Hide the find counts.

GOF and Bacall

In fact, it seems my find count is the only thing I can't hide.
Actually, there are two options:

1) You could log everything as a note and then ignore your found caches to get them out of your PQs.

2) You could quit logging online and then ignore your found caches to get them out of your PQs.

I do Option #2 for caches that I don't enjoy.

And the My Finds PQ? I use that more than any other PQ. I also frequently look at just my Found logs in my profile -- for reminiscence, for answering questions in the forums.

I still, by the way, have seen only one stated reason to be able to always see someone's find count, which is to help assess DNFs. It seems to me unlikely that a newbie would use this feature -- even less likely if it were a PM feature. And again, I don't think anyone here will disagree that the number isn't a reliable gauge of anything anyway.

In my examples, you would have to create "My Finds" bookmark to be able to run PQs on your not logged finds....

The DNF reason is the only valid reason to need to know someone else's find count that I have heard.

I enjoy the numbers. I do not find myself competing with others. If others are competing with me I am fine with that as it really does not affect me. If the choice to hide find counts became available I would not use it. I would not begrudge anyone who did choose to use it. I still do not understand the obvious strong desire that some have for this change. But we are all entiltled to our opinions.

Some people are comfortable at a nudist colony, some are not. Are you able to understand that concept? Some are comfortable letting it all hang out, others want privacy. All you really need to understand is the idea that some people want to opt out of any part of the game that includes them (even passively) in the numbers competition. To each their own. :P

If I chose to go to a nudist colony I would also choose to accept the rules in force at that location. Can you understand that your example has nothing in common with this discussion? I have no problem with people requesting the ability to hide counts. I simply don't understand the rationale. No one is being forced to post finds online. They choose to do so. As I said in my last post, we are all entitled to our own opinions. And we are only in control of our own actions. As far as I know there is no way for someone else playing this game to force me to be in competition with them. I choose if I want to compete. :)

I enjoy the numbers. I do not find myself competing with others. If others are competing with me I am fine with that as it really does not affect me. If the choice to hide find counts became available I would not use it. I would not begrudge anyone who did choose to use it. I still do not understand the obvious strong desire that some have for this change. But we are all entiltled to our opinions.

Some people are comfortable at a nudist colony, some are not. Are you able to understand that concept? Some are comfortable letting it all hang out, others want privacy. All you really need to understand is the idea that some people want to opt out of any part of the game that includes them (even passively) in the numbers competition. To each their own. :P

If I chose to go to a nudist colony I would also choose to accept the rules in force at that location. Can you understand that your example has nothing in common with this discussion? I have no problem with people requesting the ability to hide counts. I simply don't understand the rationale. No one is being forced to post finds online. They choose to do so. As I said in my last post, we are all entitled to our own opinions. And we are only in control of our own actions. As far as I know there is no way for someone else playing this game to force me to be in competition with them. I choose if I want to compete. :)

You can choose to accept those rules. Are others allowed to ask if it is ok to wear a bathing suit? The point it has in common with this discussion is that different people have different comfort levels. You said you don't understand the strong desire for change. Different people have different comfort levels. I am forced to post online if I want my finds and dnf's tracked by the site. No one is forced to use my find count to determine my competency before deciding if they should check if the cache is missing. The nobody is forcing anyone argument goes both ways.

I say the last part of your comment is a lot of what this is about. Maybe it is more opinion than fact, but I think you are wrong there. You are forced to be in the competition if someone else is comparing their numbers to your numbers. Even if you don't know they are doing it, you are part of the competition. The very weak argument about determining competency of a dnf, and other selfish reasons aside, I have to wonder why anyone would care enough to fight this idea.

Nowadays, nudist colonies tend to go by the name "clothing optional resort". I suppose that now people who wanted to go to the nudist colony but were uncomfortable showing their bodies au natural might feel better going and wearing their clothing while most of the people continue to bare all. Perhaps they were concerned that some members of the nudist colony would want to compare the size of certain body parts and these people understandably did not want to take part in that competition. So by covering up they have ended that problem. Or have they? Perhaps now the speculation will begin on why they choose to keep their clothes on in the first place?

I have a right to privacy i want that extending to my profile on geocaching.com please, just like all the social networking sites allow you to do.

