What did you not do, but were supposed to, just to go caching?

Hi all,

At 10 AM this morning I put into a crockpot $15 worth of ribs, bottle of BBQ sauce, sprinkled on some chopped up onion and out the door I went for errands, a few caches and walks in the wood with my son. Should have listed caches first, because that's what I had on my mind when we left. I returned about an hour ago to find no mouth watering aroma of ribs falling off the bone, but to a sun warmed house and a cold crockpot. I forgot to turn the #@%$ thing on!!

What did you not do or forget about, just to get out the door for some geocaching?

Hi all,

At 10 AM this morning I put into a crockpot $15 worth of ribs, bottle of BBQ sauce, sprinkled on some chopped up onion and out the door I went for errands, a few caches and walks in the wood with my son. Should have listed caches first, because that's what I had on my mind when we left. I returned about an hour ago to find no mouth watering aroma of ribs falling off the bone, but to a sun warmed house and a cold crockpot. I forgot to turn the #@%$ thing on!!

What did you not do or forget about, just to get out the door for some geocaching?

I forgot my GPS in the mad rush out the door once... and then there was the time I realized I didn't have my purse, about 30 miles from home...

On the first sunny day in February I booked a sick day off work to go caching. I knew in advance that the weather would be sunny, so a few days before, I casually booked the day off.

Here's the rub ... I hit a park that has around 10 caches in it and didn't manage to search for even one of them!

The park was absolutely full of muggle mommies with strollers and toddlers, Asian tour groups, and seniors with those wee little dogs they like so much. I have never seen anything like it.

After the first 4 locations I hit were unsearchable due to foot traffic, I finally gave up and just went for a walk through the upper ravine trails where none of them could get to. I did however find a great bluff on which I could see all the walkers a few hundred feet below me. I sat there for a half hour and ate my lunch. Not a complete waste, but I won't go caching there again unless the weather is terrible. Mommies, tourists, and seniors don't like the rain :D

I went in a rush to spend a weekend with my niece and do some caching.

Forgot my gps, that's how she got a new New Mio for 50 bucks. I would have spent more than 50 on the round trip to get my unit, and I would have done it too. So nice of her to pop for half so I didn't lose all that caching time.

Forgot to close the van door for a quick grab, that wasn't, and then went after 2 more because they where so close.

When I got back hours later I stood at the side of the road for another hour waving jumper cables at people.

Hi all,

Glad i'm not the only one. I did almost the same thing with a roast,,, turned on the oven to preheat it, seasoned the beef, wrapped it, then walked out to the garage to check something. While i was there, i got sidetracked and decided to work on a cache container idea that i have. Wasn't until about an hour and half later that i realized that i didn't put the roast in the oven.. We had dinner a bit late but it was sure good by then! :D

There have been many instances of "I should stay home and mop the floors and take care of other household things", etc etc etc, but instead my son and I go out caching. But darn it, when he's a grown up, he'll remember that time we almost fell off the car when we got the giggles while trying to grab a cache. Or the time he bravely walked across a crisscross of rebar, only to find a four-leaf clover in the cache. He's NOT going to remember how sparkling clean our floors were. Or weren't, in our case.

There have also been several times when I made a mental note for us to be back home by a certain time, so I could cook dinner. But then the "just one more cache" thing starts, and next thing you know we're in Trader Joe's looking for something fast for dinner. lol

Edited by Triskeles

There have been many instances of "I should stay home and mop the floors and take care of other household things", etc etc etc, but instead my son and I go out caching. But darn it, when he's a grown up, he'll remember that time we almost fell off the car when we got the giggles while trying to grab a cache. He's NOT going to remember how sparkling clean our floors were. Or weren't, in our case.

There's also been several times when I made a mental note for us to be back home by a certain time, so I can cook dinner. But then the "just one more cache" thing starts, and next thing you know we're in Trader Joe's looking for something fast for dinner. lol

This is SO my philosophy! Especially here in the PacNW, if it's a nice day I don't care WHAT I am supposed to be doing, I grab my little boys are we are outta here. They won't remember the clean floors or the done laundry or any of that junk, but they'll totally remember spending time together out in the sunshine.

We've been trying to renovate our house for two years now (we have 90 boxes of plank flooring in our garage) but we never have the fortitude to give up caching/camping weather to fix drywall or install floors. Bleh. My parents, whose philosophy has always been "first you pay, THEN you play" just tsk-tsk as we leave our unfinished house behind in search of another adventure. :DB)

A new cache dropped and I wanted to go after the FTF but I didn't want to hear my wife fuss about me leaving again. A minute after it dropped she told me to run and get some milk for dinner. Of course I was excited to rush out and get the milk so I ran by and made the FTF. Then I drove back home without any milk 25 minutes later when the store is literally on the corner of the entrance to my neighborhood. I realized this after I pulled back into the driveway so I had to dart back out after the milk. I got fussed at for taking too long but I was happy with my FTF.

Edited by cw1710

Got off work at 2 am, and instead of heading home to get some sleep before a decent travel day, I decided to go after a new cache that had just popped up a couple hours before hand. After an hour and a half of repositioning my car for the headlights (sans flashlight) and poking around in blackberry bushes, I just went home. No FTF for me. Still haven't mastered the art of explaining to the wife why I'm home at 3:45 instead of 10 after 2 in the morning.

Reading a few of these makes me laugh because I've been there and done that. I already got off work (early in the AM before the sun is up) and wanted to go after one or two, but a few hours later I'm getting home as the sun is already up and the GF is heading out the door for work. I got "the look" and figured I would hear about it when she got home, but it was worth it.

I have also called off work to make an event. It was a great event to pick for my first and I don't think the boss missed me to much that night. I am sure there will be more times like this in the future.

I work 3rd shift, after work occasionally I like to go hunt one or two. I went on a hunt the other day and forgot that the wife's car was in the shop and I was supposed to take the kids to school. We live in the country and wouldn't dream of having them actually walk the 1/8 of a mile up the driveway to the bus stop. LOL. The kids were happy, the wife not so much. LOL

We try to fit family caching in on a Saturday between the kid's out of school classes, which has been going well so far as we're new to the area. A couple of weeks ago we arrived at the riding school for one child's lesson, I didn't have any money on me, so as we arrived I let Mr F know he had to go to the office to pay. The lesson started, no sign of Mr F or our other child. Hm. 20 minutes later, still no sign. Right near the end of the 45 minute lesson, they turn up, child all muddy and himself with bramble cuts on his face. They just wouldn't say where they'd been 'it's a surprise!' was the best they could come up with (rotten liars!) Eventually they just couldn't keep it in any longer and had to tell me the adventure they'd had wrestling bushes and fighting off mud, and I was just secretly please that they were just as hooked as I am and I only missed a messy one. ;)

I work 3rd shift, after work occasionally I like to go hunt one or two. I went on a hunt the other day and forgot that the wife's car was in the shop and I was supposed to take the kids to school. We live in the country and wouldn't dream of having them actually walk the 1/8 of a mile up the driveway to the bus stop. LOL. The kids were happy, the wife not so much. LOL

That's great! ;)