Hide the find counts.

GOF and Bacall

i'd very much enjoy a score free caching experience.

when i meet people who ask me what my find count is, i admit to having found at least two dozen caches and then excuse myself from the conversation as quickly as possible.

i would no sooner discuss my find count than i would my bank balance or the size of my squishy bits.

it's like the high school locker room: i could resolutely not compare my squishy bits to that of others, but i can't stop them making the comparison, so i'll just opt out of the shower room.

KBI consider it my way of promoting a score free caching experience. My statement that the numbers are of no meaning what so ever. If I could promote the idea of caching for the pure, score free, joy of finding a cache by having that blank space next to my name when I log a find then maybe the world would be just a tiny little bit better.

Exactly.

KBI consider it my way of promoting a score free caching experience. My statement that the numbers are of no meaning what so ever. If I could promote the idea of caching for the pure, score free, joy of finding a cache by having that blank space next to my name when I log a find then maybe the world would be just a tiny little bit better.

Exactly.

I don't know. I think KBIs approach may be better. If some schmuck mentions his find count as some sort of score, he can say that to him geocaching is not competitive and the count simply indicates the number of cache he found, and that he doesn't compare his to anyone else's find count. If he hid his find count, I suppose that people would ask him about and he could say the same thing. One the other hand hiding his find count would just give people another thing to talk about behind his back.

Interesting how to so many around here the mantra is cache and let cache and yet when I ask for the option to cache how I wish it seems some feel I should be happy with their method. Perhaps I should just give in and ask KBI how the hell I should cut my lawn. While I am at it who wants to tell me how to trim the verge?

It would be easy to do, and Groundspeak has never put much emphasis on stats. The find count can tell you how much stock to place in a DNF, but if someone wanted to hide it from just the cache logs I don't see that as a big deal.

Personally I would hide OpinioNate's find count (zero) and I'm sure many reviewers would too. At least then we might get a few less "How dare you archive my cache. You don't even have any finds!"

It would be easy to do, and Groundspeak has never put much emphasis on stats. The find count can tell you how much stock to place in a DNF, but if someone wanted to hide it from just the cache logs I don't see that as a big deal.

Personally I would hide OpinioNate's find count (zero) and I'm sure many reviewers would too. At least then we might get a few less "How dare you archive my cache. You don't even have any finds!"

Thanks for chiming in Nate. It is great to have an opinion from someone so close to the heart of control central.

I have heard of these problems with reviewers being accused of being unqualified by reason of their find counts before. One more reason for the option.

To be clear,though, I'd prefer that my find count was not available for public view anywhere on the site. Do you see a reason to limit it to just the cache logs?

As for the value placed on my DNFs the local cachers know me and have an idea of my finding and hiding abilities. The number next to my name can't change that be it 1000 or just a blank space.

Interesting how to so many around here the mantra is cache and let cache and yet when I ask for the option to cache how I wish it seems some feel I should be happy with their method. Perhaps I should just give in and ask KBI how the hell I should cut my lawn. While I am at it who wants to tell me how to trim the verge?

Okay.

I tried to abandon this discussion, as I could see I that my attempt to help was creating nothing but confusion and hard feelings. But now I see the issue is apparently going to follow me into other threads and other forums, where it absolutely does not belong. So here I am, back again.

Here is my take on this conversation:

GOF & Bacall:
My neighbors have begun having silly competitions to see who cuts their grass the fastest. Cutting grass has nothing to do with speed, of course, but they persist, and now they are making me feel bad by talking and acting as if I am part of their weird twist on lawn maintenance, which is something I used to enjoy.

I am therefore requesting that the neighborhood association provide me with a means of concealing my lawn from the street.

KBI:
Those guys are confused. They are distorting things in a pointless fashion. Why not do as the rest of us do, and simply ignore those ignorant goobers? Your lawn looks fine to me.

GOF & Bacall:
STOP TELLING ME HOW TO MOW MY LAWN!!!!!

Have I left anything out?

Okay.

I tried to abandon this discussion, as I could see I that my attempt to help was creating nothing but confusion and hard feelings. But now I see the issue is apparently going to follow me into other threads and other forums, where it absolutely does not belong. So here I am, back again.

GOF & Bacall:
My neighbors have begun having silly competitions to see who cuts their grass the fastest. Cutting grass has nothing to do with speed, of course, but they persist, and now they are making me feel bad by talking and acting as if I am part of their weird twist on lawn maintenance, which is something I used to enjoy.

I am therefore requesting that the neighborhood association provide me with a means of concealing my lawn from the street.