A little clarification please. You're asking for an option to hide your find count, but went to the trouble to proudly advertise how many caches are on your Ignore list??? :P

"From: 400 plus caches on my Ignore list an you beat that ?"

Ive also found 10 5/5 caches as well these are things i want to make public. I drive a VW golf estate 2litre diesel again i dont have a problem disclosing data i want to disclose, but you can go see my profile page (i did a lot of work on it do you like it ??) and see any stat you want, you can go find my most recent logs on caches if you want, you can see pictures of me and my family if you want, at present unlike the social networking sites i can not make that information private or on an invite basis only.

Just asking for web 2.0 functionality.

I just think it is so funny when people say they want their stats private, but post more stats than you can shake a stick at. It took me 14 clicks to make it to the bottom of your profile. To me, the appearance is that you don't want your information hidden or you would not go to such great lengths to spew it all out. If you want to make a point, remove it all and simply post "I would prefer to have the option to hide all of my personal information from everyone except for certain people." Move all of that over to a private web site and only give people you want to see it the URL. Then, maybe, your request would actually carry some weight as your actions would match up with your request.

My friends like to see them so when i meet them in person we can talk all about our latest caching experiences.

NB try looking now came up with my own solution.

Edited by markandlynn
So because it the way its always been is a reason not to change anything ? on that basis nothing gets changed ever.
You are altering your position. MY response was to your 'right to privacy' argument. I addressed this current argument in previous posts.
As i said all the social networking sites and other sites where you have a profile page allow you to make it private so should Groundspeak.
TPTB allow you to keep all information that could be used to identify you as private as you wish. All you have to do is not give out info that would identify you. Don't but up any pictures. Pick a 'handle' that doesn't use identifying information (such as your names).
in these days of identity theft and other unmentionables an extra layer of security on personal information is surely a good idea and possible the right of any individual who wants to benefit from the full functionality of the site.
Please explain how a miscreant would use your find count to steal your identity.
i know of several cachers who do not log finds or anything else on this site due to privacy fears
Many people won't even go online due to privacy fears. Some won't even leave their homes.

Go figure.

7 years ago identity theft was not the issue it is today, nor were internet predators.

in 7 years things change this is one of them that should

Please explain how this internet predator would use your find count to do you harm?

I said profile not found count sorry you got confused :P but id like both hidden. Its a website request. As i can now see the usuall nae sayers are in this thread ill just watch it from now on.

From the number of views and the number of responses it appears to be a popular request so im sure tptb will be considering some or part of it, i thought it was a step in the right direction that you have to have a profile to see another profile (introduced a few years ago) a further level would be nice to have.

NB

The reason i log on the site is to use the ignore list, the my finds pq and pocket queires to thier full potential without having to use a workarround.

Really pleased that MTN man read my profile just wish he had said if he thought it was usefull or useless.

In my examples, you would have to create "My Finds" bookmark to be able to run PQs on your not logged finds....

Yeah, I thought of that workaround. But how many workarounds do there need to be for a person to hide their count and still have functional use of the site?

The DNF reason is the only valid reason to need to know someone else's find count that I have heard.

I didn't mean to address that half of my post to you specifically, sorry if it looked like it.

Edited by Dinoprophet
So because it the way its always been is a reason not to change anything ? on that basis nothing gets changed ever.
You are altering your position. MY response was to your 'right to privacy' argument. I addressed this current argument in previous posts.
As i said all the social networking sites and other sites where you have a profile page allow you to make it private so should Groundspeak.
TPTB allow you to keep all information that could be used to identify you as private as you wish. All you have to do is not give out info that would identify you. Don't but up any pictures. Pick a 'handle' that doesn't use identifying information (such as your names).
in these days of identity theft and other unmentionables an extra layer of security on personal information is surely a good idea and possible the right of any individual who wants to benefit from the full functionality of the site.
Please explain how a miscreant would use your find count to steal your identity.
i know of several cachers who do not log finds or anything else on this site due to privacy fears
Many people won't even go online due to privacy fears. Some won't even leave their homes.

Go figure.

7 years ago identity theft was not the issue it is today, nor were internet predators.

in 7 years things change this is one of them that should

Please explain how this internet predator would use your find count to do you harm?

I said profile not found count sorry you got confused :P but id like both hidden. Its a website request. As i can now see the usuall nae sayers are in this thread ill just watch it from now on.

