Archiving a cache

A cache, "In The Night Garden" I visited recently looks as though it has been muggled. Several people have been to it and not found it. I Emailed the owner about this and several other matters relating to their caches but got no response.

I would like to know how best to report such a cache and how to get it archived so no more people waste their time?

Thanks

The cache owner's last visit was on March 23, 2010, so it seems pretty obvious that they are still around. They may be on vacation without a computer, may have an illness in the family that is more important to them than disabling the cache immediately. Besides, you didn't find it, so you can't say for sure that it isn't there. Post a Needs Maintenance log if you must (although your April 7th note is essentially the same thing) and maybe put a watch on it. If there has been no cache owner activity on it in a few more weeks, you could post a Needs Archived note, which will notify the cache owner and the reviewer.

I think the cache owner already knows it needs maintenance. The clue is all the DNF logs.

well they may not pay close enough attention to DNF logs. i've found many times that when a string of DNFs came in on a cache and the CO showed no reaction, that posting a NM log caused them to react right away.

Your next step would be to post a "Needs Archived" Log Entry on the Listing. That will send an email to the Local Reviewer(s) who can take the appropriate action.

Thanks for that, will take on board. Other advice seems to be post a Needs Maintenance log first, so may do that and if no joy I will post a needs archiving log.

Thanks again

Your next step would be to post a "Needs Archived" Log Entry on the Listing. That will send an email to the Local Reviewer(s) who can take the appropriate action.

Thanks for that, will take on board. Other advice seems to be post a Needs Maintenance log first, so may do that and if no joy I will post a needs archiving log.

Thanks again

If you post a Needs Archived log on a cache where the owner has not been very active, there is little chance that any action will be taken.

If you post a Needs Archived log, then the local reviewer get notified and they will look at it and decide if it gets disabled for a few weeks in hopes the cache owner will take action, or go directly to archive (in cases of trespassing or at land manger request)

Bottom line, don't be afraid of the Needs Archived log. It really means "local reviewer, please check out this one". If the cache owner doesn't like it, let me know. If the cache clearly needs attention and you don't hear anything in a week, post another one or discuss it in the forums. Sometimes the log e-mails do get lost.

If you post a Needs Archived log on a cache where the owner has not been very active, there is little chance that any action will be taken.

If you post a Needs Archived Needs Maintenance log, then the local reviewer get notified and they will look at it and decide if it gets disabled for a few weeks in hopes the cache owner will take action, or go directly to archive (in cases of trespassing or at land manger request)

Bottom line, don't be afraid of the Needs Archived log. It really means "local reviewer, please check out this one". If the cache owner doesn't like it, let me know. If the cache clearly needs attention and you don't hear anything in a week, post another one or discuss it in the forums. Sometimes the log e-mails do get lost.

I think that (the red text) is what Moose Mob intended to say.

I totally agree with what he says about posting a Needs Archived log with the possible exception that you may gain a bad reputation if you post them carelessly. That's why I always suggest posting a Needs Maint first and waiting a while.

If you post a Needs Archived Needs Maintenance log, then the local reviewer get notified and they will look at it and decide if it gets disabled for a few weeks in hopes the cache owner will take action, or go directly to archive (in cases of trespassing or at land manger request)

I think that (the red text) is what Moose Mob intended to say.

I totally agree with what he says about posting a Needs Archived log with the possible exception that you may gain a bad reputation if you post them carelessly. That's why I always suggest posting a Needs Maint first and waiting a while.

Actually I think it's the other way around. If the owner is not active a Needs Maintenance wont do much good. A Needs Archived log gets sent to the reviewer.

Perhaps Needs Reviewer Attention woulds be a better log type than Needs Archived. I suspect that the TLA would confuse some and anger others so perhaps that isn't such a good idea. :P

To reiterate what MooseMob wrote, if you post a "Needs Archived" log the reviewer should get a notification, as will the cache owner and anyone who has the cache on their watch list

If you post a "Needs Maintenance" log the cache reviewer will not get that notification. They only get the "Needs Archived" ones unless the cache happens to be on their watch list, in which case they get all logs.

~erik~

If you post a Needs Archived Needs Maintenance log on a cache where the owner has not been very active, there is little chance that any action will be taken.

If you post a Needs Archived log, then the local reviewer get notified and they will look at it and decide if it gets disabled for a few weeks in hopes the cache owner will take action, or go directly to archive (in cases of trespassing or at land manger request)

I think the bolded part is what he meant to say.