Using an unlisted cache as "home base" for bug storage

Castle Mischief

From a topic originally brought up in this thread.

Here's my way around that problem: I have an unlisted cache* where I store all the coins that I own but have not released. You can see this cache if you look at my trackable items, but if you click on the link to that cache you won't be able to view it.

*When you create a cache there is a box that reads "Yes, this cache is currently active (Reviewers will not see this listing unless box is checked)". As long as you never click that box the reviewers will never see the cache in their queue and it won't be listed.

You can place the coins out to the Unknown Location. This will keep them in your personal inventory but out of your Drop inventory. (Plus it doesn't add bogus mileage by placing them in an unlisted cache.

My unlisted cache is also my home coords. If they ever move from there the mileage will be legit. I usually dip all my new bugs and coins in this cache to record mileage starting from "home". I also dip most bugs and coins that I find in here before moving them on to a new location. In my mind, this is actually more accurate because it logs mileage for the time they were at "home base". No complaints from bug/coin owners so far- but I would change this practice if that weren't the case.

Seems somewhat virtual if you ask me.

Would any of you Travel Bug (or any trackable) object to your TB passing through my unlisted cache for the purposes of collecting mileage in the manner detailed above?

Is this something that is generally frowned upon?

Discuss.

Edited by Castle Mischief
So as long as I actually bring bugs into the house (unlisted cache is home coords) you're cool with that?

I'm totally willing to stop doing this with other folks' bugs if the general consensus is that I shouldn't be.

Seems a little odd, but I wouldn't have a problem with any of my trackable being logged through your home--just so they don't stay there. ;)

Nancy

I'm not really cool with using unlisted caches for this purpose. But this is a question for Groundspeak. You do realize that people (strangers) will be able to find your home this way?

Not if the cache as unlisted/unpublished. When you click on the cache name it says that it isn't published and so no coords show up.

I'm not really cool with using unlisted caches for this purpose. But this is a question for Groundspeak. You do realize that people (strangers) will be able to find your home this way?

Not if the cache as unlisted/unpublished. When you click on the cache name it says that it isn't published and so no coords show up.

Corrrect you can not see the cache but, if you look at the map of the TB or coin it will show at that location on the map.

I appreciate your concern but, they can also find my home by looking at my list of caches and seeing the event I hosted this past year. They could also find this information using Google or the phone book. Cachers announce their intended location every day with "will attend" logs on events. Anybody with the time and the intent could follow a person home from one of these.

I do not like it when my bugs visit unlisted caches! I had one that spent ten months in one.

I vote no.

Okay, but would you have liked it less if that cacher had just kept the bug in their inventory for that amount of time?

I think I'd be safe if I asked the trackable owners first before dropping their bug into the cache. Maybe I'll do that from now on, as a consideration. Of course, the bug owners are able to delete the associated logs of my "dip" into the unpublished cache... but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask all the same.

Edited by Castle Mischief

I do not like it when my bugs visit unlisted caches! I had one that spent ten months in one.

I vote no.

Okay, but would you have liked it less if that cacher had just kept the bug in their inventory for that amount of time?

I think I'd be safe if I asked the trackable owners first before dropping their bug into the cache. Maybe I'll do that from now on, as a consideration. Of course, the bug owners are able to delete the associated logs of my "dip" into the unpublished cache... but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask all the same.

I think it would be more of a perception of knowing where the bug is at. Go ahead and Dip it but don't store at the cache until you are ready to move it on. Dip in and out and then hold it in your (cacher's) possession.

By the way, I didn't think the topic was just going to be about Dipping other people's bugs through an unlisted cache.

I think it would be more of a perception of knowing where the bug is at. Go ahead and Dip it but don't store at the cache until you are ready to move it on. Dip in and out and then hold it in your (cacher's) possession.

By the way, I didn't think the topic was just going to be about Dipping other people's bugs through an unlisted cache.

There's the other thing I use the unlisted cache for- storing the coins that own that I haven't released. You mean that?

Storing your own geocoins there is one thing. Logging other people's trackables through is another. Why don't you just publish the cache? Or just not log anything that isn't yours through the cache. It isn't a cache until it's published and others are allowed to enjoy it too.

Storing your own geocoins there is one thing. Logging other people's trackables through is another. Why don't you just publish the cache? Or just not log anything that isn't yours through the cache. It isn't a cache until it's published and others are allowed to enjoy it too.

I considered putting out a "front lawn" cache for some time and I often re-visit the idea. The current thinking is that we (the whole family) don't want to mess with the potential complications of night-time visitors and extra traffic on our two-house road. There's also our two harmless, but rather large dogs to consider. Some day perhaps, but not right now.

I think I have a solution that will work for both of us- I'll just dip found trackables into the cache I have about a mile down the road. I was using this cache for that purpose before I created the unlisted cache to store my own trackables in.

I appreciate your insight on this and your (and Blue Deuce's) strong dedication to the preservation of all things trackable.