Orgeon 400t help

en3chix

I just got the Orgeon 400t and so far love it. I haven't had a chance to geocach with it yet ( I got it last night and I am workinhg today) but I can get a signal while in my house! This unit is hands down better than my 9 year old garmin (forgot which model). My question, can I use this unit for street nav or should I get a Nuvi or simular model? The street maps are $100 on the Garmin website and I was wondering if it is worht it. Thanks.

I just got the Orgeon 400t and so far love it. I haven't had a chance to geocach with it yet ( I got it last night and I am workinhg today) but I can get a signal while in my house! This unit is hands down better than my 9 year old garmin (forgot which model). My question, can I use this unit for street nav or should I get a Nuvi or simular model? The street maps are $100 on the Garmin website and I was wondering if it is worht it. Thanks.

I have the same unit but my preference is still to have a nuvi in the car, that bigger screen and speech just works better for driving.

Sure can. Opposite to the other two above me, i prefer having everything in one unit especially on mad dash runs. I dont need a voice prompt or live traffic, and the screen is ample size.

Have an automotive profile, and a geocaching profile. Auto-route to the cache using the former profile (icons on menu set in a certain order, city navigator maps up etc) , quickly change profiles on the Oregon to "Geocaching" and automagically load up topo maps, route via direct route etc.. all in one click. Very good all-in-one unit.

Both are good options for the reasons mentioned in previous posts.

On a personal basis, I gotta go with the Oregon and Nuvi. I had routeable maps on my 60CS, and loved them. Then I got a Nuvi and used it exclusively for getting to the caches. It had a brighter and larger screen, voice, and it was much, much easier to enter waypoints (IMO). The Nuvi also has other features not offered by the Oregon.

I traded my 60CS for an Oregon, and still feel the same way.

That being said, I think you will be happy either way you go.

Have an automotive profile, and a geocaching profile. Auto-route to the cache using the former profile (icons on menu set in a certain order, city navigator maps up etc) , quickly change profiles on the Oregon to "Geocaching" and automagically load up topo maps, route via direct route etc.. all in one click. Very good all-in-one unit.

I am new to the 400T and am not sure how to set up these profiles that you mentioned. Can you run through a quick description of how to set them up and then how you switch at the cache?

I have the 300 and bought the city navigator maps - and it's nice. It's handy to start off in street mode, get navigated to the cache site, then recalculate off road and find it from there. I think i'm going to get me a nuvi also, but mostly just so when I get me a new motorcycle i'll have it for that. The routing on the Oregon with city navigator works fine, despite the maps not being 100% accurate.

And just for the record I've found the 12v adapter cord doesn't make the screen any brighter, it just keeps the backlight turned on all the time instead of going off after a minute or two. But I dont' have any trouble seeing it at all.

I am new to the 400T and am not sure how to set up these profiles that you mentioned. Can you run through a quick description of how to set them up and then how you switch at the cache?

Profiles are already set up from Garmin. Just find the profile icon and select the profile you want. All of them can be tweaked to your likings, but Garmin did a good job setting them up.

I also use nuvi on the dash and Oregon 400t for the final approach. If we are off road or hiking for caches we just the Oregon. nuvi 750 and 765 we have just to big to fit in my hand. Also hate getting close and not having a compass.