Puzzle caches

Wazat

:( Best enjoyable and it took about 9 months to solve was Stoddards Demise from Global Rat. At this time there were not many caches around and we were happy to have 2-3 finds per week driving a lot of kilometers. So taking time to solve an execptional puzzel cache such as Stoddards Demise was more than fun.

Today there are soooo many roadside caches around to be picked up easy, I think the fun is more with the cachers who do not have many choices available, but the puzzle caches keep you more than stimulated in areas you did not know before. :anibad:

well, Stoddard's demise is certainly an exceptional puzzle, but I know I will never be able to solve a puzzle that takes 9 months to solve, so I can;t rank it as one of my favourites, although i had fun looking at it - I prefer ones that are solvable by me :(

I like the Da Vinci code best, if that is classed as a puzzle

There are two sides to this coin. The reward must be worth the puzzle. I was very disappointed having taken the time and brainpower to solve some of the donkasand puzzles only to find that they are just arbitrary roadside micros or worse that they have not been maintained and are no longer there. What an anticlimax.

On the contrary, I have enjoyed some of the Antron puzzles and some of the actual caches at the end have been well thought out. As much effort went into the puzzle as did in the actual cache and container.

It will be good to keep this thread going, both for solve at home and solve on site puzzles.

Here in the Western Cape good solve at home puzzles are

GC1BCFZ Whispers in the Wind

GC1N9RV Green eggs and bacon

For solve on site Discombob's GCYJJQ Harry Potter is up there with Da Vinci code

GC1T4ZW Kings Block House

GCKWVJ Local Treasure

GCYZ0Z Pirates Plunder

Edited by the pooks

Rhino I must admit the Aaaaah moment on Numbers was very rewarding. Despite the clues and all the frustration... I could see the sadistic look in your eyes while I battled with it. It is a sort of like medievil torture in a way isn't it..... :D

I expect an Aaaah moment will come out of my latest puzzle, GC1NX3H... :D:D

We enjoy doing puzzle caches like Global Rat and Rhino’s puzzles (Stoddard’s demise, Descartes Communiqué, Fiddle Sticks and It’s not a numbers game). The really difficult caches we struggle with are the ones from Donkasand, but I noticed they are not listed any more????

Yes, Donkasand is very ill at present - I think he is undergoing treatment - and completely out of the geocaching game. When we last contacted him about two of his puzzle caches we were working out, he was unable to confirm if they were still there, nor could he confirm whether the websites (where you need to get some of the info.) were still available. He said he was not able to maintain them and then decided to rather archive them in order to free up the spots for other possible/future hides by other cachers. It is a shame, as we know he really enjoyed putting them together. We certainly hope that he recovers soon and is able to get back into things again.

We really enjoyed "National Treasure" by Crystal Fairy. It was a fun to do, quick and easy mystery cache, with a novel hide at the end. We feel that keeping things simple and fun is the way to go with mystery caches. And what we really don't like about really difficult mysteries is the fact when travellers are left in the cache and sit there for years before the cache is visited again - that is so unfair for the traveller!!

We also worked very hard, every night to crack "Cerebrate" by Donkasand. It was rewarding to get the correct final co-ords in the end, but disappointing to find a micro for all the effort.

Puzzle or Mystery caches that teach you something are also fun. We enjoyed calculating "Memories" by claust in the Dikoholo resort, although we haven't yet got round to going there to find the actual cache!

Another one that was loads of fun was "Brainfood - Malibongwe Drive" by hendri. We really do enjoy the fun mystery caches!!

Come on Fynbossers - what about Dogs breakfast and number cruncher as two good ones not yet mentioned!

Thanks to for the compliment regarding Dogs Breakfast (GC21G5N), much appreciated. As for Number Crunch (GC21V2P) I have no hair left after tearing it all out over the last few weeks, every time I think I have forgotten about that puzzle then I get reminded about it again and the torture starts all over again. On the positive side though MnCo has brought hours of challenging head bending entertainment to my house through waking hours and sleeping hours and I am enjoying every minute of it.

