Replacement Log Sheets

Starting my adventures during the rainy season I've come across many wet logs.

I'd like to have a dry log available to insert into a cache in the event one is unusable. Falling apart/moldy etc.. Not just damp.

First, if I don't remove the existing log, is this acceptable?

Second, are there pre-formatted log sheets I can download and print or do I just get the cache note and make my own?

Thanks

Many cache owners will be thankful, some would rather you didn't. I'm in the latter category. I'd rather you just log a needs maintenance and let me take care of it.

If you are going to replace a logbook try to replace it with something similar.

For micros there are many pre-formatted logsheets. Just google geocache micro log and you'll see a bunch and can choose the one you prefer.

For regular sized caches you can buy a pack of spiral bound steno pads for about $3 at Staples or buy then individually at WalMart for about 69 cents.

When I find a cache with a wet/full log, I often leave a replacement log. Actually, since I never remove the original log, I suppose it's a "supplemental log", rather than a "replacement log", but you get the idea. There's also an abbreviated stash note printed at the beginning of the log. I always mention what I've done in my log, so the owner knows there was an issue, but that it has been addressed.

I carry a small supply of replacement micro logs, some small zlock bags and a few sheets of note paper. Have supplemented with a fresh sheet on several occasions and on one or 2 replaced a filli micro log with a fresh. Always offered to drop the old log at a mutually agbreeable location for retreival by the CO. My efforts have always been met gratefully thus far. We all have been a position of not being able to *immediately* go caching when lgitw.

i don't think you can claim credit for a find if you don't sign the original log.

:)

I think that's insane (Sorry, just my feeling here).

If the cache has been found, the log is a bunch of mush, and I have a nice supplementary log that I can add to the container (as a courtesy), that's a proper find.

If I cannot get to the original log, that's a different story.

If not being able to log a find because the log book was a bunch of wet mush, I'd have to leave a "Needs Archived" log because the cache owner was irresponsible. I really don't believe that should be the case and I shouldn't have to come back when the cache owner took care of the problem.

i don't think you can claim credit for a find if you don't sign the original log.

If the cache has been found, the log is a bunch of mush, and I have a nice supplementary log that I can add to the container (as a courtesy), that's a proper find.

If not being able to log a find because the log book was a bunch of wet mush, I'd have to leave a "Needs Archived" log because the cache owner was irresponsible. I really don't believe that should be the case and I shouldn't have to come back when the cache owner took care of the problem.

Wow!! It would do well for all of us to recognize a joke when we read it! This- :) - generally indicates someone was joking when they made the comment.

If you really believe someone thinks you have to sign the "original" log, what happens when it is full? Does the cache get archived because any logbook put in after that is not "original"?

As far as a wet log , most CO's aren't clairvoyant, nor do they go check all their caches every time it rains. They rely on the online logs and a NM to indicate problems. Many do make periodic checks on their caches without a NM posted, but most rely on the logs.

The same online log... if people would use it correctly and log a NM, not just note it in the "Found It" log..not only alerts the CO, but also serves as a warning to future finders. If a cache has a log of "NM- logbook is wet", and you see that, you should be prepared to replace it if you insist on hunting the cache before the NM is cleared!

(Sorry, just my feeling here) If you log a NA just because a logbook is wet... that is just insane. Of course some people feel they shouldn't have to read the online logs before they hunt a cache either :) .

And yes... I do read the last few entries (at least) on every cache I hunt! They are not so prolific around here that I can afford to drive out to them, hunt the thing down, and not be able to sign because it was muggled, or the logbook is wet,ect... I carry extras just in case of this. (logbooks NOT throwdown caches) Aside from not wanting to spend my time, and not get a smiley due to a wet log book, I also do this because it is simple courtesy, and hope someone would pass the favor along!

Edited by NeecesandNephews

Wow!! It would do well for all of us to recognize a joke when we read it! This- :) - generally indicates someone was joking when they made the comment.

If you really believe someone thinks you have to sign the "original" log, what happens when it is full? Does the cache get archived because any logbook put in after that is not "original"?

As far as a wet log , most CO's aren't clairvoyant, nor do they go check all their caches every time it rains. They rely on the online logs and a NM to indicate problems. Many do make periodic checks on their caches without a NM posted, but most rely on the logs.

The same online log... if people would use it correctly and log a NM, not just note it in the "Found It" log..not only alerts the CO, but also serves as a warning to future finders. If a cache has a log of "NM- logbook is wet", and you see that, you should be prepared to replace it if you insist on hunting the cache before the NM is cleared!

(Sorry, just my feeling here) If you log a NA just because a logbook is wet... that is just insane. Of course some people feel they shouldn't have to read the online logs before they hunt a cache either :) .

