Review : My new GeoBag

hofy67

I felt I was in the need of a new GeoBag this winter as I was not fully utilizing my last bag.

There where pouches that did not have anything in them, the water bottle holder was not being used, it did not fit into the console of the GeoCar, etc.

I started out in search of something that would hold all the basics. Basically a go bag, something I could grab and hit the caches. (We keep a fully stocked tub in the trunk of the GeoCar for all our other caching needs.)

I finally settled on the Maxpedition Monkey Combat Admin Pouch designed by the MilspecMonkey. (Follow the link for dimensions and full write up by the Monkey.)

This is what it looks like new out of the package. (Mine is the same foliage as this.)

maxpedition-mcap-foliage03.jpg

This is mine set up with velcro patches added.

mmcap1.jpg

I added a strap that I wove out of 550 paracord and attached using Maxpedition's Web Dominator clips.

web_dominator-1.jpg

Inside the ID holder area I keep some mini flyers describing what Geocaching is all about. I will be adding a GeoID card also. There are also spare cache logs behind the flyers.

mmcap2.jpg

Opening the main flap reveals all the pockets. There are 5 of them. The photos below will help identify them and the items placed in them.

mmcap3.jpg

continued...

...continued

The contents of each pocket are outlined in the color of the pocket they rest in.

mmcap4.jpg

maxpedition-monkey-combat-main1.jpg

maxpedition-monkey-combat-middle1.jpg

maxpedition-monkey-combat-frontal1.jpg

The small pocket that I do not use.

maxpedition-monkey-combat-small1.jpg

The red pocket holds the 9LED flashlight, Delorme PN-30, and Leatherman.

The green pocket holds the Gamin Nuvi and 4 AA batteries.

The blue pocket is for the notebook, pen, marker and inspection mirror.

The yellow pocket holds the GeoCoins and small Travel Bugs and a spare car key.

The only additon that is not pictured is a RollyPoly dump pouch for holding larger Travel Bugs we find.

That bag looks really nice, and so well organized! Whenever I get my geobag all nice and neat, it seems to get filled full of miscellaneous junk within a short time!

That was the problem with the other bag. The extra space and things did not get put back in the proper place and extra junk started to accumulate.

Do you have a link with instructions on how to weave a strap like you made?

Here you go. I only used 3 loops instead of the 4 that TIAT uses.

It works out to 1 foot of cord = 1 Inch of strap/belt with the 3 loop.

(I used around 45' of cord and ended up with a 41" strap.)

As you can see at the end of the video, the belt will come apart and give you some emergancy cord.

As you can see at the end of the video, the belt will come apart and give you some emergancy cord.

With a good crochet hook, those could be whipped out in a few minutes.

Thanks for the vid.

Thanks! I bookmarked that video. Now to go practice.

I was a little put off by the pouch when I saw the video by MilSpecMonkey, but your review convinced me that I should at least take a look at this in person. Do you have photos of you wearing it?

And thanks for answering my question regarding the Thermite Versipack in the other thread.

I have to model, again? :(

I'll see what I can do. The strap is a little short and I want to weave up a new one that is longer. I just need to go get some more paracord. I'll also include some shots of it in the console of my car.

I was a little put off by the pouch when I saw the video by MilSpecMonkey

Yeah, same here.

I hadnt checked out the links, just the pics in the thread. Just checked out the video and the read the product webpage. That guy is kinda nutz.

From watching the video, I have some mixed thoughts on the use of the product on a person in combat. But I think it would be excellent on my assault pack both here in Iraq and my assault back while hiking and geocaching.

I read the guy's bio, he does civilian contractor work with training teams under Army Games Project- they do a lot of amazing behind-the-scenes work helping put the latest data from combat theater into training of units getting ready to deploy. They play OpFor (Opposition Forces) in training scenarios, they make sure our computer simulators reflect situations we are likely to encounter. With the military busy with 2 wars, its guys like him that help us get the best training we can get without bogging down an additional military unit to help others train.

That looks like a nice little bag, but it's kind of spendy for what it does.

When I bought my versipack clone that was discussed in the other thread, I also picked up it's baby brother for eight or nine bucks. It's awesome for just taking the necessities for a quick cache find. It comes in several different color variants.

AS639.jpg

Edited by sbell111

When I bought my versipack clone that was discussed in the other thread, I also picked up it's baby brother for eight or nine bucks. It's awesome for just taking the necessities for a quick cache find. It comes in several different color variants.

AS639.jpg

where can one get the clone pictured above?

AS639.jpg

where can one get the clone pictured above?
Try here. Think I saw 'em on eBlah, too. . .

Maaannn!!!! All these bags are cool!! But I don't know if I really have a need for one.

Second thought. I just looked down and saw the 1 gal zip lock bag I carry TBs and a few extra things out to the truck every time I go caching. I guess I do have at least one use for a bag.