How rude of me for assuming that you were discussing the thread's topic.

Still, how much personal information that you give on your profile is a decision that you make, not TPTB. As I previously stated, if you don't want to share your personal information, don't.

Well that's odd. You can get around it in several ways and it's kind of one of those things where when I see something hidden like that I'm more inclined to dig underneath.

I tend to think optionally hiding numbers will work the same way. If in the end a small % of users choose to hide their find count, such that I might only notice a user with a hidden find count every few weeks or so when browsing logs, I'd probably be inclined to click through to their profile to check their finds. Just out of curiosity about how many finds a user who decides to hide their find count would have. In effect, you'd be making your find count more memorable.

The only way to prevent that would be to remove the page where you can see a user's found logs and I'd hate for that to be hidden. It's fun to look through past found logs of cachers you know.

If all they did was hide the found number by the names on the cache pages I guess it wouldn't kill me. But I think WRASTRO did a good job of expressing my feelings on this as well.

I didn't mean to address that half of my post to you specifically, sorry if it looked like it.
The way I see it, this is the main roadblock for what you and others want. Perhaps if they had levels based on quantity and difficulty, you could advance from a Minnow to a Polywog and then to a Frog (like Signal) :) . There were be no numbers per se, but people woud know that if a Minnow didn't find their cache, that it is likely due to inexperience. However, if a Frog didn't find their cache then it is likely that they need to get out there and check on it! :P Edited by TrailGators

*YOU* are in charge of your privacy. *YOU* are in charge of what others see and what they don't. If I don't want a possible predator looking at pictures of my kids, I don't post pictures of them online, I don't ask the websites to give me the ability to upload them and then hide them from everyone. Groundspeak is not a personal repository for your stuff.. If you want that, go use Facebook or something...

I think the problem here is people go out and use sites like mySpace and Facebook and expect all websites to give that level of granular control over security. I don't think you understand how complicated the back-end has to be to achieve that level of control.

The websites purpose is to find, hide and log geocaches. Be happy they've allowed photos to be uploaded (do you have any clue how much trouble it is storing all those images?)... Last I checked, the purpose is not social networking.

So by covering up they have ended that problem. Or have they? Perhaps now the speculation will begin on why they choose to keep their clothes on in the first place?

By hiding my finds it gives me an opportunity to proudly say that I'm geocaching not to rack up the numbers but for the experience of discovering new places and interesting hides. I don't treat my finds as another notch in my belt. I hope my hidden numbers increases discussion and awareness of quality over quantity.

Well that's odd. You can get around it in several ways and it's kind of one of those things where when I see something hidden like that I'm more inclined to dig underneath.

For me, it makes me think the person doesn't have a clue about how to format their profile page when they add stats on their profile to the point of "stats overload". It looks like an error that they have no idea how to fix.

So by covering up they have ended that problem. Or have they? Perhaps now the speculation will begin on why they choose to keep their clothes on in the first place?

By hiding my finds it gives me an opportunity to proudly say that I'm geocaching not to rack up the numbers but for the experience of discovering new places and interesting hides. I don't treat my finds as another notch in my belt. I hope my hidden numbers increases discussion and awareness of quality over quantity.

Again, the concern is what other people think about you... Why are you so concerned about what someone else thinks about your count? In other areas of life, this usually indicates a level of insecurity. I think the problem may be that you are feeling insecure that your find count may be a little low compared to your peers. It's ok. Your find count is great! Don't worry about what those bullies think about you and your count. Look in a mirror and repeat these words with me:

"I'm good enough... I'm smart enough... And gosh darnit, people like me!"

The caches you choose and the logs you write say those things much more loudly than a concealment of your numbers ever would.

Like you, I don’t do this hobby to rack up numbers. I would therefore agree with your viewpoint on this issue, except for these differences: Unlike you, I don’t cache in order to make proud statements about my preferences. Unlike you, I don’t cache to "increase discussion and awareness" about things. Unlike you, I don’t cache in order to try to change the way other people play. And unlike you, I don’t worry at all about what other people think of my caching preferences.

I cache for my own enjoyment. I don’t give a flying handshake who likes or doesn’t like my find count -- and I care even less who disapproves of my caching preferences, or why.

