Flonopoly - London

murphyz

I'm new to all of this and only have a two finds under my belt - both were micro caches in central London as part of the Flonopoly series. However, both of them only seemed to have 'log books' (that is, several bits of very used paper that people have signed).

Should all of these series have an ID number with the find - and if so, where would this number be? I noticed looking at one of the caches in this series there was a nano find and the description stated we would need a number, and told us where to look (at geographical items in the nearby area) to get that number.

Should the ID be on a piece of paper?

Thanks

I'm a little bit confused...

You've logged two finds, but only one of which seems to be in the Flonopoly series. Two logs from 13 September say the number is missing and others prior to that.

I'd contact the owner if I was you but given the amount of the series that's temp'd I think it's unlikely to be able to finish it :D

BTW welcome!

Hi there... welcome...

The two London caches that you've found so far were traditional caches. A traditional cache means that there's a container (of some size) at the co-ordinates given at the top of the cache page. It must contain some sort of logbook, or log strip of paper, so that cacher can sign their name or initials to prove they found it.

Sometimes (not always) the cache owner will write the GC number for the cache (that's the one that you see top right on every cache page) on the outside of the cache container.

Even the very small nano cache that you describe should contain some sort of very thin paper strip for a log, but without reading the description of this other cache it's difficult to be sure what other number you refer to - Could you tell us the name or GC number of the other cache please?

MrsB :D

Edited by The Blorenges

We have done a few of the Flonopoly caches in London and found them great fun. The Firelanterns who set up these caches were initially very good at maintaining them and replaced those that went missing. Given that they are in Central London there is obviously a high attrition rate.

Unfortunately, the Firelanterns seem to have lost interest in maintaining the series. The Park Lane cache was disabled in July and no further action has been taken. Several others are now disabled presumably having gone missing.

If the Firelanterns are not going to continue to maintain the series I think the whole lot should now be archived as the series is becoming caching litter! It's a shame as a lot of thought went into the initial set up and there were some clever hints.

I see a similar set of Flonopoly caches has been set up in Bournemouth by a different caching team. Hopefully these will last a bit longer than the London ones.

Firelanterns has the following paragraph in the description for GC1N4X2 (Flonopoly Cache 28 and Final - GO ! ) obviously knowing that some containers may go missing.

"If you are struggling for numbers from any missing caches, you can find a cheat sheet here - please not ALL the flonopoly numbers are on here, including Jail - but you'll still have to work out the coords yourself ! - please ONLY use this if you have attempted a cache and find it unavailable - your right to a flonopoly pathtag is only if you have at least attempted to get round them all ! www.londonframed.co.uk/flonopolycheatsheet.pdf"

If you are missing a number, or just an out-and-out cheat then have a look at the cheat sheet!

I have replaced some containers but it would appear that Firelanterns has abandoned this series.

You've logged two finds, but only one of which seems to be in the Flonopoly series. Two logs from 13 September say the number is missing and others prior to that.

You are correct, only 1 of my 2 finds are Flonopoly, I was on the hunt for the third cache (2nd in the Flonopoly series) which I did not find, my mistake.

The two London caches that you've found so far were traditional caches. A traditional cache means that there's a container (of some size) at the co-ordinates given at the top of the cache page. It must contain some sort of logbook, or log strip of paper, so that cacher can sign their name or initials to prove they found it.

It was a 35mm case with a few strips of paper inside that had signatures - there was also a sticker with 'Goldpot' written inside it. Nothing further.

Even the very small nano cache that you describe should contain some sort of very thin paper strip for a log, but without reading the description of this other cache it's difficult to be sure what other number you refer to - Could you tell us the name or GC number of the other cache please?

This one is Flonopoly 15 - GC1KJA6

I guess the numbers aren't too important if the series has a lot of them out of action at the moment, just want to be sure I know what I'm looking for it them.

Thanks all.

Edit - I see when I preview this that Master Mariner has posted with a cheat sheet - thanks for this, I'll save it and refer to this once I've worked my way around the series.

there was also a sticker with 'Goldpot' written inside it. Nothing further.

Goldpot is a local cacher who leaves a small sticker in the caches/logbooks. You'll get used to seeing them in London 'cos he doesn't half put it about a bit :D

I expect he'll be along here before long as he pops in from time to time, when he finds a time between caches.

Goldpot is a local cacher who leaves a small sticker in the caches/logbooks. You'll get used to seeing them in London 'cos he doesn't half put it about a bit :D

Cool, thanks.

