Geocaching Virtues Geocoin

GeocoinGuy

It's time to bust out the new coin -

You all asked for it - a coin design that is TOTALLY ABOUT GEOCACHING!

This behemoth is 2" in diameter, tri-leveled with standard PMS and Translucent enamels. It explains 16 of the many virtues of geocaching and is a must have for any geocoin collection.

The coin will be available in 2 Regular Editions - Polished Gold and Polished Nickel and 1 Limited Edition of Antique Copper. I am making some XLEs, but they will not be offered at this time.

Virtues850.jpg

GEOCACHING VIRTUES is now available for reservations at Geocoin Design.

This coin has had final art approved and the moulds are being created now.

Enjoy!!

~J

Do you have a date when the coins will be invoiced ? And what will the difference be between LE and the RE's, as far as how they look ? The picture you posted tis all nice and well but, will that be what the finished coin will look like ? I would really like to have tis coin but, since I'm on a geocoin buying freeze, I'd like to know what I'm getting before I agree to get it. :unsure:

What you see here is the art - When the moulds are completed and the production coins are stamped out, I will update the thread with photos.

I forgot to mention (but its on the reservation page) - the prices for the regular editions will be $8.50 and the LE will be priced at $10.

The 3 shades of grey represent the 3 levels of the coin (recessed, neutral, and raised metal).

As I have said, the coin will be produced in 3 metals, Polished Gold, Polished Nickel and Antique Copper. As for a date for invoicing, I'm thinking when the production is finished (about 3 weeks from now)

~J

Edited by GeocoinGuy

Thanks Tracy!

Oh, by the way - the LEs are almost completely spoken for. There are only 8 left!

These are a great bargain for a 2" coin :unsure:

After I reserved my AC yesterday, I think there were about 31 left. I think they're gonna look great. :)

Whoops... typo

Edited by tom4props

That's why this is a 2" coin - I wanted it to be big enough so you wouldn't have to squint to read it - and for it not to be 'printed'.

The text is all raised metal, and will be flush with the hard enamel coloring.

The LE has JUST SOLD OUT - (well, reserved out...)

I put the coins into production about 4 hours ago :rolleyes::anibad:

I can't wait!!!

~J

Edited by GeocoinGuy

GREAT NEWS!!!

I am receiving photos from the mint for a photo pictorial on how this coin will be made. From mould creation, coin stamping, enamel filling, buffing, packaging - you will see it all!!

I will update the thread as required, but I thought it was very cool news!

You can follow me on Twitter as well for updates.

~J

Okay.. so here are the first pictures of the mould plates from the mint...

They aren't that good at focusing, but you get the general idea. I have asked for better quality photos.

The first press plate is the mirror image that creates the metal stamp.

The second is the press plate outcome.

plate1-1.jpg

plate4-1.jpg

Enjoy!

~J

Okay.. so here are the first pictures of the mould plates from the mint...

They aren't that good at focusing, but you get the general idea. I have asked for better quality photos.

The first press plate is the mirror image that creates the metal stamp.

The second is the press plate outcome.

plate1-1.jpg

plate4-1.jpg

Enjoy!

~J

Thank you - It is amazing how that becomes a geocoin :mellow:

After the mould plates are etched, the surrounding metal is ground off... and the designated textures are applied. This leaves a gritty mess of a mould, so they are then Acid Washed to remove any remaining debris.

The photos below show the result of that process (please keep in mind, I have REVERSED the bottom two photos so those of you who can't read the negative mould, can read what will be on the coins) ~

Geocaching Virtues Geocoin (Moulds in Negative)

VirtuesFBGround.jpg

Geocaching Virtues Geocoin (Acid Washed Moulds - Photos Reversed to read)

VirtuesFBAcids.jpg

Geocaching Virtues Geocoin (Front Mould - Close Up)

VirtuesFrontAcidWashed.jpg

I hope this brings a better understanding of how coins are produced, and as soon as I get photos of the metal stamping process, I will continue to update this thread. Needless to say.. the moulds are completed for this coin!

For those unable to read the coin - keep in mind, what you see is NEGATIVE SPACE. This space will be filled with metal when the raw material is pressed by the mould. The result will be a coin with RAISED metal text and the surrounding space will be textured.

Enjoy!

~J

After the moulds are placed and locked into the mould press, the raw material is then placed atop the bottom mould (I'm getting confirmation on whether this is an automated process, or done by hand from the production facility).

The material is then pressed by the mould. Its pressure is greater 400,000 ft lbs per sq inch (200 Tons)! The result is that the material fills the negative space of the mould. The result is pictured:

Geocaching Virtues - Side 1

VirtuesSide1Rough.jpg

Geocaching Virtues - Side 2

VirtuesSide2Rough.jpg

I hope everyone is enjoying seeing just how these coins are made!

Enjoy ~

~J

Just got a new series of photos from the production facility ~

What takes place after the first mould press is that the coins then go to enameling. Its important to do the enameling prior to any plating so the enamel adheres to the rough metal. Once the enamel is filled, the coins then go to plating.

What you see here are the coins after enameling and plating - but they are still ROUGH from the grinding and the smooth finishes that we all enjoy from our beloved coins have yet to be seen.

Coins laid out on drying surface

VirtuesEPdrying.jpg

Close up view of the detail print (Raised metal) on Side 1

VirtuesRoughEPS1.jpg

Close up view of the detail on Side 2

VirtuesRoughEPS2.jpg

Enjoy!!

~J

Very nice....so I've never "reserved" coins before. What if I reserve one of each, but decide I don't like one color, can I "return" the one?

The reservation is an agreement to purchase without actually purchasing. If you are unsure if you will like the coin, my suggestion is not to reserve it and seek a trade for it on the trade thread (which is pinned at the top of this forum).

~J

That's some great pics of the processes! with all of the text did you have trouble with typo's with the mint drawings?

Actually, I had to increase the size of the entire coin to facilitate the text being done in raised metal in lieu of printing. This coin will be 2" - so all the text will be legible to the naked eye when held in your hand.

~J

is all of the enameling done by hand? I never realized the the enameling came before plating, makes sense though :D

Not all manufacturers fill the enamel prior to plating, which causes the enamel to chip off of some coins. I prefer it be done this way to ensure that the enamel adheres to the metal. To answer your question, yes, the enameling is done completely by hand, and for very detailed enameling, it is performed with a syringe and needle while the enamel is warm.

For Hard Enamel, this allows for all the air bubbles to rise to the surface, and any imperfections are normally ground off which results in an enamel equal in height with the highest level of metal on the coin.

~J

Will you be getting pics of the finishing process?

by the way what is the hole in the middle for?

I will be getting pictures of the finishings - although the factory is cramming to tie up all productions prior to the beginning of Chinese New Year - when they close down for 2 weeks. I'm not exactly sure if I will receive photos of work in progress or the final result.

The hole in the middle is simple. Alot of people drill holes in their coins and attach tags of ownership and what not.. since the design of this coin is circular, it was thought that by placing a die cut in the center, it will keep the integrity of the coin intact while still providing a means of tag attachment without 'drilling' for it.

I can't wait for the new photos! This truly has been an amazing process to watch.

~J