading real wild and yet the coords are identical, we know it's time to put new batteries in. What we've figured out is that when our units read ZERO feet.... we're within 6

Wow! You have a magic GPS! Standard error is usually 15 feet or more. Couple that with the standard error on the CO's part, and signal bounce, the GPS should get you within 30'. Sometimes worse. Sometimes better. Found a tricky hide today, where my GPS insisted I was 27' off. That is actually pretty good! If you expect your GPS to get you within 6' every time, you are in for an awakening.

Don't count on the gps to get you to the exact spot. Figure in the margin of error between your gps and the hiders gps and you can be many feet off. DO, however, figure out how accurate your GPSr is. For example, my partner and I have identical GPSrs and we've determined that mine is just a few feet more accurate than hers is, so side by side my GPSr will read just a foot or two different than hers. Realistically this means nothing BUT... when one of our units starts reading real wild and yet the coords are identical, we know it's time to put new batteries in. What we've figured out is that when our units read ZERO feet.... we're within 6

Wow! You have a magic GPS! Standard error is usually 15 feet or more. Couple that with the standard error on the CO's part, and signal bounce, the GPS should get you within 30'. Sometimes worse. Sometimes better. Found a tricky hide today, where my GPS insisted I was 27' off. That is actually pretty good! If you expect your GPS to get you within 6' every time, you are in for an awakening.

No Harry, I don't expect it to get me to within 6 feet every time, it's just what happens about 90% of the time.

I start the seeking process as I approach GZ looking 100 feet or so ahead of me in the direction the GPS is pointing looking for hiding spots, downed trees, stumps, holes, rocks...As I get to GZ I always look for the telltale pile of sticks or something that doesn't fit the surroundings. At GZ the compass usually bounces so I usually switch to the map page and bring the scale to 20'. I have good luck with this getting a pretty good idea where the hide might be. If the hide doesn't jump out I circle GZ, spiraling out looking in, under and around trees. I then workback to GZ. I don't like crashing thru thorns so I figure the cache owner didn't either. I loath reading the hints and try to avoid it, but will when I'm striking out. The size ot the cache is also a clue, micros in the woods are usually hangers, guardrail near GZ equals magnet. There is only one caveat here, evil cache hiders! But you will grow to appreciate them.

When I first started I'd get to the cache area and confusion reigned. I did get in touch with a few COs and other cachers for help, thats cool.

I love the hunt, the trails and everything about GCing. Except for the ticks, plucked to many of those lately. Good luck its fun.

Edited by scrapes

Getting with other cachers is a great way to 'learn the ropes' and learn new stuff about the hobby, not to mention make new friends.

Check for close by event caches and go to a few of those. Look for some that have events that center around hunts, or are meet and greets that are located close to some caches you haven't found yet.

You'll find that the events are usually filled with seasoned cachers that like to eat, but more than that like to teach new cachers all about their take on hunting a cache or two.

Hello all! I hope you don't mind a related follow-up question from a newbie.

Like the original poster, I have a really low find rate. I don't expect to find them all first time out but I'm revisiting sites and still not having any luck.

Is it uncommon to need to take something apart or literally dig around to find a cache that is rated as really easy? There are a some caches I've tried for several times and just can't get my eyes on them.

At one location, there is a manhole cover that seems to be at GZ and also a utility pole within a few feet that has some protective moldings screwed on...I'm hesitant to tamper with the pole or lift the cover...would it be unusual for these to be hiding places?

What about actually digging for a cache...like under several inches of mulch....or hidden within a stack of logs or rocks that would have to be unstacked to even see the container?

The first couple caches I found could be seen when approached/viewed at a just-right angle. I definitely had to hunt for them but I didn't have to take anything apart just to see them.

Am I just overthinking?

Thanks for your time friends!

Our new GPS isn't right on the money either. We have found out that when Mom, the navigator, has the cache pegged "right on", the cache is usually 20-25ft at "2 o'clock" from where she is standing! Mom may not be the one to actually pickup the container, but she can usually point to the spot. We are planning on hiding a few caches, so it is nice to know that no one expects us to be exact with every GPS out there. Will hide a couple of easy ones until we get the hang of it.