I saw that some people have their own ink stamps to put their mark on the logs - I guess this is just an extension of that :(

IMHO the Flonopoly London series is just too adventurous as a complete set of caches. Whitehall is basically a nogo area for caches. I know from past experience. But I must salute Firelanterns "balls" for having a go. :D

But I also believe forced archiving is a very very last resort, especially after only 3 months inactivity on a handful of caches.

On a more positive note....another weekend in Bournemouth seems very likely. :laughing:

Hi All,

firstly thanks to rodz for checking in with me and prompting me to write this...

Big apologies to all you cachers out there who have struggled with my un-maintained caches - up until June time i was on the case with maintaining everything and replied to every email i got with queries - i know how annoying it can be to search for a cache to find it not there !.

I have had a total personal nightmare since early June, family health issues and horrible situations, and have quit my job also through that becoming a disaster as well - i'm afraid everything fell by the wayside, including friends and geocaching whilst i got through this.

Things are getting back to normal slowly, family crisis becoming easier to manage, and new job within a couple of weeks (subject to a final interview with Cisco on Monday! - any cachers work for them ?!)

Anyway, enough of my personal issues ! - i'd like to apologise to everyone, i assure you i have not abandoned the series, but as unfortunately "firelanterns" is just little old me, i have had no-one to fall back on to keep things going.

I still have the geocaching bug - give me a couple of weeks to get things back up to speed, and flonopoly will be resurected. Indeed, there are 3 caches in the east end that i hid but haven't published yet, and was half way through planning my next London mega series - possibly better than flonopoly - when all this happened ! - that will probably have to wait till next year to finish unfortunately, but i WILL get there !

If you feel you've had a mare with flonopoly drop me an email and i'll send you a pathtag as resompense ! - honestly, please do, i appreciate some people have put effort in and struggled with the "geo-litter" ?!

Once again folks apologies - and thanks again to rodz for emailing me.

All the best

Darren (firelanterns)

Hello, life does throw some things at us at times,im sure we all hope you get this new job,then go from strength to strength to a great future, thank you for the flonopoly series we have done so far,when you have time we will definatly try to complete the series,that alot of us thought was a daring excellent series. patandjeff with sali and george the corgis who make up team bones1.

All,

Thanks for your patience, and once again apologies for not keeping up on maintenance due to my personal circumstances - if you've emailed me and i haven't responded, again, i apologise !

All caches (bar 1 - park lane - missed it!) - have now been checked and replaced - and thanks to Master Mariner for sorting out 2 of them (including a positional change!)

life is now a little better, and i'm back on the caching trail again - and i WILL keep on top of this lot - flonopoly WILL NOT DIE ! - indeed, i still have the plot for a bigger london series i was going to do 8 months ago before things all went horribly wrong - if i've got the balls and the time i may get this one up and running as well !

Thanks again to all - especially the reviewers for holding off archiving my little slice of London !

All the best

Darren (firelanterns - and its just me!)

All,

Thanks for your patience, and once again apologies for not keeping up on maintenance due to my personal circumstances - if you've emailed me and i haven't responded, again, i apologise !

All caches (bar 1 - park lane - missed it!) - have now been checked and replaced - and thanks to Master Mariner for sorting out 2 of them (including a positional change!)

life is now a little better, and i'm back on the caching trail again - and i WILL keep on top of this lot - flonopoly WILL NOT DIE ! - indeed, i still have the plot for a bigger london series i was going to do 8 months ago before things all went horribly wrong - if i've got the balls and the time i may get this one up and running as well !

Thanks again to all - especially the reviewers for holding off archiving my little slice of London !

All the best

Darren (firelanterns - and its just me!)

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Awesome, and happy christmas/new year!

Edited by Ryuchan

Dear Firelanterns,

we are the Tigglets and we have been enjoying your chaching series Flonopoly. Sadly it seams to have been abandoned and many caches have gone missing. We would hate to see it die and would like to continue it for you. Obviously we would give you credit for being the original creator of this cache series. We hope you won't have any objections to this.

Regards,

The Tigglets

I've done the Flonopoly series, and can thoroughly recommend it, but it is always going to be high-maintenance, because of the high-traffic locations. The "cheat-sheet" is a good way to get round the problem of missing caches, although I think there are better ways. I was especially tickled by the location of "Jail".