To the coin buying/trading/selling public

tsunrisebey

I know I've said this before a couple times and beats the heck outta me where the old thread is but I think I'd like to mention this again because I seem to see this issue come up a couple times a year.

When you buy a coin(s), please, please, please look them over. If it hasd missing enamels, gems, or just looks like crap (other than the design :D), let your vendor know. It is the VENDOR'S responsibility to replace your coin if it is blemished. It is YOUR responsibility to check your coins.

Don't wait months down the road. Most vendors keep additional stock on hand for these types of issues and shippping replacements. Don't be shy or feel bad about it either. If you don't take care of it in a timely manner than you're SOL.

Here is where my beef is with people not checking their coins; buyer A doesn't check their coins, 6 months down the road they decide to ebay/trade the coin. The new owner receives a blemished coin and is not happy (understandably so). The person who is responsible for the coin is the person who just sold/traded it to you, NOT the vendor.

I say this because the latest incident and not the only one in the past couple of months, entered a coin in the math trade, sent it to the person who "won" it. When the new owner received it, they were unhappy because there were 2 sections of enamel missing. The person who entered the coin to be traded told the new owner to contact me to take care of it. WHAT????? The coin itself was sold about 6 months ago.

I don't have any of that coin version left and not only that but I have no idea of how the coin was handled in the past 6 months. Nor do I know of that person was the person who originally bought it. There are a number of unknowns here.

Coins with gems, these are the worst for getting damaged. They require additional care. CHECK the gems when you buy the coins and make sure they are there. Once it's traded/sold and shipped to someone else, there isn't anything I can do for you. Heck I'd bend over backwards for my customers but I have to draw the line somewhere if you know what I mean.

So please check your coins when you buy them from the vendor (step #1). If something is wrong let the vendor know. I'll totaly kiss your arse there to get you a good coin :blink: If you're gonna wait 3 months down the road when you're getting ready to ebay the coin, we'll it is no longer my problem.

...and if you're going to sell a coin on ebay or trade it away, shoot don't try to pass off a coin in crappy condition. Be honest.

Ok, I think I'm done now B)

tsun

Edited by tsunrisebey

Thank you Tsun,

I am having a coin made as we speak and I have every intention of checking mine out when I get them to make sure they are good before any of them leave my hands. I can however understand that sometimes a section does gt overlooked in the creating process or things don't get glued as well as they should and that should be caught as early as possible. ABSOLUTELY CHECK COINS WHEN YOU RECEIVE THEM FROM THE VENDOR!

I'm with you on this one. I received a batch of Coins once that contained a large percentage of errors. I knew right then that I would have to handle it directly with the vendor to get it resolved before I could offer any of them as gifts/trades. I decided to just let the vendor know of the problems, but keep the coins myself. I'll end up releasinmg them to travel instead of trading them. I only informed the vendor so they would be aware that the mint had produced a substandard product for them. They offered to replace all the coins for me. I wouldn't dream of asking them to do so more than a few weeks after shipping.

I wholely agree that receiving a coin that has blemish or mar can be a disappointment. I received a Geowoodstock tiedye coin in a lot purchase that looks great but what was missing or marred was the tracking number. I hold no malice toward the seller as it was a lot purchase and all the other coins were in top notch shape. I contacted the vendor and they requested photos to show the problem. My only problem was that it is difficult to get a clear photo of such small print. I sent them the best photos I could come up with and haven't heard back since. Looks like I have a nice keychain or watch fob :blink:

I agree with you to a point. I honestly believe that initially it is the responsibility of the vendor to provide the customer a quality made product. The vendor should conduct their own quality control once the product arrives from the mint. I understand that certain blemishes or the like can go unnoticed by one person, so mistakes will me made. If the vendor misses something during their QC inspection and the consumer happens to see the blemish then they can contact the vendor to fix the issue.

I agree with you to a point. I honestly believe that initially it is the responsibility of the vendor to provide the customer a quality made product. The vendor should conduct their own quality control once the product arrives from the mint. I understand that certain blemishes or the like can go unnoticed by one person, so mistakes will me made. If the vendor misses something during their QC inspection and the consumer happens to see the blemish then they can contact the vendor to fix the issue.