And yes... I do read the last few entries (at least) on every cache I hunt! They are not so prolific around here that I can afford to drive out to them, hunt the thing down, and not be able to sign because it was muggled, or the logbook is wet,ect... I carry extras just in case of this. (logbooks NOT throwdown caches) Aside from not wanting to spend my time, and not get a smiley due to a wet log book, I also do this because it is simple courtesy, and hope someone would pass the favor along!

I didn't really notice the imoticon on the entry that I was replying to.. sorry...

Wow! Didn't expect the response...

If you read my response taking in count that I'd read it literally, I think we both completely agree.

Thanks,

-Dwight

My caching bag contains replacement logs of all sizes, heavy duty ziplocs in three sizes, a baggie of pencils (golf sized), shopping bags for putting the trash in and a variety of swag for beefing up or replacing the trash.

I wouldn't think of just leaving a wet log in a cache and then posting a NM or NA.

I'm there, the cache owner is not, I think it's just courteous to do a few seconds worth of maintenance.

I have two envelopes on my desk right now with dried out cache logs for two local CO's. I've marked the logs as to which caches they came out of. I've met them personally and we'll meet up somewhere, sometime soon or I'll pop them in the mail.

If I'm caching somewhere a distance away, I'll still do what I can to keep the cache functioning well. I'd rather pay the postage to send a cache log back to the CO than leave a cache in disrepair.

I didn't really notice the imoticon on the entry that I was replying to.. sorry...

Wow! Didn't expect the response...

If you read my response taking in count that I'd read it literally, I think we both completely agree.

Thanks,

-Dwight

Dwight I did not mean for it to seem I was flaming you. We do agree. I think I missed the context or your reply also.

If I (out of courtesy and for the smiley) replace a log book for a CO, sign that replacement logbook, and then have my find deleted by the CO for not signing the original... my first reaction would be to mutter "why you ingrateful so-and-so".

My second reaction (if the cache was local) would be to go retrieve my replacement logbook, return home, and log a NM on the cache.

My third reaction would probably be to put all of that CO's caches on my ignore list!!

I see no difference in signing and claiming a find on my replacement logbook, or the one that the CO went and placed in the cache. Only difference is... I did not have to go back and sign his.

For the record... I do not feel the same way about a replacement cache!! (throwdown) I will not put out a replacement cache, even if the previouse logger stated that they took it with them when they left. I will make repairs to a cache container, but I feel replacement is the sole responsibility of the CO.

If I (out of courtesy and for the smiley) replace a log book for a CO, sign that replacement logbook, and then have my find deleted by the CO for not signing the original... my first reaction would be to mutter "why you ingrateful so-and-so".

My second reaction (if the cache was local) would be to go retrieve my replacement logbook, return home, and log a NM on the cache.

My third reaction would probably be to put all of that CO's caches on my ignore list!!

I see no difference in signing and claiming a find on my replacement logbook, or the one that the CO went and placed in the cache. Only difference is... I did not have to go back and sign his.

i saw someone replace a few logs... and actually put in their online (and paper) log "FTF!! new log!" :)

I like to replace old wet and moldy logs as well, but I always offer to give the old log to the CO if they want it, especially if I know the person, or I put the old icky log in its own baggie (so it doesn't wet the new one) and leave the new one, and then let the CO know that their old log is there if they want it... usually they don't, but I like to give them the option, since it is their cache.

i saw someone replace a few logs... and actually put in their online (and paper) log "FTF!! new log!" :D

That's just madness, madness I tell ya. :DB)

Everyone knows the correct acronym is FTSNL.

Wow!! You can come caching in my area.... We have one guy put a cache in about 5 years ago its been logged as having slime and slugs and all kinds of things for the last two years, and he hasn't ever done maintenance or even logged on to the caching website for at least two years. People have put new paper in and done what they could. I sent him an email to try to adopt his cache (he lives about 70km from it) - No reply. Go figure.

Wow!! You can come caching in my area.... We have one guy put a cache in about 5 years ago its been logged as having slime and slugs and all kinds of things for the last two years, and he hasn't ever done maintenance or even logged on to the caching website for at least two years. People have put new paper in and done what they could. I sent him an email to try to adopt his cache (he lives about 70km from it) - No reply. Go figure.

People trying to "help" by keeping this cache alive are only prolonging the agony. Just post the NA and open the area up to have a cache placed by someone who is still active.

My caching bag contains replacement logs of all sizes, heavy duty ziplocs in three sizes, a baggie of pencils (golf sized), shopping bags for putting the trash in and a variety of swag for beefing up or replacing the trash.

You are awesome

That would reduce my find count by 50 or so. I carry fresh logs and if the log is unusable I place one of mine in it and mention it in my log. I have never received a "You shouldn't have done that" from a CO. In fact most email a personal thanks.