The way I see it, this is the main roadblock for what you and others want. Perhaps if they had levels based on quantity and difficulty, you could advance from a Minnow to a Polywog and then to a Frog (like Signal) :) . There were be no numbers per se, but people woud know that if a Minnow didn't find their cache, that it is likely due to inexperience. However, if a Frog didn't find their cache then it is likely that they need to get out there and check on it! :P

I was thinking of something like that, actually. The games on Yahoo label you as "provisional" until you finish a certain number of games. That would involve a lot more implementation and design, of course.

Maybe it would be acceptable to those who would definitely use this (as I said before, I'm not certain I would; I'm just in favor of more options) would be satisfied with their current find count being included in the owner notification email, just not listed on the cache page with their logs? It would give the owner the info they might need, yet that owner wouldn't know more than how many finds you had at that moment (i.e. they wouldn't have permanent access to your find count).

The way I see it, this is the main roadblock for what you and others want. Perhaps if they had levels based on quantity and difficulty, you could advance from a Minnow to a Polywog and then to a Frog (like Signal) :) . There were be no numbers per se, but people woud know that if a Minnow didn't find their cache, that it is likely due to inexperience. However, if a Frog didn't find their cache then it is likely that they need to get out there and check on it! :P

I was thinking of something like that, actually. The games on Yahoo label you as "provisional" until you finish a certain number of games. That would involve a lot more implementation and design, of course.

Maybe it would be acceptable to those who would definitely use this (as I said before, I'm not certain I would; I'm just in favor of more options) would be satisfied with their current find count being included in the owner notification email, just not listed on the cache page with their logs? It would give the owner the info they might need, yet that owner wouldn't know more than how many finds you had at that moment (i.e. they wouldn't have permanent access to your find count).

The find count also helps other finders. If I see that a newbie DNFed a cache I'll still go look for it. So either you provide a count or you need to provide some type of experience level.

Again, the concern is what other people think about you... Why are you so concerned about what someone else thinks about your count? In other areas of life, this usually indicates a level of insecurity. I think the problem may be that you are feeling insecure that your find count may be a little low compared to your peers. It's ok. Your find count is great! Don't worry about what those bullies think about you and your count. Look in a mirror and repeat these words with me:

"I'm good enough... I'm smart enough... And gosh darnit, people like me!"

What the heck?! :P How'd you get that interpretation from my statement that I prefer "quality over quantity"? Why do people keep insisting it's a self esteem issue...no one is bullying me, I'm not insecure about the number of finds I have. If they were hidden you wouldn't be patting me on the head by saying "It's OK. Your find count is great!". Sheesh.

That's the point for me. I'm playing a game where I like to know where I stand on the spectrum from beginner to expert, just like when I look sadly at my chess ranking. That's not about privacy, still less identity theft. I've reached the stage where I'm not a total newb, and I feel I can slow down and let it be more about quality than about the numbers: but the numbers, and looking at the numbers of others, are what told me that. I can't think of a better way. Thank you all for sharing what I needed to know.

The find count also helps other finders. If I see that a newbie DNFed a cache I'll still go look for it. So either you provide a count or you need to provide some type of experience level.

Only immediately after the find, though. The number could easily be off by hundreds within a single weekend. A newbie's first attempt at caching may look like he had 500 finds if you see it two weeks after he posted it.

That's the point for me. I'm playing a game where I like to know where I stand on the spectrum from beginner to expert, just like when I look sadly at my chess ranking. That's not about privacy, still less identity theft. I've reached the stage where I'm not a total newb, and I feel I can slow down and let it be more about quality than about the numbers: but the numbers, and looking at the numbers of others, are what told me that. I can't think of a better way. Thank you all for sharing what I needed to know.

It looks like you'll pass my find count before the end of the year, yet I've been at this about 15 times as long. Which of us is more of a newb? I certainly can't tell.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I've reached the stage where I'm not a total newb, and I feel I can slow down and let it be more about quality than about the numbers: but the numbers, and looking at the numbers of others, are what told me that. I can't think of a better way. Thank you all for sharing what I needed to know.

It looks like you'll pass my find count before the end of the year, yet I've been at this about 15 times as long. Which of us is more of a newb? I certainly can't tell.