I think that's what the OP noted. If the vendor happens to ship a defective product, it should be replaced quickly. However if a buyer sits on the product for (in this case) months and it changes hands one or more times, he's arguing that it's become the buyer's responsibility.

tsun, why don't you publish a return policy that states returns are only accepted from the original buyer and must be done within some number of days? Of course this assumes you aren't already doing so :blink:

I think that's what the OP noted. If the vendor happens to ship a defective product, it should be replaced quickly. However if a buyer sits on the product for (in this case) months and it changes hands one or more times, he's arguing that it's become the buyer's responsibility.

tsun, why don't you publish a return policy that states returns are only accepted from the original buyer and must be done within some number of days? Of course this assumes you aren't already doing so :blink:

The OP only noted that it was the vendor's responsibility to fix the problem if the defect is noticed by the buyer. What I was getting at is that VENDOR's need to perform quality control before shipping coins. A business owner should care about the products it ships because if they don't then consumers won't keep coming back for more (well at least I wouldn't).

Not all vendor's perform quality control on their coins. It just comes straight to their doorstep and right into a mailer and on its way to the consumer.

I'm sure it's been said, but I'd say that both things are true.

That is: a vendor should look over his/her stock before it's shipped to make sure there aren't any defects. But a customer should check it carefully when it's received, too, because as has been pointed out, it's not uncommon for gems and the like to have problems during transit, or for the coin to experience other kind of damage (such as rubbing off parts of the plating) because it's jostled around.

It's up to the vendor and his/her replacement policy (which should be clearly stated) as to how it'll be handled. Some vendors may be completely willing to replace coins damaged in transit, some may be unable to (e.g., you've sold out and don't have any to replace the coin /with/). Some may offer refunds, or perhaps require that the customer buy insurance if the coins are damaged in transit.

What is totally not cool is for someone to not check, sell the item without noting any defects on the sales page, then tell the new owner that it's the original vendor's problem if there's an issue. I completely agree with Tsun that this is bogus.

So let me get this straight, so watch your saying is that a coin you made was sold, re-sold, traded, stolen, re-stolen back, traded and found in a cache and they want you to replace the blemish. Sounds reasonable to me! Where do I sign up for that... my 2004 California has a scuff mark, can I please have that replace! :D

Oh and Tsun, I 'won' a purple Earth Turtle from you, and even though I knew going into it that the tracking number was scratched out... I have now decided to ebay it and to maximize my profit I would please like you to replace it so I can say 'trackable' Thanks in advance! B)

:blink:

Hrm, somewhat related, when I received my coins, they were in little plastic packets. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that people would prefer them to be in the plastic packets since they were purchasing them "new". However, it means I can't check each coin to make sure they're okay as the plastic packets tend to tear when they are opened. (I'm not talking about the flips)

So, is it better for me to open them all or leave them in the packets?

Hrm, somewhat related, when I received my coins, they were in little plastic packets. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that people would prefer them to be in the plastic packets since they were purchasing them "new". However, it means I can't check each coin to make sure they're okay as the plastic packets tend to tear when they are opened. (I'm not talking about the flips)

So, is it better for me to open them all or leave them in the packets?

The GOD JUL 2009 coin came in those small extra plasticpackets. I had to sneak them all open to check the coin was ok, well I wanted to do that and it was a good thing I did, two coins had 1 spot each with the enamel loose on so I am glad I checked them all. I told the vendor and they refunded those coins without me even asking for it.

I also checked my kangaroocoins to see that every field was covered as it should be. I want to make sure I give a "spotless" con away especially if I am going to sell it.

If the coin comes in a plastic packet it is often easy to sneak them open to check the coin, I don´t think there is a problem with that beeing torn a tiny little in one side. I think it is worse if the coin is taped to a paper or envelope and just taped over the plasticflip. The tape leaves sticky icky gluetapemarks and often destroys the flip when I take it out of the package. I always wrap the coin up in papertissue or something like that before I tape it to a card when I send out my trades. I got serviettes with frogs on them for christmas and those are just perfect for that.

So let´s just say I try to make sure I always send out a nice spotless coin.

grodan Karin

I think it is worse if the coin is taped to a paper or envelope and just taped over the plasticflip. The tape leaves sticky icky gluetapemarks and often destroys the flip when I take it out of the package. I always wrap the coin up in papertissue or something like that before I tape it to a card when I send out my trades.

