Should I give FTF credit?

Since when did having a bit of fun become anathema to geocaching?

it didn't.

getting the firstfind is fun. having it advertised is crass.

having sex is (i hear) fun. advertising your conquests is crass.

i never cease to be amazed at people who write "yay! firstfind!" all over the first page of a logbook, as if having their signature there at the top of the page isn't enough.

Translation: "Anyone who doesn't do it the way I would do it is WRONG."

I think to imply such a thing in the forums is ... well, crass.

You must have a secrete decoder translating ring, because I didn't get that from her post. Where can I get one too? I'd like to find out what people really mean when they post here. It seems that you and handful of others have this ring and it's not fair.

Maybe they can be found in the Geocoin forums...if they're trackable at Geocaching.com...

How do you deny somebody a FTF? My FTF score only exists on my profile page because I put them there. How do you take that away from somebody?

It’s all explained in the "Proper Gameplay" section of the Groundspeak Official Geocaching Competition Scoring Rulebook.

There are bootleg copies available on the Internet if you know where to look, but they aren’t always up to date. The only valid, authorized rulebooks are the ones supplied by Groundspeak directly to the Referees.

It’s all explained in the fine print of the qualification paperwork. You did do the proper paperwork before your semi-final competition trials, didn’t you?

Bittsen's a girl? Really? You know how you develop these images of someone from their posts? Then you meet them and they're never like that? And every time it makes you question your powers of perception and intuition and makes it that much harder to cling to your self-visualization as an all-knowing person with superpowers? Now I have to go back and read all her posts and see how I missed that! But does it really matter? Would I, had I known what I now know, have interpreted her posts any differently knowing that a girl wrote them? Will I reply to her posts more nicely knowing that she's a she? Isn't the online world a difficult place to navigate? Man I'm glad I haven't shared any guy stuff, you know wink wink nudge nudge and have to go back and beg her to forgive me for being so... crass. ;)

Hi,

I have a geocache that I setup in an area with difficult terrain that was found on 8-30-09. But, the person has not logged the find. Should I still give him credit for the FTF if he has not logged it online?

Thanks,

Geocache in question:

GC1VVZK

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...76-a7f030abfcbb

Not considerate enough of other cachers by not logging online within a reasonable time. No FTF.

I'd have credited the next person listed in the physical log.

Good thing that you checked the physical log, huh?

The finder obviously doesn't care much about FTF so to heck with him.

This could have gotten real messy if there had been an FTF prize in there, huh?

How do you deny somebody a FTF? My FTF score only exists on my profile page because I put them there. How do you take that away from somebody?

I think that you might safely assume that the CO will not permit the person to log online the find as FTF.

What someone chooses to do in their own personal space is, of course, up to that person and out of reach of the CO. So it is not actually 'taking away' as much as it is preventing.

Edited by Team Cotati

Huh...I guess we learn something new everyday...

I never in a million years would have dreamed that someone being recognized as FTF on my cache page would be considered "crass". I thought it was a nice gesture to give them some recognition. For the record, I don't post anything other "Congratulations to <insert name> for FTF!" No one has ever asked me to remove this from my cache page. But then again, no one has ever asked me to have their FTF recognized either.

So a question to those who feel it is "crass" or stupid or whatever word you want to use for unnecessary, do you email the CO and ask them to remove it? ;)

Bittsen's a girl? Really? You know how you develop these images of someone from their posts? Then you meet them and they're never like that? And every time it makes you question your powers of perception and intuition and makes it that much harder to cling to your self-visualization as an all-knowing person with superpowers? Now I have to go back and read all her posts and see how I missed that! But does it really matter? Would I, had I known what I now know, have interpreted her posts any differently knowing that a girl wrote them? Will I reply to her posts more nicely knowing that she's a she? Isn't the online world a difficult place to navigate? Man I'm glad I haven't shared any guy stuff, you know wink wink nudge nudge and have to go back and beg her to forgive me for being so... crass. ;)

You mean...TheAlabamaRambler is a Guy?? Oh Em Gee.