Others I have enjoyed are:

King's Block House - GC1TZ4W

Force or Finesse - GC1XP88

Local Treasure - GC1KWVJ

Come on Fynbossers - what about Dogs breakfast and number cruncher as two good ones not yet mentioned!

Enjoyed doing Dogs Breakfast but with Number Cruncher have not had an Eureka moment yet.

Have to agree with Pooks on the following:

and Stoddard's Demise - this one was way before its time - well done GlobalRat. We really enjoyed solving it and it took about 3 years before we could get up to Johannesburg to get to the final.

Edited by cownchicken

Ditto the green eggs one - a bit worried about the puff-adder at King's Blockhouse, but that's probably me more worried about the puzzles - hear they are a bit tough!

Ditto the green eggs one - a bit worried about the puff-adder at King's Blockhouse, but that's probably me more worried about the puzzles - hear they are a bit tough!

We have also been watching what some of the other cachers prefer for their Mystery caches. We have spent the last week working on the Pretoria caches and Stoddards demise is giving me grey hair. And then i am only on day 2!!

One the we really enjoyed solving was GCVE5M Naval M4 by cache fan. Another one would be Little Italy and Bric-a-brack by GreenJam

((Anyone tried this?))

Edit: ...Oh, just read further, you need to learn a programming language...

And why not learn a programming language!!!

Thanks for the link. This might push me over the edge and make me start learning python.

I actually have thought of a cache ideas where you have to solve the riddle with some python code so watch out for a new cache soon!!!!

For some more awesome puzzles try http://www.ouverture-facile.com/start/index.html - I have also been planning to use some of those concepts in puzzle caches in the future

Here's another similar type of thing - http://www.deathball.net/notpron/

Good luck and don;t get too frustrated - I am not too far along and got stumped - but every now and then I have a looked. Have wiled away many happy hours in front of my pc solving playing this game.

Trev

:mellow:

Sorry, tried to delete a post just after I posted it, couldn't figure out how.

Regarding puzzles, I've only published one proper puzzle before (Nerves of Steel GC19NHG) As I expected, it received very little attention. So what do I do, publish Public Key and Private Key last week. Again, I can see few people bother with it. And I understand it, as I myself do very few.

So I guess that's just the way it works - a puzzle has a limited audience, but I know that audience enjoy them. And therefore it is what it is.

BTW, happy to provide hints and guidance on the 2 Key caches. I have already changed the hints here and there to add some info...

It is not the lack of any interest Dakardrix. Some people like us just seem to take a lot longer to work out some of these puzzles. Especially if you are not in the It field. So we've gone back to school for this Public key/Private key caches that you planted. So as soon as we figure that out we will do them. We normally take 3 nights aweek doing what we call 'homework " to figure some of these caches out.

It is not the lack of any interest Dakardrix. Some people like us just seem to take a lot longer to work out some of these puzzles. Especially if you are not in the It field. So we've gone back to school for this Public key/Private key caches that you planted. So as soon as we figure that out we will do them. We normally take 3 nights aweek doing what we call 'homework " to figure some of these caches out.

:) Tx, good to know! BTW, Public Key encryption forms part of something like your online banking - every time you see the lock on your browser, it is the type of encryption in use (a bit more obfuscated, but part and parcel)

dakardrix - we have also given it a lot of thought, brainstorming and googling.... will contact you soon for some assistance. two friends are engineers and I would love to beat them at solving the puzzle with my limited IT knowledge...

Cool! Just to get everyone interested started, the background refers to the most useful PGP tool that you can use - 'Portable PGP', you can download from http://ppgp.sourceforge.net - use the smallest download there, can't remember which one it is...

:D For some puzzles, the owner could just as well have given no clues at all, and it will make no difference in my ability to solve it.. :)

Some are just impossible (without getting help, of course :ph34r: )

...not mine, I hope!? :D

Let's make a deal...

Please leave me a hint inside Astrofix ?

Ok! Oh, you mean the actual cache??? I just look at the numbers and I go numb - can hardly find my way home (with a GPS) then you want me to cross my mental block with maths, trig, that kind of stuff...!! Private Key is much simpler, just a cut-and-paste job...

Laat ek sien of ek dit kan uitfigure (sonder om die GreenJaM gang te corner!)...