Hello all! I hope you don't mind a related follow-up question from a newbie.

Like the original poster, I have a really low find rate. I don't expect to find them all first time out but I'm revisiting sites and still not having any luck.

Is it uncommon to need to take something apart or literally dig around to find a cache that is rated as really easy? There are a some caches I've tried for several times and just can't get my eyes on them.

At one location, there is a manhole cover that seems to be at GZ and also a utility pole within a few feet that has some protective moldings screwed on...I'm hesitant to tamper with the pole or lift the cover...would it be unusual for these to be hiding places?

What about actually digging for a cache...like under several inches of mulch....or hidden within a stack of logs or rocks that would have to be unstacked to even see the container?

The first couple caches I found could be seen when approached/viewed at a just-right angle. I definitely had to hunt for them but I didn't have to take anything apart just to see them.

Am I just overthinking?

Thanks for your time friends!

First thing is look at the terrain and difficulty levels, then look at the size of the cache. If you are really stumped use the hint and read the previous finder caches.

If you are at GZ and there is a utility pole chances are its a nano cache. about the size of a fingernail that has room for a tiny rolled up log. IF there is a mound of sticks in a park or forested area or a mound of dried leaves, chances are its under it. But really digging is (supposedly) off limits (debatable on the forums). Not supposed to be buried treasures, just cleverly hidden.

If its a rock wall, look in the crevaces, if there is guardrail check the crevaces, sometimes the cache can be a bolt.

Lastly, find an event near where you live and talk to the local cachers, maybe even hooking up with a group after the event to cache a bit so you can learn more about the game and how to develop, "geo-sense"

I have an old Garmin Map 76 and I love it! I've had it for 8 years. Sometimes I think it's got brains because it will guide me around a swamp or to an easy crossing point on a stream but when it gets to ground zero I've got to use the force Luke. I don't know if other units do this but the Map 76 will tell me what the accuracy is at any given time, so if it's giving me a 30ft margin of error I guess I have a 60 ft circle I have to search. Most of the time it gets me very close though. That being said I usually first see what size the container is and try to think of where a good spot to hide it would be and look there. I've been close to the edge of a cliff and had a likely looking spot and searched for a long time there almost giving up only to find it down the cliff below that spot. So you sometimes have to look high and low. The small one's are of course the hardest to find. I've seen camouflaged Popsicle sticks five feet up a tree. What I'm trying to tell you is it's not always easy, if it were, what fun would it be? One of the best hides I've found is a log that someone hollowed out with a chain saw big enough to fit a large container in and placed it by other logs, a blow down and a stone wall. You could see where people were searching but never touched the cache. It took me almost 30 min. to find it. I had to stand back and look at the area and think of where they could have put it and finally picked up the right log. :)

Keep the faith

Upham

Edited by Upham
I have learned to look at the logs quickly to make sure that the cache has been found relatively recently (within 4 or so months depending on where it is). There's nothing as frustrating as looking and looking, finally looking at the hint, then finally at the logs, and finding a bunch of DNF's.

You could also run a PQ and check the box that says "Found in the last 7 days". This way the query will only pull caches that have been logged as found in the past week.

I'm fairly new myself. Been caching for about 3 weeks and have 55 finds. A few things I've learned:

1.) Using a GPSr is paradoxical at times. It might take you right to GZ (ground zero). It might not. There are times when you will begin to doubt your GPSr or even the owner's GPSr. If you do, your intuition will only be right about 50% of the time. Always stop at ground zero, stand still, and look around intently. Focus. And unfocus. You just might have an ahhhh moment. If you're intently looking for every obvious spot or worrying about accuracy, you stand a good chance of missing something right in front of your face. Literally.