I never in a million years would have dreamed that someone being recognized as FTF on my cache page would be considered "crass". I thought it was a nice gesture to give them some recognition. For the record, I don't post anything other "Congratulations to <insert name> for FTF!" No one has ever asked me to remove this from my cache page. But then again, no one has ever asked me to have their FTF recognized either.

So a question to those who feel it is "crass" or stupid or whatever word you want to use for unnecessary, do you email the CO and ask them to remove it? ;)

I'm sorry but this 'crass' issue is getting a bit difficult to follow. What is the issue any way? :(:):)

You mean...TheAlabamaRambler is a Guy?? Oh Em Gee.

Just what I was thinking.

And now he's being such a doll...

lmao.gif

I'm not into the FTF thing, I have two, but both were caches that had been out for a week or more. I was not trying for FTF on either of them.

Having said that, I also respect the fact that some people find the race to be a real thrill. To them it is a fun side of caching, and more power to them.

To that point, I have seen the congratulations added to the cache page for first to find. Thought it might be something those who are into it might like. I have added that to a couple of my caches thinking I was doing a good thing. Now I find out some of you do not want to see that.

What to do what to do???? ;):) Shall I remove the line from my cache page, should I quit adding the line. :) What would make the most people happy or what will make the most mad? :(:)

Here is an idea. How about if I add this to my cache page. Then, if you are FTF and it bothers you I added your name for a congratulations, simply send me a note, and I will gladly and quickly remove it. :ph34r::laughing::laughing:

I'm not into the FTF thing, I have two, but both were caches that had been out for a week or more. I was not trying for FTF on either of them.

Having said that, I also respect the fact that some people find the race to be a real thrill. To them it is a fun side of caching, and more power to them.

To that point, I have seen the congratulations added to the cache page for first to find. Thought it might be something those who are into it might like. I have added that to a couple of my caches thinking I was doing a good thing. Now I find out some of you do not want to see that.

What to do what to do???? ;):) Shall I remove the line from my cache page, should I quit adding the line. :) What would make the most people happy or what will make the most mad? :(:)

Here is an idea. How about if I add this to my cache page. Then, if you are FTF and it bothers you I added your name for a congratulations, simply send me a note, and I will gladly and quickly remove it. :ph34r::laughing::laughing:

Or...since the Cache page is YOURS, do what is fun for YOU.

My thoughts on the whole recognition thing are as follows. If you don't want to be immortalized on my cache pages, don't go for the FTF on my caches!!

that'd make me firstfind it and never log it.

take whatever prize is there and leave it perpetually unlogged. go ahead and congratulate me publicly for something i apparently didn't do.

too bad i don't live where you do; i'd make it a priority to firstfind all of your caches just to make the point.

My thoughts on the whole recognition thing are as follows. If you don't want to be immortalized on my cache pages, don't go for the FTF on my caches!!

take whatever prize is there and leave it perpetually unlogged. go ahead and congratulate me publicly for something i apparently didn't do.

too bad i don't live where you do; i'd make it a priority to firstfind all of your caches just to make the point.

Really? You feel so strongly that we must play your way that you'd do that?

If I didn't suspect that was hyperbole I'd think it was... crass.

I think that you might safely assume that the CO will not permit the person to log online the find as FTF.

What someone chooses to do in their own personal space is, of course, up to that person and out of reach of the CO. So it is not actually 'taking away' as much as it is preventing.

I know I'm being dense, but you mean COs actually delete the "found it" log when people use the text "FTF" or "first to find" in their log and they aren't the actual first person to find the cache?* I mean that's the only way I imagine that you could actually deny that person anything.

People really do this?

*Strange yes, but worthy of deletion?

Edited by Castle Mischief

Really? You feel so strongly that we must play your way that you'd do that?

