which caches have swags

kpflounder

My children are compiling a SWAG trade box. So far, it's trinkets. We spent 3 hours caching the other day and none had trades. My kids really want to swap, so how can I find which caches have swaps?

There's no way of finding out, but you can guess - only go for caches that are listed as "Small" or larger.

My children are compiling a SWAG trade box. So far, it's trinkets. We spent 3 hours caching the other day and none had trades. My kids really want to swap, so how can I find which caches have swaps?

Geeze, how many caches did you find? Even though we no longer trade, we rarely encounter a cache with no trade items. Granted they are mostly one notch above trash but they do have stuff in them.

Many times finders will list their trade activity on a cache in the online log and those caches would of course be a good choice.

Hope that your luck improves soon. :anicute:

Edited by Team Cotati

You hunt for small and larger caches, actually more of the regulars will have swag than smalls will. So you're now hunting for ammo cans, large peanut butter jars, larger lock-n-locks, etc.

Yup, search out larger caches. Your 5 of 6 are micros. Hard to hold swag if it isn't big enough, what?

Although we have a local cacher who has been know to take firetrucks and ladders and other large items from micros and leave things line anvils, moose antlers, and room sized rugs in exchange. :sad::):D

The bigger the cache, the more likely your kids will find something. That's not possible with the micro caches. So if you want to trade swag, hunt small, regular and large geocaches.

GermanSailor

You can come and find ours! :sad::) Most are larger and we like to keep them dry and stocked. If you really can't seem to find any you could email some local cachers and ask who really seems to take care of their caches as your kids are looking for swag.

After you get 100 finds under your belt go out and hide a few. We've got so much swag we've accumulated that we need to keep hiding them to get rid of this stuff! :D

Yup, search out larger caches. Your 5 of 6 are micros. Hard to hold swag if it isn't big enough, what?

Generally easier if you search out other than urban caches. :laughing:

OOOOOOOOHHHHH!!! See, we're still very new! The little dot is the size of the cache! We were strapped for cash this last week - enexpected trip - and just searching close to home. NOW we know to look at the dots! I can't find the Is My Face Red icon... LOL.

My next question will be how to find the more hiker-y ones. (yep, george-bushed that word)

Generally easier if you search out other than urban caches. :laughing:

OOOOOOOOHHHHH!!! See, we're still very new! The little dot is the size of the cache! We were strapped for cash this last week - enexpected trip - and just searching close to home. NOW we know to look at the dots! I can't find the Is My Face Red icon... LOL.

My next question will be how to find the more hiker-y ones. (yep, george-bushed that word)

:P

Use the Geocaching Maps for your area (different ways to find it, it is a "map it" link on the right of your profile page, or you can go to a local cache page and find it as one of the map links there). This will show a google map with all the area caches shown as icons. It will give you an idea of where hiking caches are.

Also, on the search page, you can look at the stars for Terrain, the higher they are, the less likely they are to be easy park and grabs.

You can also check the right side of the cache page and see if the cache contains travel bugs or geocoins. If it contains those, then they most likely also contain SWAG.

Don't expect the bugs or coins to actually be there though lol. Of my 51 finds, I found probably 5 or 6 caches that were said to contain bugs or coins, only to find they werent there. When I did finally find my first bug, it was in a cache that wasn't listed as having a bug when I looked at it. It had been added after I looked at the info page. The first coin I found was supposed to be a different coin than the one I actually found there, etc.