KBI:
Those guys are confused. They are distorting things in a pointless fashion. Why not do as the rest of us do, and simply ignore those ignorant goobers? Your lawn looks fine to me.

GOF & Bacall:

Not that I can tell. Everything seems crystal clear from where I sit. ;)

Okay.

GOF & Bacall:

KBI:

GOF & Bacall:

You mean besides the post where I said you could tell me how to cut my lawn? How about the point that this isn't about lawns or those silly neighborhood associations that people saddle themselves with?

You are right. Those types are silly. Here's your gold star.

I think the find count is silly. I think that way too many of the things that cause the controversies around here are at the least in some part driven by these numbers that so many strive to pile high. All I ask is that I have the ability to opt out of the counts. I ask not only for myself but for others who think like I do.

At this point you keep telling me to ignore those who don't see things like I do. That's fine, as far as it goes. But why can't I be allowed to play the game the way I want, without numbers? Why must the answer be your way? It isn't like I am asking that you be forced to play my way.

But why can't I be allowed to play the game the way I want, without numbers? Why must the answer be your way?
KBI is not against you being able to hide your find count and for you to play your way. In fact, he's said clearly in black and white that he's not against it.

Why do you keep insisting that he's trying to prevent you from getting your way?

I really do think you have no idea what KBI has been asking you. It seems like you're getting emotional about this and reading things that aren't there.

Thanks for chiming in Nate. It is great to have an opinion from someone so close to the heart of control central.

I have heard of these problems with reviewers being accused of being unqualified by reason of their find counts before. One more reason for the option.

To be clear,though, I'd prefer that my find count was not available for public view anywhere on the site. Do you see a reason to limit it to just the cache logs?

As for the value placed on my DNFs the local cachers know me and have an idea of my finding and hiding abilities. The number next to my name can't change that be it 1000 or just a blank space.

so I wouldn't be able to click on your profile and look through all your finds and hides? I have looked at others players, especially the higher count ones that have been around awhile, for various reasons. I'm pretty sure it had very little to do with judging them in any way and more to do with using it as a tool, to find old archived caches for example, to improve my own caching experience.

It's great to hear from Nate that hiding find counts is easy to do and may also be useful for Reviewers.

The invisible find count issue can be applied on different levels:

1. Find counts on cache logs - public visibility an option

2. Stat bar on profile page - public visibility an option

3. 'List of Geocaches found (All Cache Finds)' on the profile page (via the public view "Geocaches" tab) - public visibility an option

All 3 options would be nice, however if we could have only one of the above options, then I'd want #1 - the find counts on cache logs to be invisible if we so choose.

KBI has stated quite clearly that he thinks the answer to my request is that I should ignore everyone who would compare themselves to me. As I said, fine as far as it goes.

And also as I said. May we please have the option to not share our find counts? It isn't like it would deny others the ability to play with their stats.

The only thing I am asking for is to remove the tallies. Anyplace that has a number that represents the volume of caches I have found.

so I can still look at what caches you have found but it just won't tell me how many you have found?

Even without a tally telling me that you have found hundreds of traditional caches, if twenty are listed on a page and you have thirty something pages of found traditionals....

I just don't see a way of removing the numbers without also completely hiding the list of the caches that you have found.

and what about an option to hide the number of caches you own? Since I only own 1, I might shamefully want to hide that fact.

Edited by majormajor42
KBI has stated quite clearly that he thinks the answer to my request is that I should ignore everyone who would compare themselves to me.
Nope, that's not correct.

Thanks for confirming that you haven't been paying attention.

So it wasn't KBI who said "Why not do as the rest of us do, and simply ignore those ignorant goobers?" or "Me, I prefer to ignore the schmucks." or "Do like the rest of us and ignore the schmucks." "Why do you care about that?"

It has been the one recurring theme in his posts.

All I want is to be able to put a check in a little box that says "Hide Find Count". I don't want to change the world. I'm not asking Democrats and Republicans to sit down and break bread together.

It has surprised me that it went all the way to page three before someone though to ask about adding up the found logs though. I never said it was a perfect solution.

How about the point that this isn't about lawns or those silly neighborhood associations that people saddle themselves with?

Are you pulling my leg, or do you truly not understand how an analogy works?

I get it. I'd just rather discuss the request at hand. Do you have a way that I can hide my numbers that is new? Or am I still just to ignore it all and play the game your way?

