GPS under 100$...?

Gales7008

Would it be a realistic goal to get a decent GPS for under 100$? I found a few caches with the families TOMTOM. I need to upgrade but don't have the funds for a really nice one. If someone could point out a few brands I should check out It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and help.

Gales7008

A used one is likely your best bet.

For new - the Grmin eTrex "H" is a fine unit that will get you to nearly any cache just fine but has only serial connection and is a B&W display. About $85

However - I have a hard time recommending anything less than the Garmin Legend "H" for about $115. USB connections, some map memory, high sensitivity, geocaching mode and rugged.

The eTrex H is under $100 but once you figure in the cost of computer connectivity you're talking as much as another $60. For around $120 you can get a Venture HC or Legend H. If that is too steep, I agree with Starbrand and look for a used unit.

You might want to come here again if you find what you think is a good deal on a used unit. There are many good used units out there and a lot of clunkers.

Would it be a realistic goal to get a decent GPS for under 100$? I found a few caches with the families TOMTOM. I need to upgrade but don't have the funds for a really nice one. If someone could point out a few brands I should check out It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and help.

Gales7008

I agree with the guys above that the best GPS for Geocaching under $100 would be Etrex H by Garmin (H stands for new High-sensitivity reciever). The best deal on those seems to be from walmart.com site when you chose free site-to-store option. Then it only ends up costing you about $85. Somr models of Etrex H have connectivity via USB to computer (makes it really easy to upload new coords right into geocaching menu). However with Etrex H you'll get pretty much just the "as teh crow flies" navigation. Upgrade to at least a Garmin Etrex Venture HC (High sensitivity and Color screen) - only a bit more over 100 bucks but the options are much better. You have base map (makes it easy to find way back out of the woods), geocaching menu, etc. I'm not sure i'd go with sed handheld units since geocaching and most ther outdoor sports seem to be rough on electronics, things get dropped, dunked or thrown in frustration :smile:. I tried getting a deal Ebay once - the handheld i bought (though it only set me back $15 or so) was worthless when it comes to geocaching. I did find a few caches using that one but it was unbearably frustrating. Another great thing with garmin is that all the power and data cables are interchangeable, and they use similar software when hooked up to a computer. (In the car i use coord from my car GPS to power my Etrex - saves battery life). As for car GPS - you get what you pay for. The only other option is go to a Price Club lace to purchase a gps (i'm happy with my Garmin :) ). There you usually get the best price, and with most electronics at COSTCO for example, if you have a premium membership, you automatiacally get LIFETIME warranty on the product. - Pretty much if anythin wrong with your unit (maps outdated) you can get a brand new one.

I would look 2 places

1 craigslist

2 gps garage sale here in the forums.

After doing a search, look on Geocaching.com GPS REVIEWS. Look for that model and see what it runs like. A little bigger of a unit, but the Garmin GPS V is by far one of my favs. Cheap, Old, BW, but if you have map software in it, it will give you turn by turn.

BAD SIDE. Most of the cheap units are Serial port to puter. So you have to manually enter cords, or look for a unit that comes with a USB.

Good luck

Look around for a Lowrance iFinder Go or Go2 they're amongst the cheapest *new* GPSr's on the market. They have no computer connectivity, but other than that they're pretty decent for the money. Every bit as accurate as the more expensive units, and the batteries last FOREVER!!

Edited by NordicMan

I can't vouch for the quality of the unit, but a Magellan Triton 400, which has USB connectivity, SD card compatibility, color maps and imagery capability, free/user made maps ability, and a dedicated forum of users that were positive and helpful to me (I was considering one, and in my homework, I went there....) can be had, NIB for $100 on ebay. I bought a DeLorme PN-30 after asking for some final advice here for $150, shipped. But, the Triton 400 made it to my last 3 choices.

Later!

Look around for a Lowrance iFinder Go or Go2 they're amongst the cheapest *new* GPSr's on the market. They have no computer connectivity, but other than that they're pretty decent for the money. Every bit as accurate as the more expensive units, and the batteries last FOREVER!!

Hmm. Go2's look to be going for about $80 brand new! Brand new GPSr models without computer connectivity are rare these days (was more common say 5 or 6 years ago), but for $80, what can you expect? You don't hear of many Geocachers using a Lowrance, but they've been in the game a long time, and make good units. This thing has WAAS also, which many of the really low end handhelds didn't have in the past. Bottom line, this thing sounds pretty good to me for a brand new under $100 unit.

Hmm. Go2's look to be going for about $80 brand new! Brand new GPSr models without computer connectivity are rare these days (was more common say 5 or 6 years ago), but for $80, what can you expect? You don't hear of many Geocachers using a Lowrance, but they've been in the game a long time, and make good units. This thing has WAAS also, which many of the really low end handhelds didn't have in the past. Bottom line, this thing sounds pretty good to me for a brand new under $100 unit.