I can (pretending the question wasn't rhetorical just for a moment), because a quick eyeball says you go for quality caches more than I've been doing, and that implies competence as well as commitment. My competence is untried and so is my ability to make a seven year commitment, so at any cachers' party I'll stand in the kitchen with the newbs. But I'm working on it, and I like that, and that's why I like knowing other people's numbers - knowing the class average, if you will.

[Edited for not making a point]

Edited by Cairngorm

I've reached the stage where I'm not a total newb, and I feel I can slow down and let it be more about quality than about the numbers: but the numbers, and looking at the numbers of others, are what told me that. I can't think of a better way. Thank you all for sharing what I needed to know.

I can (pretending the question wasn't rhetorical just for a moment), because a quick eyeball says you go for quality caches more than I've been doing, and that implies competence as well as commitment. My competence is untried and so is my ability to make a seven year commitment, so at any cachers' party I'll stand in the kitchen with the newbs. But I'm working on it, and I like that, and that's why I like knowing other people's numbers - knowing the class average, if you will.

[Edited for not making a point]

I take that as a compliment, thanks! Showing off my general choice of caches is why I probably wouldn't use this thing I'm arguing for anyway!

:P

Edited by Dinoprophet
Only immediately after the find, though. The number could easily be off by hundreds within a single weekend. A newbie's first attempt at caching may look like he had 500 finds if you see it two weeks after he posted it.
C'mon, the typical newbie doesn't find hundreds of caches in two weeks. Only the most ravenous cachers do that. Anyhow, it is useful info to know what experience the DNFer had if you are going to attempt a cache. Do we really need to debate something so obvious?
C'mon, the typical newbie doesn't find hundreds of caches in two weeks. Only the most ravenous cachers do that. Anyhow, it is useful info to know what experience the DNFer had if you are going to attempt a cache. Do we really need to debate something so obvious?

And as I said above, the typical newbie also isn't likely to use the hide feature, especially if it's a PM feature. My point is that the find count on the cache page is not static -- as soon as the person logs another find, it's wrong. If the log is more than a few weeks old, you have no idea how much stock to put into it without digging through all of the person's logs anyway (unless of course it's still relatively low). There was a debate many years ago about whether to make the counts in the logs static or dynamic, and I've never understood the final decision.

This is the very reason that I had previously suggested that there be two numbers next to each log.

:laughing:December 17 by sbell111 (542 of 553 found)

Edited to add that I did not initially request this. Mushtang did. I merely added an 'I also'.

You are both newbs. :surprise: Edited by sbell111

And as I said above, the typical newbie also isn't likely to use the hide feature, especially if it's a PM feature. My point is that the find count on the cache page is not static -- as soon as the person logs another find, it's wrong. If the log is more than a few weeks old, you have no idea how much stock to put into it without digging through all of the person's logs anyway (unless of course it's still relatively low). There was a debate many years ago about whether to make the counts in the logs static or dynamic, and I've never understood the final decision.

Weren't they were static for a minute and the community freaked? As I recall, they were also removed temporarily from the logs and there was much consternation. Edited by sbell111

Wow.

i'm going to surprise everyone and come out in favor of the finds counts the way they are.

among other things, it makes it much easier to send congratulatory notes to cachers about their recent milestones if the information is on on the cache page. i don't look at everyone's profiles often, but i DO read a lot of logs.

I look at those numbers constantly!

If someone criticizes the coords, I want to know if it's a newbie. I'm interested to see someone with very high numbers hit town. I'm interested to watch the progress of familiar names in my area and see someone who started after I did blow past my numbers. It tickles me when somebody makes a rookie mistake and they've got a respectable find count. It tickles me when a rookie breezes through one that gave me a really hard time. I could look up the numbers of everyone who logs, but I probably wouldn't bother.

And, of course, I particularly like my find number. I don't have a high count and never will at the rate I go, but that just makes incrementing that number more significant. The logging ritual is important to me. I do log my finds in order, and after I log I look at the cache page to see my log in context and my name with that one-cache-higher number on it. And I think, "woohoo! Who's the weasel? I'm the weasel!"

If performance would be significantly improved without that number...eh, even then. Nudging that number up one sadistic multicache at a time is a big part of the pleasure I get out of GC.com.