For the trail a couple of my friends wear fishing vests. Something like this.

fishingvest.jpg

...continued

mmcap4.jpg

The contents of each pocket are outlined in the color of the pocket they rest in.

Oh, man!! I SO need to map out my pack like that!! And store the picture in the outside pocket so I can get to it easily. It can take me up to 20 minutes to find my flashlight sometimes. You don't wanna know about the spare blinky. Edited by knowschad

I had originally had a bag that size, but in my adventures I realized that it was just too small. Keep in mind, I enjoy the out-of-the-way, hike all day type caches. There was never enough room for the cache gear you have listed, plus a first aid kit, lunches if necessary, printouts of the caches in question, swag and other trinkets, and of course extra clothing since rain seems to never deter me from getting out.

Instead, I caught a back to a school sale and picked up a reasonably priced backpack. Has more pockets that I probably couldn't ever use, which is great because it allows for expansion in my caching arsenal. Also, the large main compartment makes it ideal to stealthily transport a new cache to a hiding spot, rather than carry it in plain sight. And I'm even considering toting an old laptop loaded with GSAK this year. Since I spend more time hiking to the cache than looking for it, it's extremely frustrating when I have to DNF and try all over again, just because I didnt have quite enough info.

What impresses me the most though, is the pack is made of a carhartt type material, which makes it very durable and rip/tear resistant, and water repellent also.

But, thats just me. Everyone has a different setup they like, and whatever works for you, I say go for it!

... And I'm even considering toting an old laptop loaded with GSAK this year. Since I spend more time hiking to the cache than looking for it, it's extremely frustrating when I have to DNF and try all over again, just because I didnt have quite enough info.
GSAK + PDA (or itouch/iphone) will solve this problem much more conveniently than a laptop.

Thank you for sharing your photos :laughing: Very neat :laughing:

I've GOT to get something new. I'm currently using a backpack, which is great...until I have to bushwhack somewhere - then I get strung up on branches like a marionette. My stuff would definitely not fit in that little bag though :/ I cache with multiple small children so have to bring some extras ;) I might take a peek at the one posted a bit lower in the thread.

Thank you for sharing your photos :laughing: Very neat :laughing:

I've GOT to get something new. I'm currently using a backpack, which is great...until I have to bushwhack somewhere - then I get strung up on branches like a marionette. My stuff would definitely not fit in that little bag though :/ I cache with multiple small children so have to bring some extras ;) I might take a peek at the one posted a bit lower in the thread.

You might like the one that was discussed in the previous thread. I do.

AS520.jpg

Edited by sbell111
GSAK + PDA (or itouch/iphone) will solve this problem much more conveniently than a laptop.

Or even a Nuvi with one of the paperless marcos. That's what I use.

Yeah but that would require purchasing additional equipment. I already have the laptop laying around for free, with no other use for it really.

UPDATE to fix broken photo links

I felt I was in the need of a new GeoBag this winter as I was not fully utilizing my last bag.

There where pouches that did not have anything in them, the water bottle holder was not being used, it did not fit into the console of the GeoCar, etc.

I started out in search of something that would hold all the basics. Basically a go bag, something I could grab and hit the caches. (We keep a fully stocked tub in the trunk of the GeoCar for all our other caching needs.)

I finally settled on the Maxpedition Monkey Combat Admin Pouch designed by the MilspecMonkey. (Follow the link for dimensions and full write up by the Monkey.)

This is what it looks like new out of the package. (Mine is the same foliage as this.)

maxpedition-mcap-foliage03.jpg

This is mine set up with velcro patches added.

mmcap1.jpg

I added a strap that I wove out of 550 paracord and attached using Maxpedition's Web Dominator clips.

web_dominator-1.jpg

Inside the ID holder area I keep some mini flyers describing what Geocaching is all about. I will be adding a GeoID card also. There are also spare cache logs behind the flyers.

mmcap2.jpg

Opening the main flap reveals all the pockets. There are 5 of them. The photos below will help identify them and the items placed in them.

mmcap3.jpg

continued...

UPDATE to fix broken pic links

...continued

mmcap4.jpg

maxpedition-monkey-combat-main1.jpg

maxpedition-monkey-combat-middle1.jpg

maxpedition-monkey-combat-frontal1.jpg

The small pocket that I do not use.

maxpedition-monkey-combat-small1.jpg

The red pocket holds the 9LED flashlight, Delorme PN-30, and Leatherman.

The green pocket holds the Gamin Nuvi and 4 AA batteries.

The blue pocket is for the notebook, pen, marker and inspection mirror.

The yellow pocket holds the GeoCoins and small Travel Bugs and a spare car key.

The only additon that is not pictured is a RollyPoly dump pouch for holding larger Travel Bugs we find.

Edited by hofy67