Oh, amen, AMEN! I have been meaning to post something like this. Please please wrap the flips in tissue, paper, even plastic wrap, before applying tape. The residue comes off okay with Goo-Gone, but it's a pain in the rear.

For what it's worth, I totally don't mind if the flip arrives without the thin plastic overwrap, if you need to take that off to check the coin. I'd be interested to hear if anyone feels that this destroys the "mint" quality of the coin (similar to taking a toy out of its original packaging, shades of Stinky Pete from "Toy Story" here), but I personally don't mind one bit (and know that several vendors do this anyway, to insert their vendor card in the flip).

The OP only noted that it was the vendor's responsibility to fix the problem if the defect is noticed by the buyer. What I was getting at is that VENDOR's need to perform quality control before shipping coins. A business owner should care about the products it ships because if they don't then consumers won't keep coming back for more (well at least I wouldn't).

Not all vendor's perform quality control on their coins. It just comes straight to their doorstep and right into a mailer and on its way to the consumer.

(Kelly)

When you ship 500 or more coins at a time, please let me know how puilling out each coin works for you. How many times have I pulled an entire coin design or version of a coin because it was flawed? There was the ET 2008 design that was screwed up and I made everyone wait. The Dragonfly Talisman Johnny Cache Edition was pulled from even being sold when they came out and then there was the gem problem with them where I replaced alot of coins. I cheked every one of them before they left.

However when the majoirty of coins you ship look good and you've stared at them for hours while packing a good 500 at a time, you are bound to miss one. Heck, I even pack a few orders wrong because I'm up late packing and shipping.

I think your statement works for someone who makes a personal coin once a year and sells a few and trades a few as it's realisitc to be "perfect" in your quality control but let's not assume that those of us packing hundreds of coins at a time for hours strait aren't looking at th coins because I DO as they are going in envelopes. I may miss something really small on the coin or it may get damaged enroute.

So again my point still stands, make sure you check your coins when they get to you because things go wrong in shipments too, coins do get damaged and it doesn't mean the vendor did improper quality control. Is it really that hard to do?

tsun

Edited by tsunrisebey

Being that Tsuncorp® is a multi-national conglomerate enterprise, with offices on 6 of 7 continents, and is traded under the symbol of TSUN on the Nasdaq...surely you have the resources at your disposal to replace hundreds, if not thousands, of defective products at any time. There should be no questioning the consumer here...just have one of your franchisees make a call to one of your many Hong Kong distribution centers, and FedEx the poor bass-turd another measly geocoin FOR FREE already! What could it possibly cost you? What's the matter...afraid you might be shorted a teaspoon of caviar on your luxury yacht, Tsun?

You greedy CEO's of these large geocoin monopolies have absolutely no regard for the plight of the common collector, do you? DO YOU???? You purposely get these innocent people hooked on your "coin crack", and then take full advantage of their addiction by charging outrageous retail prices and exorbitant shipping fees. Then, you won't stand by the quality your products by replacing them. Cripes, it's no wonder your industry is targeted for reform by the Obama administration. It's nothing short of a cartel.

This reminds me of when McDonalds® burnt the edges of my Egg McMuffin® and my lawyers advised me to settle out of court for a paltry $25,000. Imagine that puny punishment for such an egregious violation of my consumer rights! Not me, I pressed on with the lawsuit full-force, and I dadgum well got what I wanted. The manager of the store now has to drive-thru MY driveway and deliver me a non-burnt Egg McMuffin Value Meal® each and every morning for the next 5 years. I was going to shoot for 10, but I wanted to appear to be reasonable. I'm saving that settlement award for when Wendy's tries to mix that dadgum new vanilla crap in with my usual chocolate Frosty®.

:blink:

ETA for any dropped jaws...of course, I'm kidding. I actually prefer Vanilla Frosties. :D

Edited by YemonYime

Being that Tsuncorp® is a multi-national conglomerate enterprise, with offices on 6 of 7 continents, and is traded under the symbol of TSUN on the Nasdaq...surely you have the resources at your disposal to replace hundreds, if not thousands, of defective products at any time. There should be no questioning the consumer here...just have one of your franchisees make a call to one of your many Hong Kong distribution centers, and FedEx the poor bass-turd another measly geocoin FOR FREE already! What could it possibly cost you? What's the matter...afraid you might be shorted a teaspoon of caviar on your luxury yacht, Tsun?