I miss AuntieWeasel

Edited by sbell111

Wow.

i'm going to surprise everyone and come out in favor of the finds counts the way they are.

among other things, it makes it much easier to send congratulatory notes to cachers about their recent milestones if the information is on on the cache page. i don't look at everyone's profiles often, but i DO read a lot of logs.

we grow.

we learn.

four years gives one a lot of time to review one's initial opinions, and arrive at more sensible conclusions.

you ought to try it.

Wow.

we grow.

we learn.

four years gives one a lot of time to review one's initial opinions, and arrive at more sensible conclusions.

you ought to try it.

Still the rude little flask that we know and love, huh?

Just because we gain more experience doesn't necessarily mean that our opinions change. For instance, I still allow that this information is 1) useful to many and 2) not private in any way. Therefore, I don't see the point in hiding it.

You, on the other hand, appear to be so wrapped up in how you are perceived by others that you ignore the reality of the world. As it turns out, no one actually cares about you. No one is taking special notice of your precious little find count. In fact, if you weren't such an unpleasant person, I bet that most people wouldn't even know that you existed.

Edited by sbell111

I just want to know where all these shmucks and rude cachers are? Yes i know there are those that want to log false finds, not hide the cache back like they found it, make rude logs, steal caches, etc,,, but in the 7 years that i've been caching, i've never had anyone get upset, form an opinion about me, or worry about my find count in any way (that i know of). Still, even if it did happen, why on earth would i let something like this bother me anyway?

As far as the request goes for hiding these numbers,, i don't have a problem with it being done. The only thing, i'm thinking a person who did so might end up being under more scrutiny by those who, for whatever reason, wanted to know! :laughing:

Another thing, and i may be way off base here. I believe that TPTB realize that most people (comes with being human) like stats and competition. Taking away some of this might actually cause a loss of customers. Otherwise, i really can't think of a reason why they would be so hesitant about implementing the feature...

I think the cacher's start date would give enough info for the majority of circumstances where reliability of a dnf is in question.

Good point. We better start a new thread to hide our start dates as well because someone may judge us based on how long we have been caching or it may somehow violate our right to privacy. What will I do if I meet another cacher and they ask how long I have been caching? How dare they try and compare themselves to me? :laughing:

Wow.

we grow.

we learn.

you ought to try it.

You can change your mind, but you can't change the fact that you gave a reason for find counts *NOT* to be hidden. You are arguing with yourself at this point I guess. Is it no longer easier to send congratulatory notes because of the find counts being available?

I think the cacher's start date would give enough info for the majority of circumstances where reliability of a dnf is in question.
Good point. We better start a new thread to hide our start dates as well because someone may judge us based on how long we have been caching or it may somehow violate our right to privacy. What will I do if I meet another cacher and they ask how long I have been caching? How dare they try and compare themselves to me? :D

If they allow people to hide their start dates, I think they should hide all other start dates from that person. If someone doesn't want me to see when they started why should they be allowed to see when anyone else did?

;):laughing::surprise::anicute::D:D:D:yikes::o:P:D

Good point. We better start a new thread to hide our start dates as well because someone may judge us based on how long we have been caching or it may somehow violate our right to privacy. What will I do if I meet another cacher and they ask how long I have been caching? How dare they try and compare themselves to me? :D

If they allow people to hide their start dates, I think they should hide all other start dates from that person. If someone doesn't want me to see when they started why should they be allowed to see when anyone else did?

;):laughing::surprise::anicute::D:D:D:yikes::o:P:D

That's fine, but assuming you could turn the option on and off at will, it would be easily defeated.

Wow.

we grow.

we learn.

you ought to try it.

Still the rude little flask that we know and love, huh?

Just because we gain more experience doesn't necessarily mean that our opinions change. For instance, I still allow that this information is 1) useful to many and 2) not private in any way. Therefore, I don't see the point in hiding it.

You, on the other hand, appear to be so wrapped up in how you are perceived by others that you ignore the reality of the world. As it turns out, no one actually cares about you. No one is taking special notice of your precious little find count. In fact, if you weren't such an unpleasant person, I bet that most people wouldn't even know that you existed.

kettle? is that you?

if it weren't for people who actually DO come up and make comments about my find count, i'd assume that nobody but me cares.

clearly YOU care, since you repeatedly make an awful lot of comments directed personally at me even when i am not speaking to you.

ordinarily you are too far my contempt to respond to you in any way, but it's Christmas. so there. take that and buy yourself something nice with it. and spare no expense. you're worth it.

ho.

ho. ho.

if it weren't for people who actually DO come up and make comments about my find count, i'd assume that nobody but me cares.