Actually if you're the type that likes to fiddle with cables & some software coding, you CAN have computer connectivity to the iFinder Go/Go2 <_<

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=112236

It seems Lowrance *might have* been planning to offer that option while the units were in development, but bailed out before they went to market. I think Lowrance considers these as entry level devices & most consumers shopping for such a (low priced) device won't be needing or wanting computer connectivity..

I can't vouch for the quality of the unit, but a Magellan Triton 400, which has USB connectivity, SD card compatibility, color maps and imagery capability, free/user made maps ability, and a dedicated forum of users that were positive and helpful to me (I was considering one, and in my homework, I went there....) can be had, NIB for $100 on ebay. I bought a DeLorme PN-30 after asking for some final advice here for $150, shipped. But, the Triton 400 made it to my last 3 choices.

Later!

I have a Triton 400 and I like it a lot. Pretty accurate, seems tough enough, and does so much more than just Geocaching. The problem is that the initial setup can be intimidating for the less technically minded, but once it's updated and set up, it works great. $100 is a screamin' deal for one of these.

A few small negatives though ... it does not have the ability to load files directly from GC.com without having to pass through Vantage Point, and it won't work with GSAK. But that being said, Vanatage Point does allow you to edit cache listings before transferring to the unit itself, and it gives me the ability to view the terrain in 3D, so it all works out.

They can be unpredictable when the battery power gets low though <_<

I would look 2 places

1 craigslist

2 gps garage sale here in the forums.

After doing a search, look on Geocaching.com GPS REVIEWS. Look for that model and see what it runs like. A little bigger of a unit, but the Garmin GPS V is by far one of my favs. Cheap, Old, BW, but if you have map software in it, it will give you turn by turn.

BAD SIDE. Most of the cheap units are Serial port to puter. So you have to manually enter cords, or look for a unit that comes with a USB.

Good luck

I'm against Craigslist units and other Used GPS simply because you don't know how they have been used, if they have been dropped ever, etc. Yes - it may work when they ship it to you but you don't know if it has been dropped one time to many. Nowadays walmart.com offers the newest low price of $79 for the basic Etrex H (High sensitivity receiver) and no shipping costs if you chose site-to-store. THiese units also do come with the usb port and cable to hook it up to your PC which REALLY saves the hassle of inserting all the data into your GPS manually. New Geocaching mode works wonders too.

Check that famous huge "E" auction market place....

Again, for Electronics that are made for use outdoors, it's not the best (for same reasons as the place described in the post above). ANd during my searches there - it is nearly impossible to find starter units much cheaper than again, the other place mentioned in the post above.

and you can always check out not what other members of the actual GEOCACHING community ranked different available units right on geocaching website

I am not sure by what you mean, "hand enter coordinates"? I have a serial cable, and I can download either LOC, or GPx files directly to my Etrex H, without any hand entering coordinates. I can hand enter when in the field. I recently did a multicache, and had to enter coordinates I received from the first cache to find the second, and then the third! I did not find that even so big a problem, so am I missing something?

Before I got the Etrex H, I read on the Garmin site, that the H is not geocaching friendly, but the one I have can handle 500 waypoints so I am not sure what Garmin means either! Would someone explain to me what the higher endowed models provide for basic geocaching, that the H does not have? Thank RkyMtnHootOwl

I am not sure by what you mean, "hand enter coordinates"?

I think you are referring to mine...if so, I have to enter all my coordinates by hand, because I bought my gps on craigslist and it didn't have the serial cable with it...I haven't bought one yet, though I know I can get one for $14 shipped. But I am going to be buying a newer colorado so I'm not going to buy the cord.

I am not sure by what you mean, "hand enter coordinates"? I have a serial cable, and I can download either LOC, or GPx files directly to my Etrex H, without any hand entering coordinates. I can hand enter when in the field. I recently did a multicache, and had to enter coordinates I received from the first cache to find the second, and then the third! I did not find that even so big a problem, so am I missing something?

Before I got the Etrex H, I read on the Garmin site, that the H is not geocaching friendly, but the one I have can handle 500 waypoints so I am not sure what Garmin means either! Would someone explain to me what the higher endowed models provide for basic geocaching, that the H does not have? Thank RkyMtnHootOwl

Nearly all hand held units are "geocahing friendly" I think what Garmin means is that the eTrex H doesn't have geocaching specific features.

For example the higher end eTrex units and the 60 and 76 series have a feature that allows you to mark a cache as found, then asks if you want to go to the next nearest cache. If you mark it as found it logs an entry in the calendar with the cache name. So at the end of the day when you sit down to log the caches you found all you need to do is look at your calendar.

Newer units add paperless caching features that allow you to see the entire cache page, log field notes and upload them to this website when you connect your GPS

The Lowrance Endura series adds cache filtering. You can filter caches on the unit by terrain, difficulty, type and size.