So let's give you the option to hide your found count. What have you accomplished? The people who still want to be competitive will still display their find counts. They will look on leader board sites and see what their standing is. They will likely rely on the fact that if you have opt out of listing your find count, most people will still have find counts listed. So when they look they might not see GOF & Bacall but they will still have plenty of people with low counts who simply don't cache as often that they can make silly comments about. They will also know exactly who is hidding their find counts. Do you really think they won't be making silly comment about them. There will probably be someone who says "I got a DNF on my cache from someone who isn't showing find counts. What should I do?" And there will be some schmuck that says "Ignore it. If he doesn't care enough to share his find count, that DNF is probably just because he didn't know about lifting the skirt on a lampost". And of course, the "numbers" cachers will still be hiding LPCs and other quick and easy type hides. This will not change because a few people opt out of sharing their find count.

If it makes you feel better, sure go ahead an do it. But I think other than your feeling good about using it to make a statement that you aren't into the numbers, it will not have any effect. Seems to me it is more effective to have people ask you why your count is so low and then you can explain how you can enjoy geocaching even if you don't find many caches or even if you don't log every one you find online. You will still have to explain to the same people why you hide your find count.

KBI has stated quite clearly that he thinks the answer to my request is that I should ignore everyone who would compare themselves to me.
Nope, that's not correct.

Thanks for confirming that you haven't been paying attention.

So it wasn't KBI who said "Why not do as the rest of us do, and simply ignore those ignorant goobers?" or "Me, I prefer to ignore the schmucks." or "Do like the rest of us and ignore the schmucks." "Why do you care about that?"
Close... but it was KBI who ASKED you about those things. You seem to be under the impression his opinion is that you MUST do as he does, when in fact he's stated quite clearly that he's only curious why you chose to request one option when another option is available.

I don't know why I'm trying to explain it to you haven't been able to understand so far.

How about the point that this isn't about lawns or those silly neighborhood associations that people saddle themselves with?

Are you pulling my leg, or do you truly not understand how an analogy works?

I get it. I'd just rather discuss the request at hand. Do you have a way that I can hide my numbers that is new? Or am I still just to ignore it all and play the game your way?

That is your choice, my friend. I am merely trying to help.

All I have asked -- not demanded, just asked -- is for you to explain why the second option is not acceptable to you. You are free to either (1) offer an explanation as to why ignoring the busybodies is an inadequate solution for you, or (2) ignore my posts.

So far you have been unwilling to do either.

I still think, after all these years, that it's ironic that the people that claim to be the ones that don't care about find counts are the ones that talk about them the most. People that say they don't care about find counts are often the ones shouting the loudest about how numbers don't mean anything and/or numbers should be hidden.

I'm going bald, and I truthfully don't care about my (lack of) hair. If I met someone that wore a toupee that claimed it was because they wanted to keep others from looking down at their low hair count, would I think they didn't care about being bald or that they cared more about their hair than I care about mine?

I see it as a step in the right direction. If someone comes into the forums and asks "I have a DNF from a cacher with no find count. What do I do?" Someone will tell 'em that I have opted out of keeping count and perhaps they will stop and think about how silly the numbers are. Or they could think how silly I am. Either way is fine by me.

If all it does is make me feel good then heck, I feel good. Nothing wrong with that. ;)

If someone comes into the forums and asks "I have a DNF from a cacher with no find count. What do I do?" Someone will tell 'em that I have opted out of keeping count and perhaps they will stop and think about how silly the numbers are. Or they could think how silly I am. Either way is fine by me.

So let me get this straight: You are bothered by nosy schmucks who pick at you about your find count ... but in the future, when they pick at you about the blank space that replaces your find count, that’ll be fine by you?

What makes you think you will be able to ignore the schmucks then, when you claim you can’t do it now?

Why can't you just ... aw nevermind, I give up again.

You've lost me.

I still think, after all these years, that it's ironic that the people that claim to be the ones that don't care about find counts are the ones that talk about them the most. People that say they don't care about find counts are often the ones shouting the loudest about how numbers don't mean anything and/or numbers should be hidden.

I'm going bald, and I truthfully don't care about my (lack of) hair. If I met someone that wore a toupee that claimed it was because they wanted to keep others from looking down at their low hair count, would I think they didn't care about being bald or that they cared more about their hair than I care about mine?

If you wear a toupee, you are giving others the impression that you have hair, when you do not. Remember the Seinfeld episode when George gets the toupee? Many people were harmed by George's misrepresentation of hair count.

Wearing a toupee is lying and many of the SS soldiers in Nazi Germany wore toupee's. Case Closed!