I find it VERY difficult to believe that you have had that many encounters while out caching. Considering your *extremely* low find count, the odds are not in your favor. If you had a more substantial find count, I might be more inclined to believe your story. Why don't you quit yakin' in the forums and go find some more caches so we can have an intelligent conversation regarding this topic.

If you need any pointers while your out there inching towards 4000 ... Oh man, I almost laughed.. Just let me know.

I find it VERY difficult to believe that you have had that many encounters while out caching. Considering your *extremely* low find count, the odds are not in your favor. If you had a more substantial find count, I might be more inclined to believe your story. Why don't you quit yakin' in the forums and go find some more caches so we can have an intelligent conversation regarding this topic.

If you need any pointers while your out there inching towards 4000 ... Oh man, I almost laughed.. Just let me know.

Well, there you go, evidence that people look at other people's count to judge them.

you're. :laughing::anicute::surprise:

Are you judging my misuse of 'your'? Is there any way TPTB can give me the option to hide my grammar mistakes from other forum users? It's my grammar and my post and I should be able to control what other people see....

Someone give me a hug and don't forget to turn on the night light and leave my door open a little bit. Goodnight!

<BAD GRAMMER AND SPELLING MISTAKES NOT DISPLAYED PER USER REQUEST>

Edited by ReadyOrNot

you're. :laughing::o:anicute:

Are you judging my misuse of 'your'? Is there any way TPTB can give me the option to hide my grammar mistakes from other forum users? It's my grammar and my post and I should be able to control what other people see....

Someone give me a hug and don't forget to turn on the night light and leave my door open a little bit. Goodnight!

<BAD GRAMMER AND SPELLING MISTAKES NOT DISPLAYED PER USER REQUEST>

There's ever so slight of a chance that they figure that if you know about it, that you'll fix it. Just a guess on my part though. :surprise::P:yikes:

I tried to remember, just now, if anyone has ever asked me about my find count. And I realized: The only people who have ever asked me about my find count are non-cachers.

Our experience has been the exact opposite. Could be that since non-cachers have not a clue wrt what the game is about and what it's components are and that a www site even exists.

However as you might imagine, I am more than eager to fill them in. And I can tell you that at the local event that we attended last weekend, found count was mentioned over and over and over.

There was even a couple of people there who actually had their found count on their name tag stickies. They didn't include their DNF count though, don't know why. Could possibly be that they didn't know their DNF count, I don't know mine and don't care to.

Must be a regional thing. :laughing::anicute::surprise:

I tried to remember, just now, if anyone has ever asked me about my find count. And I realized: The only people who have ever asked me about my find count are non-cachers.

Our experience has been the exact opposite. Could be that since non-cachers have not a clue wrt what the game is about and what it's components are and that a www site even exists.

However as you might imagine, I am more than eager to fill them in. And I can tell you that at the local event that we attended last weekend, found count was mentioned over and over and over.

There was even a couple of people there who actually had their found count on their name tag stickies. They didn't include their DNF count though, don't know why. Could possibly be that they didn't know their DNF count, I don't know mine and don't care to.

Must be a regional thing. :laughing::anicute::surprise:

Non-cachers never ask me either. I'm typically asked by newbies or by numbers oriented cachers. I think the numbers oriented ones just ask as a way of finding out if I'm into numbers too. When I give them a nonchalant answer like "I'm not sure," they figure out where I stand. However, I don't mind if they are.
This is the very reason that I had previously suggested that there be two numbers next to each log.

:DDecember 17 by sbell111 (542 of 553 found)

Edited to add that I did not initially request this. Mushtang did. I merely added an 'I also'.

This is a good idea!

I like it, too. But I can imagine why it was shot down: too hard to make it retroactive, not accurate if a log gets deleted or backdated, too big a load on the server if it isn't static.

:DDecember 17 by sbell111 (542 of 553 found)

This is a good idea!

I like it, too. But I can imagine why it was shot down: too hard to make it retroactive, not accurate if a log gets deleted or backdated, too big a load on the server if it isn't static.

Jeremy believed (correctly) that it would cause too much angst when people log their caches out of order.