Text Messages

buddhistmonk

Is it possible to get a TEXT Message the second a new cache comes out? :D If so how do you do it? I already chose to be e-mailed when new caches come out in my area but some people in my area are recieving a text message the second a new cache comes out and logging the FTF. How do I register for this feature, so I can score the FTF lol? :D

Is it possible to get a TEXT Message the second a new cache comes out? :D If so how do you do it? I already chose to be e-mailed when new caches come out in my area but some people in my area are recieving a text message the second a new cache comes out and logging the FTF. How do I register for this feature, so I can score the FTF lol? :D

Try this:

http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-email-...s/gateway-list/

in the notification you set up your cell number based on your provider's gateway address

see this list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_carri...ing_SMS_transit

Okay i kinda understand what i am looking at: Phone carriers and e-mail addresses but don't figure out how to out the info you gave me to make it work

you have notifications set up for new caches to go to your email address

instead of that email address you put for example "yourcellnumber@txt.bell.ca"...for the part after the @ you need to find your provider on the list and use the corresponding address

than when a new cache is published you will get an SMS with the details of that cache

alternately if you still can't figure it out, you can always call your provider and ask them to guide you through the process

but its pretty simple, i set mine up last week too

Edited by t4e

Is it possible to get a TEXT Message the second a new cache comes out? :laughing: If so how do you do it? I already chose to be e-mailed when new caches come out in my area but some people in my area are recieving a text message the second a new cache comes out and logging the FTF. How do I register for this feature, so I can score the FTF lol? ;)

Even as a Premium Member, the answer is no. :laughing:

You CAN get a text or email really soon after the cache is published as a premium member. :)

As I recall, only Platinum Members (and above) can get notifications in true real-time, since they are transmitted by neural implants, and don't rely on the email or text servers. :laughing:

Wow.... I could never figure out how to get an email to go to my test message instead where i would get to it faster. I tried sending it the way described in the links above for SMS and it got to me in about forty five seconds after i emailed it from my home computer to my text screen on my phone. thanks for those links as it will help me in other things like iphone apps that only mail your location to an email address.....now if i get hurt out in the field my emergency app will contact those via text message with my location instead of an email.

Cool

Thanks

Joe

Is it possible to get a TEXT Message the second a new cache comes out? :laughing: If so how do you do it? I already chose to be e-mailed when new caches come out in my area but some people in my area are recieving a text message the second a new cache comes out and logging the FTF. How do I register for this feature, so I can score the FTF lol? :laughing:

You CAN get a text or email really soon after the cache is published as a premium member. ;)

Unless your carrier decides that text messages don't really need to be delivered in a timely manner. Just last week I was getting delays of 2 hours on messages from my wife - and we're on the same network.

Is it possible to get a TEXT Message the second a new cache comes out? :laughing: If so how do you do it? I already chose to be e-mailed when new caches come out in my area but some people in my area are recieving a text message the second a new cache comes out and logging the FTF. How do I register for this feature, so I can score the FTF lol? ;)

NO what? :laughing:

You need to be a Premium Member to set up notifications.

I was confused by that too, but his tadpole status apparently over rides his premium member status. :laughing:

Hey, if you're still reading this, now we can hook you up with receiving the cache coordinates via another text message. You won't get a cache description or hints though.

I was confused by that too, but his tadpole status apparently over rides his premium member status. :laughing:

Hey, if you're still reading this, now we can hook you up with receiving the cache coordinates via another text message. You won't get a cache description or hints though.

What do you mean? There's still another way to do it?

No. I mean if you're sitting at a computer, and you get a cache alert email, you still have to go to geocaching.com to get coordinates for the cache.

If you're away from a computer, and want to do this all within the realm of text messaging, you can text GEOC ?GCXXXX to 41411 with (GCXXXX) being the format of the waypoint name you receive in the cache alert email. You will instantly receive a text message response with cache name, terrain/difficulty, size, and coordinates. No cache description though, that's too long for text messaging.

official Groundspeak instructions here.

No. I mean if you're sitting at a computer, and you get a cache alert email, you still have to go to geocaching.com to get coordinates for the cache.

If you're away from a computer, and want to do this all within the realm of text messaging, you can text GEOC ?GCXXXX to 41411 with (GCXXXX) being the format of the waypoint name you receive in the cache alert email. You will instantly receive a text message response with cache name, terrain/difficulty, size, and coordinates. No cache description though, that's too long for text messaging.

So GEOC would be the name of the Cache that just posted and I would email that to 41411?

So GEOC would be the name of the Cache that just posted and I would email that to 41411?

No. The last cache you found 2 days ago was called "A Cut Above". It's waypoint name is GC21YR3 - Do you see where you can see this waypoint name on the cache page, or when viewing that cache in a list, such as in a search?

If you send a text message to 41411 (an SMS short code, such as you would use to vote for American Idol or something), the contents of the text message being "GEOC ?GC21YR3" (no quotes, that's just for clarity here on the forum) you will receive the coordinates and other information I mentioned for that cache.

And of course the waypoint name of a new cache is contained within the new cache alerts you just set up for your phone. So you could get notified of a new cache, and get it's coordinates all via text messaging.

Thanks for the info! I've got it now. Once I get an E-mail that a new cache is out it will send me a text message. Then I text 41411 and enter the code "GEOC ?Waypoint name" (Minus the quotes) and I will get a text back with the coordinates.

Edited by buddhistmonk

Thanks for the info! I've got it now. Once I get an E-mail that a new cache is out it will send me a text message. Then I text 41411 and enter the code "GEOC ?Waypoint name" (Minus the quotes) and I will get a text back with the coordinates.

That is it!! Also, you can change the ? to a ! to receive the decrypted hint for any cache. Assuming it has one, of course.