Scuba diving caches

Fox_Trot

I saw this attribute and was bewildered, so i then set up a search for some close ones, or i should say...the closest to me. And i found some, crazy. So the question i have is or am wondering about is purely the type of experience to expect... some information about these would be nice, like do they make submergable water GPS devices and are they needed for these? also, can you find these without scuba stuff? the whole thing just makes me wonder and think....any help with information would be great....

thanks guys

:)

I've never done one but I know people who have set some up. Generally the GPS guides you to a spot on the surface and you dive down from there. No GPS use is required underwater (or possible from what I know of GPS technology).

Some may require SCUBA, some might be findable with a snorkel and flippers and some can be reached by simply holding your breath and taking the plunge. I know of one that requires a deep diving submarine. It all depends on the cache.

We made a "5" cache run a few years ago with another cacher. One was underwater.

As Brian said, we got a ball-park estimate of where to be and searched from there. Took a while, but found it.

We used basic snorkeling gear, but because of the season, we froze our cans off. <_<

Can't say why (don't want to ruin it), but a guy with scuba gear couldn't find it.

The contents inside the container were wet, even though it wasn't out long when we got it.

I'd think one under water a good length of time would require a more expensive set-up. Maybe an Olympus case or high-end Underwater Kinetics or Pelican box. It'd need to be tethered or fixed to an unmoveable object, otherwise the current, tide or rushing water from rains/thaws would move it much too far from GZ.

Three years ago, I found an ammocan underwater. Amazed to find that contents were dry. The cache is still there, but not sure if it's the same container.

No matter HOW good the container is though, it's integrity is still dependant on folks resealing it correctly.

Have fun !

Cache safe.

So the question i have is or am wondering about is purely the type of experience to expect... some information about these would be nice, like do they make submergable water GPS devices and are they needed for these?

A scuba cache doesn't necessarily mean that the final is underwater. Maybe there is just a stage of a multi or a question to answer 25 meters below the surface. Definitely something which requires special equipment (hence T5). Setting up a final underwater is possible but complicated. There are boards especially for divers where you can write underwater. (A logbook is required by the guidelines!)

GermanSailor

deep diving submarine? whats the GC number?

link

I want to put one of those mini ammo cans on the ISS.

Just for interest: which coords have the ISS?

You would have to publish the ephemeris instead of coordinates. At 18,000 miles per hour, it would be difficult to keep up with the traveling cache.

This conversation was really prophetic: GC1BE91 International Space Station

Published February 3

(But there are allready other threads regarding this cache)

bene66

I saw this attribute and was bewildered, so i then set up a search for some close ones, or i should say...the closest to me. And i found some, crazy. So the question i have is or am wondering about is purely the type of experience to expect... some information about these would be nice, like do they make submergable water GPS devices and are they needed for these? also, can you find these without scuba stuff? the whole thing just makes me wonder and think....any help with information would be great....

thanks guys

;)

I found my first scuba cache last year. I wouldn't recommend finding it with out scuba gear as you could only see a couple of feet in front of your face plus is was at 40' and the water was very cold.

Check out the cache and my story.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...3f-663f34a18fda