Thanks for making my life harder Jeremy!!

I was doing laundry today and I kept finding really odd items in Lost One's clothes. Wads of string, broken toys, various wrappers. I finally asked him what was up and his answer was:

I was Trashing Out the playground!!

Just when you think they don't listen they prove you wrong!! Now I'll have to check all his pockets before doing laundry. icon_biggrin.gif

smile02.gif We're all here, because we're not 'all there'.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Hiding a cache in a messy bedroom seems like a perfect idea to me..... of course.. an even better one would be padlocking it and not giving him the key until the room was actually clean...

It's horrible the things we hated our parents for doing to us as kids are so funny now to do to our own! LOL

I think if Wander Lost has the smarts to teach his child trashing out, he has the smarts to teach his child what's yucky or sharp. But as a word of caution it's a scientific fact that children don't learn disgust until the age of 7. So what's yucky to you might be pretty interesting to a child.

I cache, therefore I am.

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by McKenzie Clan:

The other day I noticed my son Nicholas (4) loading up an empty mini-pringles can full of little trinkets.

Asked him what he is doing... "Making a cache Dad!"

Turns out he has "hidden" 4 of them in his room!

LOL

And now you've gone and posted them on this site, we'll all have to come arond and log them.

Although, either he hasn't followed the guidelines on cache distance, or you've got one huge house icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by McKenzie Clan:

The other day I noticed my son Nicholas (4) loading up an empty mini-pringles can full of little trinkets.

Asked him what he is doing... "Making a cache Dad!"

Turns out he has "hidden" 4 of them in his room!

LOL

When we went backpacking this summer my four year old insisted on taking some empty film cannisters to make caches out of. He filled them up with M&M's and made Mom and Dad go cache hunting. And yes, we found all the cannisters before hiking out.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

If the girls are bored and we're stuck in the house due to bad weather, we have entertained them for hours (and I literally mean HOURS) by hiding and rehiding a cache somewhere in the house for them to find.

They love the secrecy of staying in their rooms until we complete the hide, then we send them on their way with the old yellow Gecko (with a fake arrow on a piece of tape on it) to guide them.

We try to keep it to one room at a time. Usually they come ask for us to point the arrow in the 'real direction' of the hide when they get frustrated after looking for a while.

Sometimes, it boils down to a 'warm', 'cold', 'hot' thing too.

But really, don't underestimate what your kids pick up and actually enjoy doing from the example you set.

If the girls are bored and we're stuck in the house due to bad weather, we have entertained them for hours (and I literally mean HOURS) by hiding and rehiding a cache somewhere in the house for them to find.

They love the secrecy of staying in their rooms until we complete the hide, then we send them on their way with the old yellow Gecko (with a fake arrow on a piece of tape on it) to guide them.

We try to keep it to one room at a time. Usually they come ask for us to point the arrow in the 'real direction' of the hide when they get frustrated after looking for a while.

Sometimes, it boils down to a 'warm', 'cold', 'hot' thing too.

But really, don't underestimate what your kids pick up and actually enjoy doing from the example you set.

We played a game just like this over Thanksgiving with my cousins's two boys, 8 and 9 years old. They asked me if I wanted to play hide and seek and I don't bend and fit into cupboards the way I used to, so I suggested we hide an object instead. I had taken them geocaching that day for the first time. We called it Cache and Go Seek. We hid a foot long beanie snake, and it hides very well in many places. The seekers hid in the bathroom and were given left or right as directions coming out the door. If Dad was watching the news it became upper or lower, using the family room a few steps down from the kitchen as lower. When a seeker finds the cache, they pretend to still be looking long enough to find a seat, and sit down letting the rest know they already found it. Last one standing gets frustrated! But it's loads of fun. More fun than hide and seek! The idea of the GPS with the fake arrow sounds like fun too.

The kids really do get into the whole indoor cache thing, and it's a great time killer and boredom reducer on these winter days. The fake arrow was the only way we could figure to use the Gecko indoors. They played along with me just fine, even though they know that's not how it really works. It's great when the kids will indulge my little fantasies....

As I was getting out the box of Cheerios the other day, I saw an empty peanut butter jar in the pantry on the shelf. It was filled with animals and crayons. Seems someone hid a cache in there a week or so ago, and forgot where she'd left it! When I pointed it out to her she puts her hands on her 4 year old hips and says "YOU weren't supposed to find that! That was for Mommy!"

Edited by Homerz