Hide the find counts.

GOF and Bacall

In post 309 I said that I wasn't interested in making changes to the game for the reasons you suggested to Prime Suspect. If someone becomes vain or bitter because they're looking at other peoples find counts, that's their problem. I'm not okay with changing something that a lot of people enjoy, simply to take away a negative that a small number of people are putting upon themselves.

You see? I'm not trying to change the way ANYONE plays their game with that post like you claimed I did. Not a single person.

No obfuscation there.

Again it seems as though English is a second language for you. You refer to my words with the link "you claimed". Here are my words directed at you...

Does that mean that you are also "smart" enough to accept that others have a different and valid point of view? The OP asked for an option to hide the find count. It seems smarter to grant that, than it does to try and insist that everyone become "enlightened" enough to ignore how they feel. This change would not hurt the game, and might even bring more traffic to the web site. More traffic to the site is better for the frog. All the people that don't log finds might change the way they play the game.

Where did I claim that you are trying to change the way anyone plays their game? I made mention of insisting that everyone become enlightened enough to ignore how they feel. This is talking about people changing the way they feel about hiding or showing their numbers. It says nothing about changing the way they play. I really am at a loss as to what you are talking about. More obfuscation?

If this proposal goes through I predict an unintended consequence. Proponents seem to believe hiding their find count will deflect attention away from them. I predict it will have precisely the opposite effect.

I think a blank in place of one’s find count number will stand out, and will draw more attention to that cacher.

As in "Hmm, lookit that, he made his number blank. I wonder what he’s trying to hide?"

Busybodies who would have otherwise paid scant attention will suddenly begin to scrutinize the profiles of the nervous numbers-hiders.

Would you really do that?

Predict that? Yes. Just did.

Where did I claim that you are trying to change the way anyone plays their game?

Right here.

It seems smarter to grant that, than it does to try and insist that everyone become "enlightened" enough to ignore how they feel.

If you're still not seeing it then there's not much more I can do to help you. I'm sorry if you feel like I'm obfuscating things by asking you questions about your quotes, highlighting the references, and providing you links. Are you sure you understand what the word "obfuscating" means?

This is taken totally out of context.
Nope. When I said that, your ENTIRE post was quoted, along with PS's post. I didn't take anything out of context.

If you read the Prime Suspect post and my response any fair person can see that words you used do not reflect my statement.
I disagree. When PS quoted the Desiderata he was suggesting that comparing yourself to others would have an effect. You took that and said that it's more about keeping other people from doing the comparing, and keeping them from having that effect on themselves. My post to you was to suggest that I was not willing to keep other people from bringing something upon themselves. I tend to agree with PS though, that if you compare yourself to others you're bringing on your own pain.

I also note that you left out the emoticon.
Wrong again. Whenever I quoted a post of yours that used the emoticon, I kept it in place. I never edited it out. Nice try though.

You claim one side is indisputable, but somehow for the other side you are less sure. Isn't it indisputable that for those that would like to hide their find count this would not hurt the game? I am sure that there will still be plenty of people that leave their numbers visible for that crowd to still enjoy their game.

Uh, nooo..... I said that everyone can't have what they want. Implying that both sides may have merit.

Maybe that was too subtle for you. The funny part about your sarcastic response regarding those who want to feel superior by comparing numbers is, Yes! That's EXACTLY what I meant! For these people, hiding the find count would "hurt the game." That was my point, OK?

Can we make it so our caches don't add to someone else's find count. I'd like that, too.

Why? So those who only cache for the smilie will have less incentive to find our caches. Then when someone finds and logs our cache we know it wasn't just for the smilie.

I have no problem with that. I can work around it.

If I ever find and log such a cache, I will also log it as a smiley on one of my own caches, with a full explanation and a link to the anti-smiley cache. Those who do not already own a cache may wish to create one just for that purpose. A quick, plain and simple hide. A parking lot LPC, perhaps.

My find count is not a game score. It is a history, and I like my history to be accurate.

Can we make it so our caches don't add to someone else's find count. I'd like that, too.

Why? So those who only cache for the smilie will have less incentive to find our caches. Then when someone finds and logs our cache we know it wasn't just for the smilie.

So you routinely hide caches that a lot of people find just for the smilie? Maybe you should rethink your hides, rather than be so concerned about proper appreciation. Although "numbers runners" do hit some of my caches, I can only think of one or two where this happened very often. But then, when I place a cache I understand that I have given up control over how people experience it. It's a gift to the community.

So you routinely hide caches that a lot of people find just for the smilie?

Why don't you jump over to our team account and look for yourself. The answer would be a "no." Just because we hide a cache in a nice park doesn't mean it's just for the smilie. Just the opposite I'd say. It's there to show off the park. Therefor, a "rethinking" is not in order.