If you wear a toupee, you are giving others the impression that you have hair, when you do not. Remember the Seinfeld episode when George gets the toupee? Many people were harmed by George's misrepresentation of hair count.
Why am I not surprised that you focused on one part of the analogy and completely missed the point?
If someone comes into the forums and asks "I have a DNF from a cacher with no find count. What do I do?" Someone will tell 'em that I have opted out of keeping count and perhaps they will stop and think about how silly the numbers are. Or they could think how silly I am. Either way is fine by me.

So let me get this straight: You are bothered by nosy schmucks who pick at you about your find count ... but in the future, when they pick at you about the blank space that replaces your find count, that’ll be fine by you?

What makes you think you will be able to ignore the schmucks then, when you claim you can’t do it now?

You've lost me.

KBI - Can't you see that hiding one's numbers is as much a numbers game in and of itself as is any other numbers game around here?? Some will see the option as a lack of honesty and morals while others will try to view it as some kind of ultruistic higher morality and all stations in between. sigh............

You've lost me.

KBI - Can't you see that hiding one's numbers is as much a numbers game in and of itself as is any other numbers game around here?? Some will see the option as a lack of honesty and morals while others will try to view it as some kind of ultruistic higher morality and all stations in between. sigh............

Hiding one's numbers is not a numbers 'game'.

Further it has nothing at all to do with a person's honesty or their 'morals'.

What others may or may not choose to 'see' in such an option is nothing more than unfounded speculation and doesn't matter in the slightest.

Strange stuff.

Further it has nothing at all to do with a person's honesty or their 'morals'.

no, it doesn't, but i can recall having been called cowardly for not posting a truckload of statistics on my profile; granted, you have to consider the source, but i believe i was accused of "hiding behind" my failure to post statistics.

of course, it would be a simple thing to fake stats and tables, but apparently for some people the absence of numbers is a problem. i guess they get all frustrated when they're trying to compare themselves to you and you haven't provided easy comparisons they can understand without having to rub two brain cells together.

of course, for some people brain cells are in short supply, and maybe they can't spare any...

The find count can tell you how much stock to place in a DNF...

Not after someone has found a few dozen. I've seen highly experienced cachers DNF caches quicker than one less so. Yet, the cache is still there. They might have found the cache if they'd spend more than 3 minutes looking for a cache and moving on.

A much better way of validating a DNF is look at that person's past DNFs, not finds. I'd more likely worry about a cache if someone's DNF record shows a large number of caches where the cache was actually missing, than one who logs a DNF and the cache is found by someone the next day. Compare apples to apples.

Groundspeak doesn't have a way for folks to look at a cacher's DNF record. A DNF log could have a link to such a list. That would be a lot more useful than a find count.

Wearing a toupee is lying and many of the SS soldiers in Nazi Germany wore toupee's. Case Closed!

You are of course familiar with Quirk's Exception?

I have given this some more thought, and I have come to the conclusion that this proposal is not only a great idea, but it doesn't go far enough.

I have determined that I can no longer tolerate people disagreeing with me, my opinions, my find counts or my caching preferences.

I have therefore decided: I want my entire account hidden.

My profile, my find count, my online logs, my forum posts, my travel bugs ... anything anybody might ever see that would even hint at my very existence as a cacher. I want all those things concealed.

Don't close my account; just render me completely undetectable. I want to participate without participating.

Or to put it another way: ;) is the new :D .

Edited by KBI

As someone else asked, what is the point of having a website forum if no one from the website is going to participate? I think that someone keeps an eye on this stuff. I just wish they'd comment a bit more often.

I hear ya. While it would be nice to have the occasional acknowledgment, I suspect that before long a standard "We'll take that request under consideration." response wouldn't satisfy us anymore.

Personally, I don't expect Groundspeak to ever come forth with an itemized list of priorities and say "Here is what we are working on.", all I can gather is when a new website update is released that those items which were added/corrected were the next ones on the list. :D

If they really cared they would. This game is more than they are a company and we are consumers. We are in this together - we allow them to make money using OUR product - yes they enhance it and provide a great service - thus again we are in this TOGETHER!. Out of respect to us they should have an open wish list and bug reporting software that we all can review. The software can provide a notes section for internal privacy.

Edited by Frank Broughton

Why am I not surprised that you focused on one part of the analogy and completely missed the point?

I was being funny.. Sheeesh. I've been away for a while and that seemed like a nice place to jump back in

You joke (I think), but there are sites that do exactly what you say. Users can show pretty much anything from everything about themselves to nothing other than their username.