If I didn't suspect that was hyperbole I'd think it was... crass.

The crass is always greener...

If somebody felt that they had to find all my caches and never log the find on-line I might think that was eccentric, but it doesn't really affect the cache. Whatever butters your banana.

I know I'm being dense, but you mean COs actually delete the "found it" log when people use the text "FTF" or "first to find" in their log and they aren't the actual first person to find the cache?* I mean that's the only way I imagine that you could actually deny that person anything.

People really do this?

If someone were so, um, crass as to delete a perfectly legitimate FTF log a request by the finder for Groundspeak to restore it would likely be honored.

CO's are responsible for deleting bogus logs, not enforcing their views and standards on finders.

So much angst placed on the FTF

If you are FTF, great

If you aren't FTF, great

If you get recognition, great

If you don't get recognition, great

If you jump and dance at FTF, great

If you see it as another regular find, great

Now, if you do ANYTHING to spoil anyone elses fun, for the simple pleasure OF spoiling the fun, not so great.

People really do this?

If someone were so, um, crass as to delete a perfectly legitimate FTF log a request by the finder for Groundspeak to restore it would likely be honored.

CO's are responsible for deleting bogus logs, not enforcing their views and standards on finders.

That's kind of how I figured it would play out.

Have you ever seen this happen? Just curious.

Would you sign the log book? If so, the CO could just read the log book and post the congratulations anyway. Would they look foolish because you never loged in online? No, they would just add some words along the line of "Flask was too shy to log his/her FTF, but Congradulations!!!" A better approch would be to politly contact the CO and ask to have the congradulations removed. I think that most COs would compley

I'm not the one who said crass. But earlier I said on at least two occasions I asked a CO to not be recognized. I'm quite certain it was pre-emptive though, and they didn't have to edit the cache page. If I did see my name in lights, I'm thinking yes, I would ask for it to be removed. I never run out the door hoping to be FTF (although I did from like 2003-2005), and the ones I've gotten since then were just accidental, so to speak, with the usual FTF hounds sleeping in or whatever.

By the way, has any one else noticed that the OP (who hasn't been back since the OP) has already recognized the non-online logging FTF'er on the cache page?

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

yes, ordinarily asking nicely works, but what bittsen said was this:

which i interpret to mean that i'd be out of luck.

yes, ordinarily asking nicely works, but what bittsen said was this:

which i interpret to mean that i'd be out of luck.

Not you. You are speshel.

;)

Seriously though. What difference does it make if you are, or are not, listed as the FTF on a cache page? Are you in the witness protection program or sumpin?

Seriously though. What difference does it make if you are, or are not, listed as the FTF on a cache page?

i think it's tacky.

while i recognize people's right to wear stripes with plaids, put up tasteless "holiday" displays, attend vulgar publicity events, or produce television shows that cater to base interests, i will thank people to leave my name off of them.

Seriously though. What difference does it make if you are, or are not, listed as the FTF on a cache page?

i think it's tacky.

while i recognize people's right to wear stripes with plaids, put up tasteless "holiday" displays, attend vulgar publicity events, or produce television shows that cater to base interests, i will thank people to leave my name off of them.

Your opinion is noted.

I have noticed that the majority who post here, in this thread, do not agree with your opinion of tackiness. Though I respect your right to think the way you do, I don't think many will subscribe to personal requirements or tastes. Nothing wrong with being on the fringe though. It's pretty much where I reside as well.

I have no doubt it will be a very long time before you find one of "my" caches so it won't be a problem. And, in practice, since I'm a nice person, I would take a name off of a cache page if requested. I do that only as a courtesy though and probably wouldn't make many other changes to a cache page based on one or two opinions.

I have noticed that the majority who post here, in this thread, do not agree with your opinion of tackiness..

judging by what i see on TV and in the stores, i believe that most people do not share my opinion of what is tacky and vulgar.

life is what it is.

while i wouldn't go around correcting people's behaviors, where there is a discussion in progress, i believe it makes sense to have that other, less common, more reserved opinion known. if the majortiy has no idea there's even another opinion out here, there's no opportunity for respite.