You greedy CEO's of these large geocoin monopolies have absolutely no regard for the plight of the common collector, do you? DO YOU???? You purposely get these innocent people hooked on your "coin crack", and then take full advantage of their addiction by charging outrageous retail prices and exorbitant shipping fees. Then, you won't stand by the quality your products by replacing them. Cripes, it's no wonder your industry is targeted for reform by the Obama administration. It's nothing short of a cartel.

This reminds me of when McDonalds® burnt the edges of my Egg McMuffin® and my lawyers advised me to settle out of court for a paltry $25,000. Imagine that puny punishment for such an egregious violation of my consumer rights! Not me, I pressed on with the lawsuit full-force, and I dadgum well got what I wanted. The manager of the store now has to drive-thru MY driveway and deliver me a non-burnt Egg McMuffin Value Meal® each and every morning for the next 5 years. I was going to shoot for 10, but I wanted to appear to be reasonable. I'm saving that settlement award for when Wendy's tries to mix that dadgum new vanilla crap in with my usual chocolate Frosty®.

:D

You tell her Yime!

I would have spoken up myself, but I'm afraid she would with hold the crack...er coins from me!

Can anybody spare a coin? :blink:

tsun, why don't you publish a return policy that states returns are only accepted from the original buyer and must be done within some number of days? Of course this assumes you aren't already doing so B)

(Kelly)

When you ship 500 or more coins at a time, please let me know how puilling out each coin works for you. How many times have I pulled an entire coin design or version of a coin because it was flawed? There was the ET 2008 design that was screwed up and I made everyone wait. The Dragonfly Talisman Johnny Cache Edition was pulled from even being sold when they came out and then there was the gem problem with them where I replaced alot of coins. I cheked every one of them before they left.

However when the majoirty of coins you ship look good and you've stared at them for hours while packing a good 500 at a time, you are bound to miss one. Heck, I even pack a few orders wrong because I'm up late packing and shipping.

I think your statement works for someone who makes a personal coin once a year and sells a few and trades a few as it's realisitc to be "perfect" in your quality control but let's not assume that those of us packing hundreds of coins at a time for hours strait aren't looking at th coins because I DO as they are going in envelopes. I may miss something really small on the coin or it may get damaged enroute.

So again my point still stands, make sure you check your coins when they get to you because things go wrong in shipments too, coins do get damaged and it doesn't mean the vendor did improper quality control. Is it really that hard to do?

tsun

Wasn't me (Kelly) that posted last night, it was my other half :blink: . I don't really think he meant to imply that you yourself don't perform quality control. I think he was just saying in general that both ends need to do their part in checking over the coin.

I'm off to rest now and try to get over whatever it is my son brought home from school :D

It would be helpful to have a list to know what to check. Most of my purchases until recently have been for wild release/cache gifting or my personal collection. But am just getting to the point of having a couple of extra coins for trading and would hate to have the recipient disappointed after a trade. This is what I have so far:

1. Version/metal matches what was ordered or traded

2. Missing or incorrectly colored enamel areas.

3. Loose or missing gems.

4. Scratches or other blemishes. Also oxidization or surface deterioration, if it is not a new release.

5. Check for activation and/or log history for irregularities if activated

6. Location of activation code retrieval and, sadly, status of the site

7. Existence and prettiness of the icon. :)

Anyone have suggestions for additions or changes?

-----------------------------------

Ah, Tsun... hate to bother you...

