Lost my Oregon 300

I have my contact details on a picture which is loaded onto my Oregon. The picture could be hard to come across so I have also stuck inside the battery cover a short message saying IF FOUND PLEASE CALL mobile number listed I would hope that the chance of someone seeing that would be pretty high and with luck I would get it back.

On my Geko 201, it had a welcome screen and I had the same message on that when it was switched on. In fact most if not all of my electronic gadgets have my contact details on them somewhere.

Being a person that works with lost property, I handle a lot of electronic devices, a large percentage I have managed to re-unite with the owners within a few hours, just by looking for some sort of contact details or phoning a contact that is on their mobile.

On my Geko 201, it had a welcome screen and I had the same message on that when it was switched on. In fact most if not all of my electronic gadgets have my contact details on them somewhere.

You can do this on the oregon too....... bit late now for Channelhopper, but if everyone did this it would really help. I have my caching name and mobile on mine, so hopefully if I ever loose my oregon whoever finds it will ring me.

You can do this on the oregon too....... bit late now for Channelhopper, but if everyone did this it would really help. I have my caching name and mobile on mine, so hopefully if I ever loose my oregon whoever finds it will ring me.

I have looked to see if there is a welcome screen on the Oregon, but can't find it, can you give the step by step guide please?

B7.) Can I add a custom startup message on my Garmin Oregon?

Yes. Connect your Oregon to a computer in USB mass storage mode and edit file [OR drive]:\Garmin\startup.txt in a text editor like notepad. You can add several lines of text at the end of this file which will be displayed at startup. This feature is useful for adding contact information in case the unit is lost.

Modifying the line <display=0> in the same file will change the the number of seconds that custom startup message is displayed (i.e. <display=5> will display the message for 5 seconds). Note your boot time will increase by the same number of seconds, so a value between 5-10 seconds is a reasonable setting.

From Garmin Oregon Wiki

Anyone know if you can do something similar on the Colorado?

You can hazel

B8.) Can I add a custom startup message on my Garmin Colorado?

Yes, starting in Beta Software 2.92. Connect your Colorado to a computer in USB mass storage mode and edit file [CO drive]:\Garmin\startup.txt in a text editor like notepad. You can add several lines of text (at least 5) at the end of this file which will be displayed just before the first screen is displayed at power on. This feature is useful for adding contact information in case the unit is lost.

Modifying the line <display=0> in the same file will change the the number of seconds that custom startup message is displayed (i.e. <display=5> will display the messge for 5 seconds). Note your boot time will increase by the same number of seconds, so a value between 5-10 seconds is a reasonable setting.

from the Colorado wiki

Two suggestions to all UK folk with a gps:

1) Enter its details for free, along with all your other non-geocaching valuables, on http://www.immobilise.com/ - this is the property databse searched by all forces and is the site that Mouse's helpful post above looks at.

2) Buy one of their special offers, paint it on/in your gps and use the sticker.

You are far more likely to get it back if the finder/thief knows it can't be sold on.

I have tried to put my details on the booting up screen, but it still will not appear. I have entered it as:

<!-- If lost please contact -->

<!-- my name and mobile number -->

<!-- or my email address -->

I have saved it and under encoding selected UTF-8 as instructed. Can anyone tell me where I have gone wrong.

I have tried to put my details on the booting up screen, but it still will not appear. I have entered it as:

I have saved it and under encoding selected UTF-8 as instructed. Can anyone tell me where I have gone wrong.

I just opened mine from \Garmin in notepad, edited it, and hit save when I'd finished....not sure about the UTF-8 bit.

What does yours read when you open it?

What's with all the chevrons & dashes? Doesn't that make the entries just comments in the file and thus ignored? Just use plain text.

As for the first line, do you not want it to say "if FOUND please contact"? :laughing:

J

Edited by Dakar4x4

I just opened mine from \Garmin in notepad, edited it, and hit save when I'd finished....not sure about the UTF-8 bit.

What does yours read when you open it?

Nothing and I have the latest update from Garmin, the one that you can put custom maps on (not tried that yet). The UTF-8 was in the instructions from Wiki

What's with all the chevrons & dashes? Doesn't that make the entries just comments in the file and thus ignored? Just use plain text.

As for the first line, do you not want it to say "if FOUND please contact"? :laughing:

Just redone it without the arrows and what not and it works, thanks very much for your help.

J

As for the first line, do you not want it to say "if FOUND please contact"? :rolleyes:

Just redone it without the arrows and what not and it works, thanks very much for your help.

J

I had to update the software and mine now Says

Stolen From: GerritS

Telephone

EMail

Thanks for this one I lost my last one so it might helkp with this one.

Telephone

EMail

If I found your GPS siting on a tree stump next to a cache, and I was looking to see who it belonged to so I could return it, and I saw it said "Stolen From: GerritS" I might leave it there in case I was caught in possession of stolen property :rolleyes: .

Seriously, though, I think that choice of words is a little bit stronger than is necessary - just saying who it belongs to should be enough?

Happy Christmas,

Rgds, Andy

this can also be done on the dakota 20

you connect your dakota 2 your pc and find the startuptxt open it and you edit it where you see my name and number

<!-- Edit this file to display a message while your unit is powering on -->

<!-- Allow one full power cycle after editing for your message to be updated -->

<!-- Set the display number to the minimum number of seconds your message is displayed -->

<display = 10>

<!-- Type your message on the next line -->

boabness 1111111111

then save

Edited by boabness

Telephone

EMail

If I found your GPS siting on a tree stump next to a cache, and I was looking to see who it belonged to so I could return it, and I saw it said "Stolen From: GerritS" I might leave it there in case I was caught in possession of stolen property :) .

Seriously, though, I think that choice of words is a little bit stronger than is necessary - just saying who it belongs to should be enough?

Happy Christmas,

Rgds, Andy

Especially since anyone who doesn't want to return it can probably figure out how to change the message to something else easily enough.

If someone's going to keep it there's no point trying to be clever, and if someone's going to attempt to return it all you need to say is "Lost by ...."

Plus, what if you loose it rather than have it stolen??! :lol:

Exactly.

I have my name, mobile number and 'Reward if found'. Best to give someone an incentive to return it rather than assume they have stolen it.

OK wording now changed to "when lost" so the flaming can stop :D

GerritS