I have noticed that the majority who post here, in this thread, do not agree with your opinion of tackiness..

judging by what i see on TV and in the stores, i believe that most people do not share my opinion of what is tacky and vulgar.

life is what it is.

i believe it makes sense to have that other, less common, more reserved opinion known.

Flask,

There is nothing reserved about your opinions in fact you openly BRAG on the forum about your FTF experiences (or as you call them from the prehistoric age fist finds) but there is nothing to back them up. But you are fast to criticize the ones that have stats showing their accomplishments. You better up your medication AGAIN !!!

Scubasonic

Flask,

There is nothing reserved about your opinions in fact you openly BRAG on the forum about your FTF experiences (or as you call them from the prehistoric age fist finds) but there is nothing to back them up. But you are fast to criticize the ones that have stats showing their accomplishments. You better up your medication AGAIN !!!

Scubasonic

if you were literate, you could read the logs and find the firstfinds i have. too bad you haven't the attention span God gave whippets.

you still stink of mcChicken.

until you bring your sorry mcButt on the the field so i can thrash it from one end to the other, you have nothing at all to say to me.

i am smarter than you, i am faster than you, i am tougher than you, and i smell better than you do.

*sniff, sniff*

you don't even smell like REAL chicken. you're mcParts. deep-fried, mentally tied, and empty inside.

mcChicken.

Edited by flask
If I mounted a search for a five star terrain cache that hadn't been found yet in four or five months and found the log signed, I would be REALLY ticked off at the owner for not alerting folks to the fact that it had been found, if he was aware of the fact. !!!

You mean you would only go for the cache if you could be first? That if you were second the adventure would not be worth it?

Weird.

If I mounted a search for a five star terrain cache that hadn't been found yet in four or five months and found the log signed, I would be REALLY ticked off at the owner for not alerting folks to the fact that it had been found, if he was aware of the fact. !!!

You mean you would only go for the cache if you could be first? That if you were second the adventure would not be worth it?

Weird.

Agree. I planed a mountain top cache hunt that would be a FTF. The week before my climb, another local cacher grabbed it. I was disappointed, but still made the climb. It was a lot more work than what that cache sounds like.

Weird.

I might not ONLY go for it if I was forst, but I might only go for it RIGHT AWAY if I was first. If I was not first I might let it wait until later. Of course, I'm never really in that situation, but that's the point.

I'm leaning toward liking the "Post a note" idea the best...This is my only Important FTF http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...86-13774320258a , and I would have been really bummed if I discovered another name already in the book. Not that I wouldn't have enjoyed the find, but I might have given up before I got it if I knew I wasn't going to be first, or at least put it off for another day.

If the cache has been found, and nobody logs it, it is the CO's duty to report the fact. That's just the fair thing to do. Seekers should be made aware so they do not attempt to be FTF only to be thwarted by a lack of information. :D

You should post a note NOW!!!!

Sorry, but I can’t agree.

This post falls way too far on the entitlement side of reason for me. The cache owner owes you no such thing.

As a cache seeker you must take responsibility for your own voluntary choices. When you set up a self-entitled standard like that as your measure of happiness you must be prepared for disappointment. Cache hiders place caches so other cachers can find them, not to cater to your specific FTF demands. The whole FTF rush is just an informal side game that the owner may not even know or care anything about. Why should he?

If my five star terrain cache hasn’t been logged online after a few months, do you seriously expect me to rappel/scuba/spelunk/firewalk/levitate/trapeze to the container, several times a day, just to check the log book in case you might wander by expecting to be the first finder, and just because you demand up-to-the-minute information as a guarantee against your dissatisfaction? Don’t you think that’s asking a bit much?