My Lump of Coal 08 Earth Turtle is blue with silver finish. Can I get a replacement? <_<

Well, Tsuncorp®'s return policy is clearly spelled out in the Send a Coin to Tsun thread. You activate and wild the coin to her and she will add the replacement and send them back. You even get to keep the original defective one when they both return to you! But you have to be prompt--older activations than 2010 or used coins are not covered. ;)

Or you could trade it to me for a perfect Maui Edition Earth Turtle Oceania. I've always liked blue on silver. :laughing:

I love you guys with a sense of humor! You're my type of people :grin:

Yes, I secretly have my company being traded on the NASDAQ, you can buy your shares directly from me :laughing: I don't have much time these days being the CEO of my multi-national conglomerate to mess with the geocoin peons here in the forums but I shall grace you all with one more post in this thread <_<

Yime, fish eggs just don't sound appealing however a little nutella spread is just my thing ;)

Kelly, tell Rick I'm going to kick his hiney then :) !

For those that requested replacements, they're in the mail as we speak :laughing:

My Quality Control boils down to this; I'll check it on the way out, you check it on the way in. I don't hear from you within a couple weeks of the coins arrival, I'm thinking you're a happy camper. If you pick up your tent and move to a new spot and then you try to come back when the new one is filled, you're out of luck. (What a great analogy huh?) :laughing: hahaha

Ok, I've got a bad cold and I need my beauty sleep, so I gots to get me some soup and tea and hit the hay.

tsun

I love you guys with a sense of humor! You're my type of people :grin:

Yes, I secretly have my company being traded on the NASDAQ, you can buy your shares directly from me :laughing: I don't have much time these days being the CEO of my multi-national conglomerate to mess with the geocoin peons here in the forums but I shall grace you all with one more post in this thread <_<

Yime, fish eggs just don't sound appealing however a little nutella spread is just my thing ;)

Kelly, tell Rick I'm going to kick his hiney then :) !

For those that requested replacements, they're in the mail as we speak :laughing:

My Quality Control boils down to this; I'll check it on the way out, you check it on the way in. I don't hear from you within a couple weeks of the coins arrival, I'm thinking you're a happy camper. If you pick up your tent and move to a new spot and then you try to come back when the new one is filled, you're out of luck. (What a great analogy huh?) :laughing: hahaha

Ok, I've got a bad cold and I need my beauty sleep, so I gots to get me some soup and tea and hit the hay.

tsun

SANY0141-1.jpg

will trade for stock shares!

ILYK

It would be helpful to have a list to know what to check. Most of my purchases until recently have been for wild release/cache gifting or my personal collection. But am just getting to the point of having a couple of extra coins for trading and would hate to have the recipient disappointed after a trade. This is what I have so far:

4. Scratches or other blemishes. Also oxidization or surface deterioration, if it is not a new release.

7. Existence and prettiness of the icon. ;)

this list is a good idea to review when your geocoin arrives. i would like to add that just because a geocoin you are interested in obtaining is "unactivated", this doesn't automatically mean "mint/pristine/new" condition. before you spend your hard earned cash on a geocoin, ask the seller/trader to share an honest opinion and information about any blemishes, damage, of defects. with that said, i have been fortunate that most buyers/traders have been happy with the geocoins i've provided, however, we should all remember that these geocoins are not being made by the best mint companies in the world, or by the best coin makers, or with the best equipment that money can buy. these geocoins are basically a "jeep" model and not a "lexus" luxury vehicle, they are built to take the beating of a geocaching world. if they are beautiful or highly detailed, that is just extra icing on the cake! i don't expect the quality of a "commemorative high priced gold piece" when i receive a geocoin. as mentioned before, they are not the best made of items, they are handled by quite a few people at the factory, they are sometimes hap-hazardly loaded into boxes, they travel thousands of miles across the oceans in a cargo hold, abused by customs and postal employees in every nation before arriving at the distributor for yet another abusive journey through the postal system before they finally reach the vendors hands. wow! it truly is a miracle if they survive all of this in a "pristine/mint" condition indeed! so if these little "jeeps" have a few minor battle marks, i consider it a badge of honor! i will check for obvious defects and mint errors and replace these before selling, but if there is a small dent or a scratch, please be forgiving, as this little metal warrior has been through quite an ODYSSEY VOYAGE before it graced your palm. <_<

I've started offloading any non-antiqued copper coins I have, since they seem to oxidize so quickly, and I do not like to send them out once they do oxidize.

Case in point, in the math trade, when I went to send out one of my copper coins, it had started oxidizing, and I felt pretty poopy about it, but wasn't sure what to do.