That would kind of stink if someone hid their gallery pix because that's often what makes people decide to do a cache...though, yes, I do wish we could hide the double chin. :D

You joke (I think), but there are sites that do exactly what you say. Users can show pretty much anything from everything about themselves to nothing other than their username.

That would kind of stink if someone hid their gallery pix because that's often what makes people decide to do a cache...though, yes, I do wish we could hide the double chin. :D

How many cache hiders would continue hiding and maintaining caches if they knew unknown numbers of anonymous invisible cachers had full access to their cache coordinates?

Actually, I think that happens already. I’ve heard there are account holders who neither log online nor sign paper logs. They just find caches without leaving any intentional evidence of their visit.

I wonder if that would be another option for the OP to consider?

I’m not so sure it would help. It has been pointed out that childish ribbing and petty criticisms are pretty much impossible to avoid, no matter how one caches.

I sincerely hope no one takes offense to my bluntness when I say this, but I think the only effective prescription is a thick skin.

[Edit: grammar is are more corrected betterness]

Edited by KBI

Id like to keep my find counts private as would a few of my caching friends who dont use these forums.

For KBI's information i do care deeply what other people think about me, having been told by my children that they were teased at school because we dont have as many finds as another local caching family

I therefore have an extra special reason for wanting to remove my stats from the website.

When I joined the geocaching community I accepted the ways it was set up. That includes showing the numbers of caches I and other cachers have have found.

Those of you that don't want to be part of the number competition don't join it, I haven't, but I don't mind showing my finds to everyone interested. And when I see someone's finds count I realize that the cacher might have found the caches in different ways, some have found the caches on their own, some have found them in cooperation with one or more other cahers and some might have found them on the map. But I enjoy seeing the figures anyway.

Saying that I'm not competing isn't completely true, I do compete, with myself. I try to be better for in some aspect every day. But I prefer to compare myself with - myself!

so why shouldn't I want to show the number of finds? Is the reason that I haven't found enough? Is it because I have found to many caches and will be suspected for fraud? None of these questions are relevant. If someone don't accept me and my number of finds that's up to them to be worried.

It seems to me that a lot of cachers like me want to show a lot of stastistics on their finds in their public profile. Even some of you who want to suppress the finds count have some bragging in your profile. I guess most of us want to show off a little for those who want to look. But no one is forced to look at the information.

I vote for keeping the numbers available for everyone!

It has been pointed out that childish ribbing and petty criticisms are pretty much impossible to avoid, no matter how one caches.

I sincerely hope no one takes offense to my bluntness when I say this, but I think the only effective prescription is a thick skin.

You keep focusing on the self-esteem thing, but I'm not seeing that in GOF's comments and reasons for wanting to hide the find numbers (not the actual finds, just the numbers)....

I think that many of us who would hide our finds are trying to put a dent in the numbers game. It's about "promoting a score free caching experience". Trying to emphasis that for many of us the past-time is more then building up statistics.

Id like to keep my find counts private as would a few of my caching friends who dont use these forums.

For KBI's information i do care deeply what other people think about me, having been told by my children that they were teased at school because we dont have as many finds as another local caching family

I therefore have an extra special reason for wanting to remove my stats from the website.

Simple solution - get out mon!

Simple solution - get out mon!

The best example yet as to why this proposed change is such a great idea. :)

You keep focusing on the self-esteem thing, but I'm not seeing that in GOF's comments and reasons for wanting to hide the find numbers (not the actual finds, just the numbers)....

I think that many of us who would hide our finds are trying to put a dent in the numbers game. It's about "promoting a score free caching experience".

We already have a score-free caching experience.

A find count is not a score. A find count cannot be used as a score. Because no two finds are the same, there is no meaningful way to determine a 'winner' by comparing two find counts.

Is a cacher with twenty easy one-star finds in his history somehow "better than" or "ahead of" a cacher who has so far solved and found only fifteen five-star puzzle caches? Or is the puzzle solver the better cacher? Can either question be answered without more information? Can either question ever have a meaningful answer? I say no.

It would be like judging the relative merits of two books based on nothing but total word count.

Geocaching is not a competition. Those who try to make it into an unofficial one aren’t doing anything wrong, but there is no rule that says you have to join them ... or even acknowledge them.

Many of you look at the unsanctioned competition thing as if it is a default you must opt out of, when in fact it works the other way around. You are not a competitor unless you choose to be. So if you don’t want it, don’t choose it!

Until and unless you actively seek out this thing you dislike, you will not be a part of it – and until you do so you will continue to have a score-free caching experience.

And none of that has anything to do with self esteem. :)