Case in point - I was making my second attempt at a cache. The first time around, I came too late in the evening and it was beginning to get dark. I didn't stand a chance as I would soon learn. The second time, I spent a half-hour or better looking for the thing. It was in a tall hedge row. My GPSr got me in the general area so I began searching three hedges. I was literally down on my knees searching every nook and cranny and the ground surrounding them. I went in and out and and around and through those hedges for a half hour. Several times, my GPSr hit GZ (0 feet from coordinates). In fact, when I first walked up it hit GZ. So, here I am, on my knees, at one of those GZ moments wondering if it's even there. I've given up now. I stand up and the thing literally almost hits me in the face. Had I stopped the first time at GZ and let my eyes wander, I would have found it in less than a minute. It was a cammo'd match tube zip tied to a hedge branch. I'd never seen that. Now it's on my "watch out for" list.

So, do you trust the GPSr or not? I never assume one way or the other. I give each probability of accurate vs inaccurate coordinates the same weight. Stop and look around. You just might have an ahhh moment.

2.) After you find a hanging bison tube, many times you can see it from 20 ft away because you KNOW where it is. But as hard as you try, your eyes may or may not cooperate during the hunt. I have spent a good amount of time looking for something in plain sight that is almost within my grasp.

3.) Things are not always as they seem. There are fake rocks, tubes in sticks, and a myriad of other deceptive hiding places. Once you find a few, your geocaching sense will begin to improve.

Watch out for deceptive clues. While the hint is/should be a help, clues within the cache page text itself may or may not be helpful. It's all part of the game. Your GPSr may take you right to the spot. But if you begin to mistrust it because of a deceptive clue, you may be in for a long hunt. Again, there are times when you *should* trust your GPSr. Remember, the skill is in the hide just as much as it is in the hunt.

4.) Use a real compass. I bought a cheap lensatic compass at a local discount store. A lensatic compass is one you can actually "sight" or look through to find a given bearing. It's setup so you can look through a small window like a gun sight and see the compass dial at the same time. It is the second thing I grab after I grab my GPSr. If I'm having a particularly hard time finding GZ, like in and amongst trees, I back off into a clearing, let the GPSr settle, and take a bearing with the compass (I have my GPSr set to display bearing and range). Many times I'll actually "see" the suspect area through the compass. That compass has saved me on a number of occasions.

5.) As you find more caches and different types of caches, your geocaching sense will begin to sharpen. You'll know what types of things you're looking for and what types of places to search. But it takes finding a variety of caches to really get into the swing of things.

Finally, yes, I'm a newbie, but in these three short weeks, I've learned alot about the game. Don't get discouraged. It's a lot of fun. You get to see lots of interesting places. And, most importantly, you get to give your brain a real workout.

Ok, So I have done this about 2 weeks. My find rate is about 20%

I thinking...I must be really lucky and guessing all the problematic cache sites or I don't have the "common sense" that everyone is referring to. Others have said When your close, put away the unit and start to look. So I have done that and it has yielded very little. If I am in the woods, what percentage of the time is it going to be up high in a tree? Will I ever have to push brush away or on hands and knees crawl through a sticker bush?

Please tell me the common locations to look when in the woods, near a tree, in a field, and road corners.

Do the more expensive units get you closer to the exact coordinates? Is within 8 feet normal. I have been right on top of the site according to my unit and it is nowhere.

Now on to other item. Is there a way to contact owner of cache to ask for a hint. Or let them know the site has been washed away by a river? or it is all under construction now. These are things I run into and am frustrated as to why I cant find the cache. IS it considered reasonable to ask for a tip from owner?

Thanks

:rolleyes:

I am a newbie as well.... I have found 5 of 6 on the first day and went back to the web site of geocaching and notice that the one we could not find was also one that was last found 7 months ago.... I guess it is gone or ???? For me, I check the last found date to see if it has been recently found. All the ones we have found have been shin high or higher, so no digging, etc.... Hope this helps...

Thanks for the tips friends...I went back to my most challenging location and found the cache...WOOT!!!

Isn't that a wonderful feeling to conquer your nemesis? :rolleyes:

Yes it is! I was so encouraged, I made an unplanned stop on the way home and found another one ;)

...I don't have the "common sense" that everyone is referring to...

First of all it's called geo-sense. It's the term we like to use when easily spotting a cache hide. It doesn't happen all that often so you'll rarely see people admitting otherwise. :rolleyes:

Bottom line it's experience, and that still doesn't always help.

Heck, if it was easy it wouldn't be much fun.

Keep on caching.