7. Existence and prettiness of the icon. ;)

this list is a good idea to review when your geocoin arrives. i would like to add that just because a geocoin you are interested in obtaining is "unactivated", this doesn't automatically mean "mint/pristine/new" condition. before you spend your hard earned cash on a geocoin, ask the seller/trader to share an honest opinion and information about any blemishes, damage, of defects. with that said, i have been fortunate that most buyers/traders have been happy with the geocoins i've provided, however, we should all remember that these geocoins are not being made by the best mint companies in the world, or by the best coin makers, or with the best equipment that money can buy. these geocoins are basically a "jeep" model and not a "lexus" luxury vehicle, they are built to take the beating of a geocaching world. if they are beautiful or highly detailed, that is just extra icing on the cake! i don't expect the quality of a "commemorative high priced gold piece" when i receive a geocoin. as mentioned before, they are not the best made of items, they are handled by quite a few people at the factory, they are sometimes hap-hazardly loaded into boxes, they travel thousands of miles across the oceans in a cargo hold, abused by customs and postal employees in every nation before arriving at the distributor for yet another abusive journey through the postal system before they finally reach the vendors hands. wow! it truly is a miracle if they survive all of this in a "pristine/mint" condition indeed! so if these little "jeeps" have a few minor battle marks, i consider it a badge of honor! i will check for obvious defects and mint errors and replace these before selling, but if there is a small dent or a scratch, please be forgiving, as this little metal warrior has been through quite an ODYSSEY VOYAGE before it graced your palm. <_<

You are right; I should have worded that better, as the intention was well beyond the superficial. Not having ever joined the formal dining room no one can use set, my personal collection coins are going to be enjoyed, fingerprinted, handled and likely even occasionally accidentally dropped, until they have a lovely patina. :) No such stuff for the traders though. I promise.

I have some questions concerning "mint condition" and coin trading. This topic seems to match best, though it mostly relates to the vendor - coin-creator relationship. My question is about trader - trader relationship. Mods, feel free to split and/or merge if you prefer.

In coin trading, what kind of conditions count toward (non) "mint condition"? I'll show some examples discovered in the forum and my coins. I hope I won't offend anyone. I absolutely love these coins - no complaints. Please don't mind the specific coins, just the type of "very minor flaws". I'm hoping to learn what kind of details the trading community cares about. I wouldn't want something that seems irrelevant to me, to disappoint someone I trade with.

Small piece of metal missing at the corner:

6ea0e0222570491f88db21e.jpg

Not completely coloured in a very small area:

20110513222625.jpg

Small scratch: (Sorry, can't completely censor this image... :))

20110513222836.jpg

Darker material showing through (?):

20110513223217.jpg

I'm glad you brought this thread to the fore. Very useful info here. Thanks.

I haven't traded before and had not considered this kind of thing. Coin missions are a kind of trade though, I had been thinking of them as gifts, but the condition of the coin is just as important there too.

The first pic is the kind of thing to send back if you're the first buyer.(I would probably just send a pic to the gender and give them the choice of whether to recall as I like that little defect.) All of those are examples of things that should be shown clearly if the item is being resold, but a scratched coin can't be resold 'as new'.

Await others' responses with interest.

I've started offloading any non-antiqued copper coins I have, since they seem to oxidize so quickly, and I do not like to send them out once they do oxidize.

Case in point, in the math trade, when I went to send out one of my copper coins, it had started oxidizing, and I felt pretty poopy about it, but wasn't sure what to do.

Shiny copper coins oxidise so fast :( That's why I advise EPOXY!! Love that epoxy, keeps them in pristine condition (I should do an ad...)

You are right; I should have worded that better, as the intention was well beyond the superficial. Not having ever joined the formal dining room no one can use set, my personal collection coins are going to be enjoyed, fingerprinted, handled and likely even occasionally accidentally dropped, until they have a lovely patina. No such stuff for the traders though. I promise

I have done some evil things with my coins (like dunked them in seawater so I could win a photo competition :ph34r: ) but I totally agree with Tsun - take some repsonsibility!

Although that said - I know that my version of 'defect' is very different to others versions of 'defective'. A certain person (who shall not be named) gets out the cotton gloves and magnifying glass, whereas I give coins a quick glance - only noticing the glaringly obvious....