As a cache seeker you must take responsibility for your own voluntary choices. When you set up a self-entitled standard like that as your measure of happiness you must be prepared for disappointment. Cache hiders place caches so other cachers can find them, not to cater to your specific FTF demands.

Amen.

Does it signal the apocalypse that I have now agreed with KBI a few times?

:D;);)

What ever the reason for the FTFer not to log in I assume they don't want to take credit. I have one cacher who goes for FTF but takes months to log the cache in. It of course upsets the cacher who tries because it wasn't logged in, but that is not my problem. I will give credit to the FTFers who do log in and give credit to First to Log when it isn't logged in.

Always so much heat regarding FTFs.

Unlike flask, I don't see it as crass when the cache owner adds a line to congratulate the FTF at the end of the page.

To take her analogy further, when someone has a baby, I congratulate them on the new addition to their family, not on their activities about 9 months ago.

If the cache owner choose to do it on their own, I don't see anything wrong with that. If you are FTF on my cache and I mentioned it on my cache page, all it takes to remove it is an e-mail.

Back on topic, responding to the OP : the suggestions above about mentioning a log entry without the name looks like the perfect solution to this situation.

Edited by Chrysalides

If you are asking if you should put a "congratulations" on the cache page, NO. If they wanted the online credit, they would have taken it.

But, make sure that you don't allow someone else to claim the FTF.

What she said^^

Bittsen's a girl? All this time I thought it was a guy. :)

I get that a lot.
And the answer is...?

If you are asking if you should put a "congratulations" on the cache page, NO. If they wanted the online credit, they would have taken it.

What she said^^

I get that a lot.
And the answer is...?

Not what many would expect.

What she said^^

I get that a lot.

And the answer is...?

Nevermind the many; what would you expect your gender to be, bittsen?

What she said^^

I get that a lot.

And the answer is...?

Nevermind the many; what would you expect your gender to be, bittsen?

I expect my gender to be exactly what it is. I'm perfectly happy with the parts I do, and don't, have.

I expect my gender to be exactly what it is. I'm perfectly happy with the parts I do, and don't, have.

Thanks. I like it when people can be unambiguous about their ambiguity.

flask is much hotter than bittsen.

yeah, I know that's crass.. :)

adjective, -er, -est. 1. without refinement, delicacy, or sensitivity; gross; obtuse; stupid:

2. Archaic. thick; coarse.

Thanks. I like it when people can be unambiguous about their ambiguity.

flask is much hotter than bittsen.

yeah, I know that's crass.. :)

adjective, -er, -est. 1. without refinement, delicacy, or sensitivity; gross; obtuse; stupid:

2. Archaic. thick; coarse.

I have to agree, but that's not saying too much since I'm not overly attracted to myself.

I have a geocache that I setup in an area with difficult terrain that was found on 8-30-09. But, the person has not logged the find. Should I still give him credit for the FTF if he has not logged it online?

If he/she is the first person who signed the logbook, they get the honors. Whether they log online is a moot point. Maybe they forgot the GC# or maybe something happened to them that delayed the cache logging? Maybe they're on the road traveling extensively? Or maybe...? We email the cachers to remind them they have signed the logbook (on this date) and 100% of the responders have thanked us (as they forgot to log online). Give credit where credit is due. :)

We email the cachers to remind them they have signed the logbook (on this date) and 100% of the responders have thanked us (as they forgot to log online). Give credit where credit is due. :)

I like that idea. If they signed the log with their user name. If not, it may be next to impossible to find them.

As far as first to finds go, in my area, there is about 5 people that get them all. They must either be retired or have very flexible work schedules. It is really more just an internal game with a set amount of players. I guess I just don't see the point of broadcasting something that means absolutely nothing or may even be a point of resentment among others who would seek my caches. Of that handful, there are a couple that have well over a hundred FTFs. To me, it's kind of like saying, "Hey, Bill Gates just made another $1,000,000 dollars!! Isn't that great!"